post #1 of 3 Old 10-20-2019, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
jchirita

2015 JKU Radiator Fan Not Working

Some info about the Jeep (if relevant):
Year: 2015
Model: JKU Rubicon
Lift: 3.5" Metal Cloak Game Changer
Wheels/tires: AEV Savegre/ 37x12.5-17 Goodyear Wrangler MTRs
Gears ratio: 4.10 (soon to upgrade to 4.88)

A bit of a background: I've recently upgraded from 35's to 37's on my Jeep and had to reprogram my system using my AEV Procal. While I was inputting my tire sizes, I also inputted my axle ratio, transfer case and anything else I figured that little device can do. I drove about 120 miles in a span of 2 days and it wasn't until yesterday that out of the blue my check engine light for hot oil comes on and all of the sudden I start seeing my temperature and transmission gauges crawl up past mid line. Typically my temperature runs anywhere from 218-228 degrees with all the commute I do in the Mile High City and my transmission wont pass 195. As my temperature and transmission gauge started crawling past 230 and climbing from there I thought of it unusual but hoped to see it come back down. It crawled up to about 250 degrees in a matter of 1 minute before I was quickly able to pull in a parking lot and shut off my engine. I came to realize that my radiator fan gave out and never kicked in.
I've troubleshooted the following:
  • Check radiator fluid and radiator cap
  • I tested my wiring harness that gives power to my fan and it came out positive. I proceeded to order a new fan which I tried plugging in today and it still does not work.
  • I tested my ECT sensor and that was not the issue.
  • Fan relays have been tested and approved.
  • Fuses, harnesses, wires have been checked for any burnouts
  • I removed my TIPM to clean out all of my contacts just in case of any corrosion or debris
  • Checked and cleaned all grounds
At the moment, my Jeep is not drive-able and sitting in my shop. I'm running out of ideas and don't know what the issue can possibly be. I don't believe there is any relevance with upgrading my tires and a radiator fan going out but merely think it's just coincidental. I've ordered a new thermostat which should be coming in tomorrow but I don't think that has anything to do with any of this. I'm suspicious of the AEV Procal but I have been running it for the past 3 years with no issues when I had my 35's. I have a buddy coming by tomorrow with the same model/year Jeep so I can test out his TIPM on mine before assuming I need a new one. I am desperate at this point for any advice as I am completely burned out with trying to figure out this crap and don't want to keep dumping money on what may not be needed. Feel free to ask away any questions that may help troubleshoot. Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-31-2019, 01:23 AM
CSpeade51

Garage
Any update? if youre still having the problem is it possible you changed the setting for when the fan comes on? does it come on when the AC is turned on?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-31-2019, 07:50 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The hot oil light is for the transmission fluid, not engine coolant.

What is your gear ratio? If you reset the gear ratio with the Procal but didn't change gears, that could be contributing to your problem.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in