Any Hams out there..?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Any Hams out there..??

Hi..!! I'm getting ready to install my commercial Motorola Maratrac 100 watt 2 meter rig in my TJ. Anyone got any good ideas for antenna placement..?? I was thinking a Teraflex light bracket, Thick mount 3/4" NMO mount and Maxrad 5/8 wave 3 db springed antenna. I'd love your input, pictures, and complaints.
Still hung up on the mounting of my shelf, head and speaker. I also have an amp for my two 12" subs in there too, so its limited.
Thanks ahead of time..!!
73s
KB3THS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
mylt1

any special reason your going with a commercial rig instead of a amateur rig? not hating just wondering. an amateur rig offeres a lot more options suck as a VFO and adding ch's(freq's) from the keypad along with things like DTMF for making emergency phone calls through a repeater than has a phone patch. as for your question, the tail light mount would be fine or even mounting it to the front fender. also, after having a maxrad mag mount i will NEVER buy another product from them.
post #3 of 35 Old 10-27-2011, 05:35 PM
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i had the teraflex bracket on my tj and it works great. was easy to get low swr's and it got out really well. Now on my LJ i have a roof rack mounted so I am unable to use the teraflex mounts but sure wish i could.

post #4 of 35 Old 10-28-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I went with a commercial rig due to stability and readiness. The Motorola Maratrac takes a beating.
I never had any problems with the Maxrad products.
Phreak480, did you have an NMO mount on that..?? Did you go with a thick NMO mount..??
post #5 of 35 Old 10-29-2011, 08:08 AM
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, used a thick panel mount that was nmo on one end and so-239 on the bottom. had to slightly enlarge the holes with a file to get it to fit but it was worth the effort.
post #6 of 35 Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 AM
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
any special reason your going with a commercial rig instead of a amateur rig?
There may be several advantages: low cost, high power, rugged, and the ability to fix it yourself if need be due to the availability of technical literature and parts. Also the "coolness" factor...it's just different than the run of the mill transceiver.
post #7 of 35 Old 10-30-2011, 08:23 AM
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
There may be several advantages: low cost, high power, rugged, and the ability to fix it yourself if need be due to the availability of technical literature and parts. Also the "coolness" factor...it's just different than the run of the mill transceiver.
not cheaper, a 2m rig can be had for just over $120, most commercial rigs are a LOT more than that. amateur radio rigs are just as easy to fix, if not easier since there is a whole amateur world out there that has done the repairs before on any given radio. most amateur radios come with the schematics right in the box for tracing down any problems as well as a parts list. parts can be found in just about any electronics parts catalog/website/even radio shack has some. not really a coolness factor there. my 2m/70cm radio can change the display color, dual scan, dual monitor, and even has a video input so i can use the screen with a reverse cam or even input my GPS from my phone to it using a video out cable. while power output is a little higher in some commercial rigs some are actually less than even an entry level radio. most stand alone 2m rigs can be up to 75w, going from that to a 100w rig your only gaining i believe 6BD. which isnt that much and that can be overcome by using a good antenna which is key to any radio. i would rather have a cheap radio and a good antenna than a good radio and a cheap antenna. another mark against a commercial rig is no programming on the fly, so your limited to what you have programmed. amateur radios have a LOT more ch's available than a com rig and also has the available VFO so you can just run through the band and see who is on the air on other freq's. now, one good thing about running com gear is if your public service you can use it for ham and work. you cant do that legally with amateur gear which is why i have a Vertex Standard VX-800 programmed with my work freq's as well as the local repeaters. with 200chs i have plenty of room for all.
post #8 of 35 Old 10-30-2011, 08:53 AM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

