Aftermarket head unit advice - 2007 Commander 6CD changer with VES - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

Aftermarket head unit advice - 2007 Commander 6CD changer with VES

Hi All,
I've tried to piece the info together from older posts but not sure I'm getting putting it all together properly.

We have a UK 2007 Commander Limited with Boston sound system, 6CD changer and DVD system. We'd like to replace the head unit with a touch screen Android Auto compatible system while retaining the steering controls and the DVD playback at least through the headphones, but ideally through the head unit. We also must retain the reversing camera. Ideally it would have built in AI to filter out the rubbish my wife likes to listen to. Ok, maybe the last one is a little too much?

Specifically, if you'd be so kind, we'd like to ask the following questions:

1. First off, is our wish list possible? If not, how much can we retain?
2. Are the steering controls direct to the HU or are they on a CAN bus (or other sort of combined signal?)
3. What format is the reversing camera (composite video?) and does it require an additional connection to signal when reverse gear is selected or can it always provide a signal?
4. Does this system have an external amp or will the output from the head unit be the final story? I read something about a Boston amp but not sure if that applies to the Boston system in this model or not.
5. If a new head unit doesn't support aux in for the DVD system, will it still send audio to the headphones?
6. Is there anything specifically I need to look out for when buying the new HU?

Technically I'm not worried about the fitting, I've fit replacement head units i the past to older vehicles and as a software developer I'm not going to be scared off if things require a bit of figuring out

Thank you in advance!
Tony

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-01-2019, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

For anybody reading this, here is the information I've worked out so far by trying to fit a new head unit today.

1. The headunit wiring diagram in the sticky thread for the 2007 Commander appears to be accurate
2. CanBus is used for a lot of things from signalling the accessories (ignition) is on, through steering controls right to communicating with the Boston amplifier
3. An after market head unit won't work with the Boston amplifier unless you have some way to send a signal over can bus to tell the amp to switch on. Also seems that the can bus is used to control volume and fader.
4. So far I've not found any way around this and haven't found the correct pinouts to bypass the amp, but it does seem to be possible

My plan is this:
1. Try and bypass the Boston amp at first so I can at least get some sounds
2. Attempt to see if my bluetooth ODB 2 reader can also read canbus, if the jeep passing that to odb2
3. If number 2 doesn't work, I'll buy a USB canbus adapter, read the traffic and work out what to send to get the amp working and data to the head unit
4. Finally, create an arduino based interface to do all this for me automatically.

However, I work full time and I'm trying to complete my masters degree is computer science (in my 40s!) so time isn't on my side just yet, this is going to be a looong project!

Tony
post #3 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

PAC sells an interface specifically for your system. The downside is that you will still lose the ability to fade the audio from front to rear. I'm just shooting from the hip with this one, but I feel like you might run into a problem at some point if/when you bypass the factory amplifier. If the factory Boston speakers are still installed, the may have an impedance of 2ohms. If that is the case, your aftermarket headunit probably won't handle it well, if at all. That could possibly lead to overheating and/or "frying" the headunit's amplifier. It would be quite simple to increase the impedance of the front speakers by adding a inline resistor. You could also add another speaker, such as a small tweeter (most commonly a 4ohm or 8ohm) which would bring the resistance up to a safer 6-10 ohms.

I may be repeating things you've already found through researching, but Kicker (Mopar-Kicker) released a drop-in type amplifier for your Jeep. I'm not sure if it's still in production or if you can still purchase one, but it's worth looking into.

I bought a couple harnesses recently for my TJ audio setup. With that said, I may have some wiring info that may help, not sure. I'll attach the screenshot.

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/

post #4 of 4 Old 09-11-2019, 12:29 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.dropbox.com/s/4xrhyekjfwq...22442.png?dl=0

Ignore the 71-6502. The 71-6502-1 is the one that your Jeep has, right? If so, the pin outs I have here are for that one. The colors are your standard, unmatching aftermarket colors, but the description and pin location may be helpful.

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in