Any hams on here? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
zpedrick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Any hams on here?

I'm looking to put a "real antenna" on the jeep for 2m/70cm. Right now I've got a mag-mount on there and it is horrible . I miss my Radial/Larsen with RG-400 (high quality coax). Basically, I'm wondering if anyone on here has mounted their antenna(s) by more semi-permanent means. And if so, where. I'm looking to get this antenna up as high as I can. I thought about mounting it at the top of the windshield, but I worry about it's durability on trails in the woods. I'd go with a cowl mount, but I'd like to keep the antenna in the center for a non-directional setup if at all possible. Any ideas? Pictures of your rigs would be nice. Thanks in advance, KC2PHO.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 07:37 PM
LTDan

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'm in the same boat with ya, I've got mine mag mounted to the rear bumper and it stinks. I'm looking at the mount that mounts to the spare tire bolts and then raises up to around the 3rd brake light level. The link is on here somewhere I'll see if I can find it again. KW4WKE

-edit- Couldn't find the thread but found the website:

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #2001

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hers: 2004 WJ 4.0L, Bright Silver

Last edited by LTDan; 10-06-2007 at 08:02 PM.
post #3 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've got a couple of permanent mounts on my TJ.....they seem to work equally well.

passenger rear corner....mounted on my side slider

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
zpedrick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

AWESOME!!! Thanks for the pics too. I'm not sure how I want to do it just yet. I could weld up a bracker like the one from Arizona Rocky Road (or buy it), or use an nmo-k mount on the front fender. (decisions decisions.......) I'm leaning more towards the mount in the rear, only because I think I may go with a 440 5/8 wave and 2m 5/8 wave. I can hit a lot of repeaters, but there's some that only trip the squelch and I know that with better antennas I could get into them. Also, I will be adding some 900mhz gear soon, which I may put on the front.
post #5 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
zpedrick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDan
I'm in the same boat with ya, I've got mine mag mounted to the rear bumper and it stinks. I'm looking at the mount that mounts to the spare tire bolts and then raises up to around the 3rd brake light level. The link is on here somewhere I'll see if I can find it again. KW4WKE

-edit- Couldn't find the thread but found the website:

http://www.arizonarockyroad.com/
Did you type that callsign correctly? I went to look you up on qrz.com and it says it's not in the database. Just wondering what class you were.
post #6 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Some other links to some of the radio equipment I've had in my TJ....

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc.asp

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

post #7 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 10:19 PM
matt1751

Hi. I haven't mounted any radios in my TJ yet and not sure if I will but If I did I was going to get one of those Cb antenna mounts that go behind the drivers side tail light and just drill out the hole to 3/4 so I could mount a NMO mount and cable. N2LFD

2002 TJ
2004 F250 PSD
1977 GMC Ambulance
2005 kawasaki Brute Force 750

post #8 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Got a small square rod from Lowes or Home Depot. Drill and mount to the side of spare tire mount.

2009 JK Rubicon. 2019 Mustang GT 6 Spd DD
Shrockworks Mid-width, Warn 9.5Ti; Skid Row Engine, LCA & Evap Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Diff Skids, Uniden 520XL CB, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro Fog Pocket.
Ouray - TJ-8/07
Moab - TJ: 4/06, 5/08, JK: 4/09, 5/11, 4/13, 5/16, 4/17, 5/18
Rubicon - TJ-9/08
Pics at
post #9 of 32 Old 10-06-2007, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
zpedrick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Perfect. Stu, nice site. Now I just have to buy my antennas. I'm going to look for a commercial grade 5/8th wave 2m and 440 antenna (2 separate antennas obviously). Any recommendations? I'll probably use the dual bander antenna I already have for aprs or something.
post #10 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 AM
slo9fo5oh
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Olson
I've got a couple of permanent mounts on my TJ.....they seem to work equally well.

passenger rear corner....mounted on my side slider
You sir,(Stu) you must stay drunk all the time from everyone buying you a beer for your help/assistance through your website.... I have to say, I owe you a couple, THANKS!!!!!
post #11 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpedrick
Perfect. Stu, nice site. Now I just have to buy my antennas. I'm going to look for a commercial grade 5/8th wave 2m and 440 antenna (2 separate antennas obviously). Any recommendations? I'll probably use the dual bander antenna I already have for aprs or something.
I have, over the past 15+ years, bought my mobile antennas from HRO. We have a local outlet here in Phoenix but buy them online is just as easy. I've had great luck with a variety of Diamond dual band antennas although other similarly priced brands have done equally well.

For the area I wheel in, I've found a 3' long dual band antenna to be pretty much the optimum setup. For a 2m/440 antenna in this length, I get reasonable gain but it doesn't make for a tree branch "grabber" on the tail. We have lots of overhanging brush and I've seen longer antennas get tangled up in them damage the antenna and/or mount.

That little 18" long dual band whip (in the 1st photo) on my front fender has survived years of abuse. Its very flexible nature has contributed greatly, that I am sure. It does lack good gain but if I need something just for the trail that day, or for running around town where repeater coverage is usually quite good, it does the job just fine.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

post #12 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo9fo5oh
You sir,(Stu) you must stay drunk all the time from everyone buying you a beer for your help/assistance through your website.... I have to say, I owe you a couple, THANKS!!!!!
If only it were so.

Interestingly enough, if I were to receive just $1 from each visitor that used my site on any particular month, I could easily purchase a new Rubicon every month and mod it into a nice rig to boot. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet. Maybe some month it will

Stu Olson
ARB Locked & Loaded

post #13 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Chris @ GATR

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You are aware that there is a forum just for radio and electronis talk, correct?

Got ignorance? Please see below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd4yor View Post
Chris, I just think your having buyers remorse for all the work in your 8.8 for no added gain (over the Dana 35).
post #14 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
zpedrick
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
You are aware that there is a forum just for radio and electronis talk, correct?
I am now, thanks.
post #15 of 32 Old 10-07-2007, 01:05 PM
matt1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpedrick

I sell commercial grade antenna's.. I will send you a PM with my info as i'm in NJ also,, I run a 5/8wave dual band antenna on my truck that works well.

matt
N2LFD

2002 TJ
2004 F250 PSD
1977 GMC Ambulance
2005 kawasaki Brute Force 750

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in