double DIN w/ topo maps recommendation - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

double DIN w/ topo maps recommendation

i've an '06 LJ, i bought a new bezel that will take a double DIN radio. i'd like something that has the ability to run apps, specifically something like the GAIA GPS app. i've got a garmin GPS in the jeep already, but i cant download topo maps unfortunately.

if i get a radio that has apple CarPlay, can i open the GAIA app and run it from my phone via bluetooth?

or, would i bet better off using the radio apps for on the road nav and getting an external GPS with topo capabilities? i plan on using the topo for northern az, southern colorado areas.

thanks for your suggestions.

cheers, MD

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-19-2019, 03:44 PM
voodooridr

I have the topo chip in my Garmin handheld (etrex 30) but I've never seen the option to add it to any of the automotive products
It would be cool to have on the Kenwood with Garmin NAV in my F250

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
madduck
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i've a 2014 F150 and the infotainment that year sucked! in 2015 ford changed their system and it's much better. a buddy has a '16 raptor, his radio works just like using an app...more or less, i think.
only recently did i decide to upgrade the jeep radio so i'm still researching what's avail in aftermarket radios. man...there are a ton of options. of course they all tell ya what they can do, it's what cant do or dont do well is the info i want.

i'm still researching but i thought i'd ask in case someone else has gone down this road already.

post #4 of 4 Old 09-26-2019, 10:47 PM
RLD831

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Since you mentioned Carplay, I assume you have an iPhone. If you're not totally into the Apple ecosystem, they have some really nice 2 Din Android radios. I've purchased them on eBay and Amazon. I've never really used Gaia GPS, but I did install it on my radio to check it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in