Aftermarket stereo amp locations - JeepForum.com
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 05-15-2020, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Aftermarket stereo amp locations

I was hoping to see where some people mounted their amps. The best case I've seen is here but for the life of me I can't figure out how to suspend/mount the amp there even though there is room there is nothing to attach it to as far as I can tell. I am looking for ideas since I need to install my amp soon. I'd rather not do it under the seat because of water and it is the most obvious place for a thief to look.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-17-2020, 10:23 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
I mount mine under the fold and tumble seats. You have to cut a thin piece of plywood... unzip the seat cover... slip the plywood in at the bottom of the seat... secure the plywood to the metal of the seat with a few small brackets.

This allows you to mount your amps upside down attached to the bottom of the seat so they donít touch the floor. It gives you some protection if it gets wet. Plus... if you wire it right the Amp(s) fold and tumble up and out of the way

If this doesnít make sense Iíll try and get some photos to explain it. I run 2 amps and an electronic cross over and I can fit all three this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TJosh02 and c82cj like this.

I want my two dollars!
post #3 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I ended up finding another thread over on another forum that explains what I was looking for. I was able to make a mounting plate and brackets out of aluminum and L brackets.

Other thread elsewhere

20200521_130613.jpg

This shows where the L brackets mount to the steering column bracket. There is also a hole in the bottom of that bracket that I will also use to bolt the mounting plate to as well. The hole in my plate lines up with that hole. The angle brackets weren't mounted yet when I took the mounting plate picture, but you probably get the point.

20200521_130617.jpg
backupoffmefoo likes this.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd

post #4 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 06:27 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Glad that worked out for you. My amps are 20Ē long and 10Ē wide so the location wouldnít work for my application.

I want my two dollars!
post #5 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
When you said fold and tumble seat, you mean the rear seat? That wouldn't work for me because I take it in and out all the time. Didn't want to put it under the front seats unless it was completely tucked up inside the seat as I was afraid of water damage. Under the steering column is a bit more inconspicuous as well, fwiw.

Curious if you ran new wires to the speaker bar speakers? How much of a PITA was it? I can't currently take my hardtop off, which makes removing the speaker bar impossible I think. Wasn't too keen on splicing into the stock harness to wire to the amp, but think I may have to.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #6 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:05 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage

What are you trying to do? Splice into the speaker wires so you can run a high level input or rca converter to the amp to avoid changing the factory stereo? (Aka no RCA jacks on the deck?

Yes I meant rear seat in my previous post.

I want my two dollars!
post #7 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:24 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Or are you:

1. trying to amp the signal to your factory speakers in the sound bar
2. Repacking the speakers in your sound bar and trying to run an amplified signal to them?

If so, how many watts is your amp? Your factory wiring will handle up to 75w. If you canít take the hard top off that will be your best and easiest bet. I believe the factory wires enter in at the base of the roll bar.

TJosh02 likes this.

I want my two dollars!
post #8 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
My amp is 60 wpc rms + 350 to the sub. I'll see if I can't find the speaker wire at the base of the roll bar at column B and see if I tap there instead. You saying it just made me realize that is a better option and easy to reverse if I even remove just the amp.

I was trying to run the speaker bar speakers directly from my amp (which gets RCAs in). But I didn't want to run wires from the amp all the way to the speaker bar speakers (which I already replaced using the factory wiring). I assume the HU can handle an open circuit if I clip the speaker wires and terminate them appropriately.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #9 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:33 PM
c82cj
1982 CJ7 

I'm looking to install a slim 8" sub with amp Rockville is the brand. I just need something to balance out all of the highs. any advice on that one? It would go in a '82 CJ-7
post #10 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:36 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJosh02 View Post
My amp is 60 wpc rms + 350 to the sub. I'll see if I can't find the speaker wire at the base of the roll bar at column B and see if I tap there instead. You saying it just made me realize that is a better option and easy to reverse if I even remove just the amp.

Thatís what I would do. Have you purchased the sub and box? What size sub? With a Jeep where the Top comes off I have the best results with ported enclosures and preferably down firing into the tub. (If possible)

I want my two dollars!
post #11 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:41 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by c82cj View Post
I'm looking to install a slim 8" sub with amp Rockville is the brand. I just need something to balance out all of the highs. any advice on that one? It would go in a '82 CJ-7

How many watts is the amp? The slim 8 will help but it all goes away with the top off.

