CB sound is crappy, is it due to poor cable quality? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 04-23-2007, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

CB sound is crappy, is it due to poor cable quality?

I had a cb in my YJ years ago, it got totaled so i took it out and it sit in the garage. Now I installed it into my new TJ and it isnt as loud as it was before. I noticed the cables were a little corroded looking. It kinda gets louder when I wiggle the plug around. I tried fooling with tthe volume and squelch, no avail. You guys think a new cable would solve the problem? or might it be the CB itself?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

CB sound is crappy, is it due to poor cable quality?

I had a cb in my YJ years ago, it got totaled so i took it out and it sit in the garage. Now I installed it into my new TJ and it isnt as loud as it was before. I noticed the cables were a little corroded looking. It kinda gets louder when I wiggle the plug around. I tried fooling with tthe volume and squelch, no avail. You guys think a new cable would solve the problem? or might it be the CB itself?
post #3 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 12:18 AM
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go the cheapest route first, get a new cable!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!

post #4 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 AM
mpyusko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

the cable most likely. Also, you might want to find an SWR meter. Radio Shack sells them for like $35. It will help you tune your CB, Cable, and Antenna to peak performance.
Also, it helps to have a really clean contact between your antenna/mount/body. The antenna relies on your vehicle as a ground plane. It affects the reception considerably.

-mpyusko
_________
'97 SE Black, 4cyl/5spd, Soft top, Jeeperman Rear Bumper, 33x12.5x15 Trxus M/T's, 4" Lift, 1" JKS MML
BLACK JEEP Club V2.0 #84
Rust-Bucket Build-Ups Club Member

post #5 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Chris @ GATR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

2 most important factors in radio transmission and receive quality are:

1. Good quality RGX or Mini8
2. Antenna tuned properly with SWR meter.

Got ignorance? Please see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4yor View Post
Chris, I just think your having buyers remorse for all the work in your 8.8 for no added gain (over the Dana 35).
post #6 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
03jeeper78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hyde

I would definitely add a good ground connection to that list.

'03 Bright Silver Metallic TJ Sport
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
post #7 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 02:42 PM
mylt1

what cables are you talking about?
post #8 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hyde

What is a rgx or mini8? I have the antenna bolted to the spare tire carrier (stock) and the andenna is a 64" whip. it attaches to the coil via an allen. can this be tuned? if so how?
post #9 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1
what cables are you talking about?
Dont bash me, Radio Shack. I just want something that i can use while out with the club on the trails. Is there any way of testing the cb without another cb to make sure it works properly?
post #10 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Either check or have cheked the SWR (Standing Wave Ratio) of the System.

If it is in the area of 1.1 to 1.5 to 1 then your connections to the antenna are OK.

If above that then you have to have things checked out, connections, coax and ground strap connections.
Sometimes it is as easy as running a ground strap from the Antenna Mount to the Frame, sometimes not.

Start by checking the SWR; see where that takes you then you have a reference point.

The Coax at Rat Shaq will work, yes, but it will also bring in noise and lose more power on transmissions.
I am a against Rat Shaq only because I believe they are taking advantage of people by selling inferior products, I don't mean to bash anyone just the Rat shaq Products.
If you notice Rat Shaq is selling Name Brand Products, they are going away from the Radio Shack Name.

Luck on the project,

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !
post #11 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeofoever
What is a rgx or mini8? I have the antenna bolted to the spare tire carrier (stock) and the andenna is a 64" whip. it attaches to the coil via an allen. can this be tuned? if so how?
RG8X and Mini8 is simply a bigger diameter cable than the standard RG58 cable most CB'rs use. That said, as someone who has been using RG8, RG8x, min-8 and other coaxes since the sixties, you won't be able to tell the difference on a 4 watt CB with basic less costly more flexible RG58. There's simply not enough loss in the 12-15' length of antenna cable for it to make any difference to a CB by using RG58.

Yes it could be tuned but unless it can be moved up and down after loosening the allen bolt, it won't be easy. If it can be moved up and down in the mount, then it can. Use an SWR meter (they include instructions) to tune for minimum SWR and the antenna is tuned.

A mistuned antenna will not affect how well it receives however, that only affects how well it transmits.

So far as things making noise when you wiggle a cable, which cable are you talking about? The antenna cable or power cable? Either way, a connection is likely just corroded which could probably be fixed by just cleaning it up and maybe resoldering it.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #12 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 08:17 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

(two identical threads merged into this one)

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #13 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The coax cable is what made noise. I think i might have it too long as well, there was plenty extra so i tucked it under the carpet, probably a bad idea. It seems many of the CB/ trucker shops are closing around Los Angeles. Anybody recommend someplace to get some cable? What length should I buy? I have it coming out the back, where the tailgate hinges and it is mounted on the spare tire carrier.
Thanks
post #14 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 11:21 PM
mpyusko
1997 TJ Wrangler 

radio shack or the ever famous "Internet".

-mpyusko
_________
'97 SE Black, 4cyl/5spd, Soft top, Jeeperman Rear Bumper, 33x12.5x15 Trxus M/T's, 4" Lift, 1" JKS MML
BLACK JEEP Club V2.0 #84
Rust-Bucket Build-Ups Club Member

post #15 of 25 Old 04-24-2007, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Sky Hye

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Im through with radio shack, they dont know squat there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in