Any HAMs here? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-08-2007, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Malpaso

Any HAMs here?

Getting a new 4 door Wrangler X in a few weeks (hopefully sooner). Wondering what dos and don'ts folks can pass along with installing a HAM radio, including the radio itself, cabling and antenna. To start it will be for 2/440/220, but want to easily expand to HF.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-08-2007, 06:02 PM
TXjeep97

I got one... its an IC-2720H ( i think. The easter bunny brought me some Miller Lite!).

I started a thread here with pics of my install, search for it.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-08-2007, 06:17 PM
Trouble Maker
reckless endangerer

1993 ZJ 

Could always go with a Yaesu 857 although it won't do 220 it will do hf/vhf/uhf and the matching screwdriver antenna.

VE5 RSL

Russ
02 Dakota Quad Cab 4.7 5 spd

93 ZJ Stolen and wrecked Mar29/08

post #4 of 19 Old 04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
KA5IVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpaso
Getting a new 4 door Wrangler X in a few weeks (hopefully sooner). Wondering what dos and don'ts folks can pass along with installing a HAM radio, including the radio itself, cabling and antenna. To start it will be for 2/440/220, but want to easily expand to HF.
This is going to all depend on your budget.

I don't know anything about the real estate in the 2007 and the possible radio locations. That is going to be the biggest challenge. Multiply Radios may be hard to do. One radio is bad enough. Try Stu Olsen's website, he has a section about Ham rigs and how he did his in his TJ.

You could get an Icom IC-7000, IC-706g, or the Yaesu FT-857d. This would provide the HF/VHF/UHF in a single radio. The 220 is going to be a problem. I don't believe any of the manufacturers are currently making any radios that include the 220 band with other bands. You can find some single 220 band radios.

There was a post on one of the forums by a Ham with a 2007 & a screw driver antenna. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...+antenna+mount It looked nice!

If you are not licensed for HF yet, you can always just listen. I do that about 90% of the time during drive time and use a cheap CB antenna to do it.

KA5IVR ~ 2006 Rubicon, Flame Red, Hanson Bumpers, Warn 9.5ti, and a lot of other $$$ sucking items...
post #5 of 19 Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
Geeps

I have a Yaesu FT-8900 mounted in one of my cup holders using a RAM- A - CAN.

Here's a picture of it:

I have other pictures located here with a brief description of the rest of the mount.

http://otrattw.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=90#90

There is a closeup of the Diamond mount and antenna on the same page.

The main body of the radio is stored safely away in the trunk.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-09-2007, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Malpaso

I guess I didn't give enough detail on what I was looking for. I already have the radios in my F-150. What I was looking for was tips on locating the rig in a Wrangler, running the power cables and coax, and where to put the antenna.

1. Is there an easy pass through the firewall from the battery to the passenger compartment for the power cable?
2. Does the panel below the radio come out easily, and would the radio mount well there?
3. I'm used to having a lot of sheet metal for a mag mount. Where if the best place for the antenna, rear corner panel (if so, how did you make the 90* turn), rear bumper, hood? What's the best routing for the coax?
post #7 of 19 Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 AM
tjchad

KI6BIG. Got an Icom IC-208H 2M/440 in the Jeep. I've just recently gotten on the air with it and so far it's been pretty cool.

Here's how I mounted my Radiall/Larsen NMO ( yes, I moved the CB antenna away...)

Chad- KI6BIG
'02 SportD442"BB
Pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Nwjeeper

If the new JKs are anything like the TJs then there isn't much room to mount anything that doesn't have a remoteable faceplate. I went with the Yeasu FT90 2M/440. It has a very small profile faceplate that can be remotely mounted. I put the face just above the rear view mirror and the radio down under the dash on the left side.

To be sure, the Jeep just does not make a good platform for comm radios. The CB I use is the Cobra 75wx. Everything is in the mic, about the size of a handheld, there is just no room for anything in the cab of a TJ. Even had a heck of a time finding places to put extra switches.

Then there is the antenna dilema, where to put it, can't put it in the roof. I used an on-glass from RS which works well for street use, but I have ripped it off just too many times on the trail and there is no replacement whip, you have to buy the whole stinking kit again. I really need to just make my own.

Good luck, 73s N7UMS
post #9 of 19 Old 04-10-2007, 11:35 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You're blazing a new trail for us so far as your getting ready to install radios into your new JK, that's a pretty new rig.

Maybe the JK still has that black rubber grommet above the driver's side footwell in the firewall that older TJs do. That grommet (drill a hole through it just big enough for the wiring then seal it with silicone) makes for a handy place to pass the power wiring into the engine compartment so it can be connected to the battery. That is key, do connect your rig's power cables directly to the battery and use an adequate gauge to help keep the noise down.

Lots of us hams here, that is for sure.

Jerry
N6TAY

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 19 Old 04-11-2007, 07:29 AM
fasteddy

Tj

I run a Yeasu Ft-1500 for 2 meter and a Diamond dual band antenna. For HF I have a Kenwood TS-570D hooked to a bandhopper antenna. BTW, I have cured 90% of the fuel pump noise with a home made filter. Will pass on the remedy to anyone who requests it.
Ed
KC0PZE
post #11 of 19 Old 04-11-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Malpaso

Will the cooltech work with a 2m antenna? I don't know anything about CB, other than it's 11m

It's not that life is so short, it's that you're dead for so long.
post #12 of 19 Old 04-11-2007, 02:33 PM
petrus
2008 JK Wrangler 

Jk

Yup, FireStik 2M-4 is working well for me. http://www.westcoastmall.net/shop/pr...roducts_id=194
post #13 of 19 Old 04-11-2007, 03:57 PM
tctrjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwjeeper
To be sure, the Jeep just does not make a good platform for comm radios.
I disagree. You simply need to find a way to use the space that is there. We have the following radio gear installed in our SAR Project Jeep.

Kenwood TM-D700A
Icom IC-706MKII-G
Uniden BC-796D Scanner
Midland 79-290 SSB CB

Granted that we are using a TJ, and that things may be different in the JK. It required some work and a few Tuffy boxes, but everything is in there and works fine. Details are available on our site...

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep/tuffy1.htm

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep/tuffy2.htm

http://www.commtechreview.net/jeep/jeepcomm.htm
post #14 of 19 Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
tjchad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy
I run a Yeasu Ft-1500 for 2 meter and a Diamond dual band antenna. For HF I have a Kenwood TS-570D hooked to a bandhopper antenna. BTW, I have cured 90% of the fuel pump noise with a home made filter. Will pass on the remedy to anyone who requests it.
Ed
KC0PZE
Fasteddy- I'm interested in your fuel pump noise fix. My ham is fine but my CB is singing like a prison canary...

Chad- KI6BIG
'02 SportD442"BB
Pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 19 Old 04-12-2007, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Malpaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malpaso
Will the cooltech work with a 2m antenna? I don't know anything about CB, other than it's 11m
Answer from the cooltech:
We have several HAM 2M guys using the mount. For the Ham guys, I have been
selling them the mount/coax/connector, etc. - basically the whole kit less
the CB antenna. The HAM guys use an antenna they aready have or, I would
recommend purchasing a 4' fiberglass 2M antenna directly from FireStik. (On
appearance, this 2M fiberglass antenna looks just like a CB antenna and the
mounting is identical.)

The price of the antenna kit without the CB antenna is $65. Just email me
when/if you are ready and I can make arrangements to ship you one.

It's not that life is so short, it's that you're dead for so long.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in