Backup Camera with iPhone for a monitor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 03-17-2012, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Backup Camera with iPhone for a monitor

I was wondering if there was a way to hookup a backup camera to an iPhone, wether it is bluetooth, adhoc network, or wired in. I downloaded the Garmin USA app for my iPhone a few days ago and have been so happy with it that I got to thinking what else can I use my iPhone for in my Jeep.

I originally was going to get an in dash GPS head unit and a backup camera, but a good head unit alone is $700-$1300. I downloaded the Garmin app for $49 and will be writing up something in the JK section when a few things come in that will make it even better (mounting, etc.).

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
Maineshootah

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What about something like this.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-pla-_-NA-_-NA

I guess my YJ Is my midlife crisis therapy.....

My 95 YJ cross country (AZ to ME) frame swap thread.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/maineshootahs-cross-country-95-yj-build-1487587/
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

What you linked to is a remote for the iPhone camera. That is not what I am talking about.

What I am talking about is having a video camera mounted on the bumper and instead of using a double din head unit for viewing the camera, using the iPhone instead.

With a 35" spare occupying the rear view, it is hard to see backing up, especially when hooking up a trailer by myself.

Using the iPhone to do this would be a lot cheaper than the usual setup.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Xpress

1996 ZJ 

Garage
All you would need is a camera that transmits bluetooth signals when turned on... Google "Bluetooth camera".

'96 ZJ 5.2L, IRO 3.5" lift, KOR radiator support, MVF steering brace, IronMan 1 Ton
post #5 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm leaning towards something that I could setup an adhoc network with since my phone will be paired with head unit. It may sound funny but baby monitor types of cameras and applications may be more suited, but I need to find one that can stand the elements.

post #6 of 11 Old 03-18-2012, 09:43 AM
FastHotRod

I can't say that I've seen anything like that before... but I have seen replacement rear view mirrors that have a monitor built into them. That way, when you put it into reverse the camera kicks on and gives you a good view of what's behind you. They look something like these:

I did a search on Google and found a lot of different types, depending on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Looks like right about $100 or so for the complete kit. You can probably find them a bit cheaper elsewhere if you look around a little bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Rv-725c-Rear-view-Mirror-Monitor-Features/dp/B002REKR3W
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM4300WIR-Wireless-4-3-Inch-Universal/dp/B004V9GQT0
http://www.amazon.com/PLCM103-Rearview-Mirror-Monitor-License/dp/tech-data/B0037WT752

Hope this helps.

Mark

ETA: You mentioned mounting your iPhone... take a look at Ram Mounts if you want something solid. They make good stuff.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-20-2012, 03:01 PM
FastHotRod

I saw someone else post about cameras from Contour that can do Bluetooth video for iPhone. (ContourGPS and Contour+ have Bluetooth capability.)

I did some checking, and people have said that the iPhone 4 can do simultaneous Bluetooth connections, just not for the same thing. In other words, you supposedly can run a set of headphones while using a Bluetooth keyboard, but not two sets of headphones at the same time.

It might be worth an e-mail to their technical support department to ask them what kind of connection their camera makes, and what issues you may have with that setup. You're looking at $300-500 for a camera like that though, so the permanent camera/monitor I linked before is going to be a little less expensive than the Contour camera.

Good luck.

Mark
post #8 of 11 Old 08-27-2013, 10:38 AM
4ucam

Yes - there is a way to hookup a backup camera to an iPhone

"I was wondering if there was a way to hookup a backup camera to an iPhone"
There is backup camera that can display on iPhone, via WiFi.
See demo view on youtube below.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MlM3fVf99B4

Package comes with camera and wifi wireless transmitter, sending the wifi video to iPhone and Android phone.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-09-2013, 04:31 PM
4ucam

See User Product Review and Demo video for iPhone backup camera

Wifi backup camera, using iPhone Android as display

See User Product Review video

See Product Demo video

Want to purchase, use link below.
http://www.4ucam.com/iphone-android-...up-Camera.html
post #10 of 11 Old 07-03-2020, 11:37 AM
hydstar

i think you can check all iphone supported backup camera here https://toptentech.net/how-to-connec...era-to-iphone/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-04-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Holy necro thread revival

Tags
backup , camera , iphone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in