CB shopping list - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

CB shopping list

Alright, I think I know all the stuff to get for my first CB. I linked to Walcottcb.com since I've seen many posts with positive experiences about them, and I'll be getting most things via the net anyway.

So here's my list:

Uniden Pro520XL
http://www.walcottcb.com/uniden-pro5...ack-p-532.html

Wilson antenna
http://www.walcottcb.com/wilson-flex...nas-p-542.html

coax cable
http://www.walcottcb.com/rg8x-coax-c...gth-p-728.html

stud mount
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-k4...ion-p-247.html

SWR meter
http://www.walcottcb.com/vanco-swr1-...ax-p-1031.html

Alright, so do I have all the basics listed? I know I'll probably need some heavy gauge wire, grounding straps, fuses, antenna mount (probably will just use a scrap piece of metal to mount to the rear tire carrier), zips ties, etc. But am I missing anything major?

Also, anything listed above that should be changed? (and why)

I assume all the cables and components just screw together with "standard" connectors? (PL259) Or am I missing an adapter or something?

The coax length was just a guess, more importantly I'm making sure I'm choosing the correct type.

What about that Wilson antenna? Is that the Flex-i-whip I have read about here on JF? I see FS II are popular, but a flexible whip seems better for the trees here on our trails.

Is that SWR meter good enough?

Sorry for the novel and 20 questions, I just want to do this the correct way the first time. As always, thanks a bunch!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-04-2007, 08:02 PM
luckyjeeper

Sounds about right! Any decent SWR meter will get the job done, just depends on grounding and how much adjustment your antenna will tune. I got the Firestik II brand antenna, very impressed so far. I also got the firestik quick disconect stud mount just so I can remove easier when I'm not using full time. (altho a week with it, i'm starting to enjoy it so much that I may just install the regular/permanent mount)

Should be your typical Coax (PL259) plus the UHF connectors, all very radio shackable if you need while installing.

I'm still waiting on my SWR meter to get here to final tune but so far my unit seems to be doing fine with the tip adjusted mid way.

Good luck good buddy, over and out, or as the truckers say "all the good numbers to ya, flickin' the big switch for tonight!"
post #3 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 05:04 AM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

This setup should work out OK.

I like the Radio and Antenna the Coax doesn't say the manufacturer, it should be OK, but is 12 Feet enough ???

The Stud Mount, it will work OK, but don't foerget that the PL259 Connector on the end of the Coax and that it required for this particular Stud Mount, will require a larger hole in the Body of the Vehicle to fit it through.
How to fix that, maybe use Ring Lug type of Stud Mount.
Ring Lugs are easier to crimp on, coax with Ring Lugs, they don't require as large a hole in the body, and can be replaced on the trail a lot easier, if the coax gets ripped off of the mount.

What Antenna Mount will you be using ?

Double Check the Coax Length needed.

Scrambler82

Do it right the first time !

post #4 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF

This setup should work out OK.

I like the Radio and Antenna the Coax doesn't say the manufacturer, it should be OK, but is 12 Feet enough ???

The Stud Mount, it will work OK, but don't foerget that the PL259 Connector on the end of the Coax and that it required for this particular Stud Mount, will require a larger hole in the Body of the Vehicle to fit it through.
How to fix that, maybe use Ring Lug type of Stud Mount.
Ring Lugs are easier to crimp on, coax with Ring Lugs, they don't require as large a hole in the body, and can be replaced on the trail a lot easier, if the coax gets ripped off of the mount.

What Antenna Mount will you be using ?

Double Check the Coax Length needed.
Not sure about the length yet, I just wanted to make sure I was choosing the correct type. I'll be doing the string thing as discussed in my other CB post.

I'll look into the ring lug type. I didn't search that long, so I just picked what I knew would work.

Antenna mount will be nothing more than a piece of flat/bent steel attached to the rear tire carrier. Or maybe a rear light bracket, I haven't made up my mind yet.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 08:19 AM
dirtball28
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have ordered that coax twice from Walcott (different length though), it is Belden, at least that is what they sent me both times. 12 feet might work if you can find a direct enough route from the stud to the cb without it being in the way. As NnF said though, you might want to go with ring connectors instead. I went with the PL259 connectors as it seemed more straight forward at first glance, however really the only way I could figure to route it into the jeep without drilling or cutting off a connector is through the corner of the soft top window.

I also have that antenna in 3ft on the tire carrier and the quick disconnect version of that stud mount. Both have worked well so far. I get one or two miles around my house and near town but once I get out on the highways and away from the buildings, telephone poles, etc that range improves significantly. The metal washer (not the nylon one obviously) on the stud has corroded significantly however, due to exposure to rain, snow, and salt over the winter. It rusted pretty quickly too. Replacing a washer is no big deal though and the rest of the stud is just fine. The quick disco is nice for the parking garages in town.

Hey imagine that, I have the same meter also...it works just like it should.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by symbiont7
Not sure about the length yet, I just wanted to make sure I was choosing the correct type. I'll be doing the string thing as discussed in my other CB post.
Depending on the Stud Type you get, get the Coax Ends to match.

Quote:
I'll look into the ring lug type. I didn't search that long, so I just picked what I knew would work.
Something like this gives you the Ring Lugs and a Quick Disco all in one.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-qd...unt-p-586.html

This is just the Stud with Ring Lugs.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-k4...ors-p-248.html

The only thing I didn't look at is the metal type, look for S/S if available.

Quote:
Antenna mount will be nothing more than a piece of flat/bent steel attached to the rear tire carrier. Or maybe a rear light bracket, I haven't made up my mind yet.
Good Action, I will be making my own also out of 3" Aluminum Angle.

The Taillight bracket, although I do not like them, appear to be used by a lot of poeple and most are happy with them.

Either will work OK.
I like the look of the antenna in the middle rear of the vehicle.
Everyone to their own.

Luck,

Scrambler82

post #7 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 02:18 PM
TJgreg

2005 TJ Wrangler 

do yourself a favor and get the coax with 'fire ring' or other similar setup. With this, a bad connection to the antenna will be non-existent, and will be much more idiot proof to set up.

http://www.knowwhere2jeep.com/catalo...oducts_id=7320

Semper Fi
post #8 of 9 Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
ImaginaryFriend

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF
...Something like this gives you the Ring Lugs and a Quick Disco all in one.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-qd...unt-p-586.html

This is just the Stud with Ring Lugs.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-k4...ors-p-248.html
Those are the exact stud mounts I looked up today after seeing this thread and the two pictures newjeeperguy supplied (2nd and 4th post on that page).
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...t=ring+antenna

I was confused about the whole "ring lug" term until I saw those, and now it all makes sense! I thought they were some special radio connectors, but they're just regular ol' electric ring lugs!

A small hole for a small cable makes so much more sense than drilling out for a larger PL259 connector.

Thanks for all the help! I think I have an excellent idea now of the installation procedure and requirements. Only thing left is to figure out where I want the radio at (it's a DD), so I'm off to look at more threads!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 AM
Scrambler82

1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJgreg
do yourself a favor and get the coax with 'fire ring' or other similar setup. With this, a bad connection to the antenna will be non-existent, and will be much more idiot proof to set up.

I would stick to Ring Lugs or the Standard PL-259 UHF Connector.

The Fire Ring has not proven itself, until it has stay away from it.

ltr

Scrambler82

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in