Craigslist CB - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 04-28-2010, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Craigslist CB

So I just bought two CBs and some Coax cabling off Craigslist for $20. They both work in the sense they power on. They came with a tiny lil' antenna I'm not even gonna bother with, this thing has a magnetic base and is barely a foot high!

So I'm thinking of grabbing a 4 foot Firestik (Amazon.com: FireStik FS4-B 4' Black Antenna w/ Tuneable Tip: Electronics) and I want to mount it onto the side of the tire stopper on the rear passenger side.

Will this result in a good setup? How would I go about mounting the Firestik and such? I also need to get a SWR tuner. Anyone got a good one to recommend?

I might stop by the local truck stop to see if they have the Firestik and tuner instead of buying it online and paying the shipping.

EDIT: Is this all I'd need in a SWR Tuner or is there one any cheaper? http://www.amazon.com/METER-Radio-An...2512421&sr=8-2

Last edited by Fhajad; 04-28-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Also, I can't find anything that well to dictate HOW to wire up an antenna. Will my coaxial cable work with the Firestik? How does the Firestik sit in a mount and connect to the cable?

I can't find a good over view on it anywhere and I'd to know for sure what I need to buy.
post #3 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 03:37 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Coax cable should be replaced if it is old or shows signs of damage.

Firestik.com has great Tech and FAQ pages that answer any antenna questions and solve most problems. The info applies to any brand of CB antenna.

Firestik has many types of CB antenna mounting brackets and shows how to assemble your antenna, coax, antenna stud, and mounting bracket.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Started reading through the Firestik.com stuff. And I discovered even though the Coax I have is new, it's meant for dual antenna, not single.

Anyone know if it's possible to just get 15 foot Coaxial anywhere? Cause I'd rather not have to keep 10 feet of cable under my seats and keep the run as small as possible.
post #5 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 12:53 PM
mylt1

what do you mean its meant for 2 antennas? does it have 3 ends, one on a single wire and they a Y with an end on each lead? as for the cable, you can buy it from several places on the net and buy the ends as well and just make your own cable as long as you need it.
post #6 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
what do you mean its meant for 2 antennas? does it have 3 ends, one on a single wire and they a Y with an end on each lead? as for the cable, you can buy it from several places on the net and buy the ends as well and just make your own cable as long as you need it.
It's RG-59 where as single specs call for RG-58.

I'm looking here on Amazon: Amazon.com: 15 RG-58: Electronics and not sure 100% what the name of the connector is to make sure what I need. What I have now has a flattened spot on the edge of the radio. Which of these gives me that result?
post #7 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM
little_Jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There is a Pilot Truck stop off I-65 to the South of you (Cementville?) that has a real good CB shop in it. They have lots of Firestic stuff as well as a Tech on staff.... or at least they did last time I was there (a few years ago). 18 foot is the shortest coax that I know of.

Go to Stu Olsen's Web site for more information and installation help.

CB Radio Antenna Installation

Exposing the 18' CB Coax Myth

In our area, you will want a 3 foot antenna mounted about spare tire high for trail use.... any higher, antenna just gets knocked off by brush. If you want to use CB on highway, you will need to get an additional 4 foot Firestic (approx. $20.00) The longer antenna will rise about your roof line better which is what you want for highway use. Don't buy those silly springs thinking it will allow you to use only one antenna,,, don't work, I have been there, done that
post #8 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_Jeep View Post
There is a Pilot Truck stop off I-65 to the South of you (Cementville?) that has a real good CB shop in it. They have lots of Firestic stuff as well as a Tech on staff.... or at least they did last time I was there (a few years ago). 18 foot is the shortest coax that I know of.

Go to Stu Olsen's Web site for more information and installation help.

CB Radio Antenna Installation

Exposing the 18' CB Coax Myth

In our area, you will want a 3 foot antenna mounted about spare tire high for trail use.... any higher, antenna just gets knocked off by brush. If you want to use CB on highway, you will need to get an additional 4 foot Firestic (approx. $20.00) The longer antenna will rise about your roof line better which is what you want for highway use. Don't buy those silly springs thinking it will allow you to use only one antenna,,, don't work, I have been there, done that
Roughly 190 mile round trip seems a bit much for a lil' ol' CB setup on a Jeep. I'll give a look at the Pilot near my house tonight and see what they have. Hopefully I can find some of these for cheaper than Amazon (At least in shipping especially)

I'm planning on a 4' since I mostly do highway driving right now and it's my DD to/from work 40 miles each way. Whenever I start doing a lot more off road, I'll put in a 3' and sell off the 4' or something.

