• 1 Post By CJ7-Tim
  • 1 Post By ravenworks
  • 1 Post By Jerry Bransford

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
gcstraub68
2009 JK Wrangler 

Airbag Wire harness under drivers seat

I have a small problem, my new 3 mo old puppy didn't like being left in the jeep and has sabotaged my airbag system. Under the drivers seat is the wire harness he has chewed one of the wires through and chewed several others. My airbag light is now lit all the time but no warning sound.

how difficult is it to replace this coming from the seat? how do I find out the part number short of calling the dealership? I am a do it yourself kind of guy but I am not finding the harness listed anywhere other than an new seat. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
wire harness.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 12:14 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's only some wires, use the appropriate size wire if necessary, and/or just solder them back together. Disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes to render the airbag system safe to work on. A new wire harness will likely cost several hundred dollars from the Dealership.
gcstraub68 likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 12:15 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Why not just cut it open and solder in splices?
gcstraub68 likes this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

post #4 of 10 Old 12-25-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
gcstraub68
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Tim, that was what I was hoping was the suggestion.
post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2016, 03:04 PM
digdug18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
It's only some wires, use the appropriate size wire if necessary, and/or just solder them back together. Disconnect the battery and wait 20 minutes to render the airbag system safe to work on. A new wire harness will likely cost several hundred dollars from the Dealership.
Replace the harness, don't solder on those wires. The system checks for resistance faults in the wiring harness as a pre-check. The airbag is a safety system that I wouldn't want to fail instead of deploying Or for it to accidentally deploy when my kid or me was driving.

This is in the spend the money and do it right the first time category.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2016, 05:37 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wondering how a solder joint will alter the resistance enough (any ?) to trigger an Air Bag fault ?

Since the air bag system is self testing, it will either be just fine, or will not work and will light the air bag fault lamp. There is no such thing as accidental air bag deployment from excess resistance.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-29-2016, 02:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by digdug18 View Post
Replace the harness, don't solder on those wires. The system checks for resistance faults in the wiring harness as a pre-check.
A properly installed splice is undetectable.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
gcstraub68
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks to all for the advice, to the point of adding resistance, I am not sure the solder would do that or not. However, my thought would be to instead of solder the wire use simple wire connectors and crimp the wires and connection, then re-wrap the harness and hide it up and away from the puppy. Thoughts?
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Electronic circuits are held together with solder, it works well enough that it has gone to the moon many times and keeps our computers working and aircraft flying.

Twist the wires solidly together so they have mechanical strength between them. That is what provides the solid connection, not the solder. Solder the twist with enough heat that the solder flows easily and completely into and through the splice. Heat the joint up with the soldering iron on one side enough so the solder melts when held against the joint on the other side. Don't try to melt the solder on the iron and let it drip onto the joint which will produce a cold/bad solder joint. Tape the splice up good or use heat-shrink insulating tubing afterward and you're done.
ravenworks likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2016, 06:17 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
A properly installed splice is undetectable.
Pretty much what I was going to say.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in