My stereos are always WAY over the top but I keep my back seat and use the tiny space behind it. Here is my CJ with two 8Ē subs ported (downfiring) listening to my sons bass music. (With the top off)

My new setup is a single 10 and itís a bit stronger than this one. With a good tonneau cover I can hear a clear system and feel bass on the freeway at 70 MPH. Keep that in mind when you take my advice... Iím a bit of a nut about good clean audio in a Jeep.

I want my two dollars!
post #12 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have an Alpine*SWS-10D2 10" sub in a sealed enclosure (I modeled it myself and I used to build speakers as a hobby). The enclosure was just an empty box from Crutchfield but matched the Q I was going for. I realize ported is better with the top off (which I don't do here for a number of reasons) and I'd be a bit nervous of theft. I am replacing the normal binding posts with a Speakon connector (pro style...I use to use in my homebuilt all the time) so that I can take out the sub and put back in when needed super easily.

For this particular driver, which is pretty famous even in the home audiophile community, I'd probably build a small tapped horn to 50hz with a low Q roll off if I were to go bigger like a ported box would be.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd

Last edited by TJosh02; 05-21-2020 at 07:52 PM. Reason: grammar/typos
post #13 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 07:55 PM
backupoffmefoo

1981 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJosh02 View Post
I have an Alpine*SWS-10D2 10" sub in a sealed enclosure (I modeled it myself and I used to build speakers as a hobby). The enclosure was just an empty box from Crutchfield but it matched pretty closely the Q I was going for. I realize ported it better with the top off (which I don't do here for a number of reasons) and I'd be a bit nervous of theft. I am replacing the normal binding posts with a Speakon connector (pro style...I use to use in my homebuilt all the time) so that I can super easily take out the sub and put back in when needed.

For this particular driver, which is pretty famous even in the home audiophile community, I'd probably built a small tapped horn to 50hz with a low Q roll off if I were to go bigger like a ported.
The Alpine S is a great speaker. (I like the Type R as well) If you aren't taking the top off I'd opt for sealed as well. I'm a fan of the SQ but require the ported output because my top is off most of the time.

If you are ever looking into a fantastic SQ sealed sub with a somewhat slim mounting surface look at the Sundown Audio SD series. I have 2 SD4-12's in a sealed box in my Acura and the SQ is superb while it will still get down and chip your teeth when you want it to. Of course those subs need 500-600 RMS each so it's a bit of a bump in speaker and amp. Food for thought.
TJosh02 likes this.

I want my two dollars!
post #14 of 17 Old 05-21-2020, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
TJosh02

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
That video I think is Skrillex. Lol. Good for testing midbass thump with some low end extension but not the kind of music I'd personally listen to (I'm more of a metal head who also likes some indie rock). The girlfriend is all over the map with her taste.
backupoffmefoo likes this.

'02 TJ 4L 5spd
post #15 of 17 Old 05-22-2020, 09:16 PM
c82cj
1982 CJ7 

That is pretty awesome. I am looking to keep the trunk space behind the seat mostly so that ppl don't see the sub. The amp is a 600 watt. Rockville USS8 8" 600w Slim Under-Seat Active Powered Car/Truck Subwoofer Sub. It is only 2.9" thick so I was thinking I could hide it under my back folding seat. I have looked into getting a center console and installing it there as well. I am one of the least handy ppl on the planet so the center console is a little scary.

I looked at the Intra-Pod but it seems crazy to spend that much. Rockville makes a 10" that is the same thickness as the 8". My main goal here is to just add some lows to the Jeep. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backupoffmefoo View Post
How many watts is the amp? The slim 8 will help but it all goes away with the top off.

My stereos are always WAY over the top but I keep my back seat and use the tiny space behind it. Here is my CJ with two 8Ē subs ported (downfiring) listening to my sons bass music. (With the top off)

My new setup is a single 10 and itís a bit stronger than this one. With a good tonneau cover I can hear a clear system and feel bass on the freeway at 70 MPH. Keep that in mind when you take my advice... Iím a bit of a nut about good clean audio in a Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in