He wouldnt even see that much gain. From a yaesu 8800, which is what, 50-55watts, to his rig, which is 100w, thats only 3db, and the 8800 is dual band/crossband. Put a 2900 against it, its 75w, vs the 100w, thats maybe 1db? You have to double the power to get a 3db gain, and once you get up there, its diminishing returns. Either way, the OP is going to be limited by the terrain more so then his power. The big question is, will the maratrac do your subaudible tones for repeater work? If it cant access repeaters, then you arent going to have the full benefit of using a 2m radio, the ability to link and get out long distances, whether it be to talk to someone, or seek help.
post #9 of 35 Old 10-30-2011, 11:59 AM
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like the Maratrac can be had for around $100 or less if you shop around. The Motorola tech manuals are far superior to any schematics that happen to be included with offshore amateur gear. Anyway, just a big fan of Motorola gear. btw...Motorola invented PL (ctcss).
post #10 of 35 Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can do PLs with mine. I haven't seen a Motorola radio yet that didn't do PLs.
Plus, I can use it for my public service comms too.
If I feel to call out using my Maratrac, I can get a key pad mic for that.
I love my Maratrac. The trusty thing was thrown from my vehicle when I rolled it and it still works, nothing broke. It can get wet, fully sealed.
As far as the difference between 50, 75 and 100 watts is in the antenna. I'm using a 5/8 wave Maxrad with 3 db gain. Worked well on the previous jeep, I'll use it again.
I don't need field programmability. That's what the HT with an external antenna is for. If I travel and want something in there, I'll put it in when I can, it i feel the need.
73s.

Firefighter, EMT, and Ham: KB3THS
05 TJ, 4.0L, 6 speed
-see profile
post #11 of 35 Old 10-31-2011, 09:03 PM
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Aww, ic, I didnt see anything from the cruddy pics online, that would indicate it had PLs. If it works for you, more power to you for not letting it go to waste.
post #12 of 35 Old 10-31-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
CountryBoysZJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

There is a method to my madness.
I do honestly plan to upgrade to an actual ham radio some day. Once our County decides to stay in one frequency band and I can have a designated radio for that and Ham.

Firefighter, EMT, and Ham: KB3THS
05 TJ, 4.0L, 6 speed
-see profile
post #13 of 35 Old 11-01-2011, 02:27 PM
XJ99

2019 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
after having a maxrad mag mount i will NEVER buy another product from them.

The Maxrad mag mounts do suck.
The Wislon mag mounts are solid!
(of course for 11 meters)

I mounted my Maxrad to the front
driver quater panel, and love it. I
get excellent audio reports, and it's
about the same height as the FM
antenna.

As for power, you'd see a lot better
performance from a beam, than with
power. Not that a beam is ideal for
mobile use.

I know a lot of people that run Motorola
rigs, and simply love them. I run a Yaesu
FT-7800 dual bander, not dual receive,
and really like it as well, but I like to change
frequencies while traveling. Motorolas are
rugged as hell, but need to be programmed.

Pics!

Maxrad MBD1444

Yaesu FT-7800

The seperation kit:

Talking from the beach back to a repeater located
in Raleigh, NC... 50 watts, with a 3 element yagi....

Have fun with what ever you choose!

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
post #14 of 35 Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 PM
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl48 View Post
Looks like the Maratrac can be had for around $100 or less if you shop around. The Motorola tech manuals are far superior to any schematics that happen to be included with offshore amateur gear. Anyway, just a big fan of Motorola gear. btw...Motorola invented PL (ctcss).
its to bad you have to have the motorola specific programming(which is damn near impossible to get unless your a dealer or you pirate it) then you have to have a PC running DOS to program it and not only do you have to have DOS your PC has to have a processor thats 386(cant remember if the slower 486's work). trust me, we have a couple of HT1000's and MT2000's and programming them is becoming a pain because of the antiquity or the PC needed to program them. "off shore amateur gear", whats that. you mean companies like Yeasu(whom owns Vertex/vertex standard there pro gear line) or Kenwood, or Icon all of who offer more and better radios than motorola in the pro line and motorola doesnt even offer amateur gear. and any radio made has CTCSS/PL tones build. even the older gear you could buy a PL tone board to install on radios that didnt come with them.
post #15 of 35 Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryBoysZJ View Post
There is a method to my madness.
I do honestly plan to upgrade to an actual ham radio some day. Once our County decides to stay in one frequency band and I can have a designated radio for that and Ham.
freq's isnt going to be your problem, the narrow band is. the older radios arent narrow band compliant.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in