Thanks for the reading material!
post #9 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM
little_Jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fhajad View Post
Roughly 190 mile round trip seems a bit much for a lil' ol' CB setup on a Jeep. I'll give a look at the Pilot near my house tonight and see what they have. Hopefully I can find some of these for cheaper than Amazon (At least in shipping especially)

I'm planning on a 4' since I mostly do highway driving right now and it's my DD to/from work 40 miles each way. Whenever I start doing a lot more off road, I'll put in a 3' and sell off the 4' or something.

Thanks for the reading material!
Oppppppps. I was thinking of wrong town. Forgive me. Look for a Pilot Truck stop in your area, they all sell firestic Antenna's and stuff. Thry all have a real good selection of CB stuff.... SOME Pilot Truck Stops have a full CB sales/repair/service shop as Truckers are their main client.
post #10 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oppppppps. I was thinking of wrong town. Forgive me. Look for a Pilot Truck stop in your area, they all sell firestic Antenna's and stuff. Thry all have a real good selection of CB stuff.... SOME Pilot Truck Stops have a full CB sales/repair/service shop as Truckers are their main client.
Cementville is south about 80 miles. It's not far, but it's far enough. (Shelbyville is along I-74)

The nearest Pilot is literally 4 miles away, so I'll just head over there.
post #11 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 02:16 PM
little_Jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Cementville is south about 80 miles. It's not far, but it's far enough. (Shelbyville is along I-74)

The nearest Pilot is literally 4 miles away, so I'll just head over there.
I haven't look at a map, but you are Southeast of Indy IIRC. If you are not a member of Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association (Indiana 4WD Association - Home Page) you need to be. I was originally thinking Shelbyville was just North of Memphis, IN.

BTW, the Firestic antenna's just screw into the base, so once you have the antennas tuned to the vehicle, you can swap from the 3 foot to the 4 foot as much as you desire.
post #12 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I haven't look at a map, but you are Southeast of Indy IIRC. If you are not a member of Indiana Four Wheel Drive Association (Indiana 4WD Association - Home Page) you need to be. I was originally thinking Shelbyville was just North of Memphis, IN.

BTW, the Firestic antenna's just screw into the base, so once you have the antennas tuned to the vehicle, you can swap from the 3 foot to the 4 foot as much as you desire.
Sounds good on all counts.

So pretty much I just need to get a Coax cable, a mount, the Firestik and a tuner and good to go? I'll report back after I return from Pilot. I got the price if I order that all online and I'll compare. If it's the same or not even that much more, I'll pull the trigger for it.
post #13 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
little_Jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds good on all counts.

So pretty much I just need to get a Coax cable, a mount, the Firestik and a tuner and good to go? I'll report back after I return from Pilot. I got the price if I order that all online and I'll compare. If it's the same or not even that much more, I'll pull the trigger for it.
Some places will charge you like $5.00 to tune the antenna once you install the CB and all.. The SWR meter is approximately $30.00 and really is only needed when you get a new antenna.
post #14 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 03:02 PM
mylt1

Quote:
It's RG-59 where as single specs call for RG-58.

I'm looking here on Amazon: Amazon.com: 15 RG-58: Electronics and not sure 100% what the name of the connector is to make sure what I need. What I have now has a flattened spot on the edge of the radio. Which of these gives me that result?
RG-59 is TV cable. it is also 75ohm instead of the 50ohm RG-58 is. the connector on the radio is a PL259. they are available in both solder on and non solder from radio shack in the electronics bin. its a bin that looks like a tool chest. you can get RG-58 from rat shack as well but you can get better quality stuff on the web.
post #15 of 27 Old 04-29-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Fhajad

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Some places will charge you like $5.00 to tune the antenna once you install the CB and all.. The SWR meter is approximately $30.00 and really is only needed when you get a new antenna.
I got one anyway. Roughly $22 for it. Overall I just spent $75 which was only about $10 over my Amazon costs total so worth the non-wait. And who knows, some of my friends might get a CB now and need to borrow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
RG-59 is TV cable. it is also 75ohm instead of the 50ohm RG-58 is. the connector on the radio is a PL259. they are available in both solder on and non solder from radio shack in the electronics bin. its a bin that looks like a tool chest. you can get RG-58 from rat shack as well but you can get better quality stuff on the web.
I went ahead and bought finished cable. If I had a spool of RG-59 sitting around I'd do that plan but I don't.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in