2000 XJ Stereo Clipping - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Kevoo_11

1997 TJ Wrangler 

2000 XJ Stereo Clipping

I picked up an XJ that had a completely stock audio system, and immediately installed a bluetooth head unit that I had from an old Wrangler (Pioneer Circa 2016ish), front and rear 5.5's, and a single 1000w (I think) sub. After wiring it all up it sounded pretty nice, but when I took the volume over 55% I had an issue with it cutting in and out. I naturally assumed it was a bad ground, or a bad power connection, so I rechecked those - all good. I still had the issue, so I pulled the 12v from the amp because I thought it was just drawing too much power when the base hit. Still had it even with only 4 door speakers connected directly to the HU, and zero power to the amp. I've tried it with the radio, bluetooth, and aux with music AND an audio book. Even the audiobook clips at about 65% volume.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 09:26 AM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

When you say it was cutting in and out, was it only the sound that was going away and coming back? Was the sound simply going away, as if the radio was being turned on and off or was there a popping sound when you turned the volume up?

Any more details on the equipment? The make and model of the door speakers or their power handling? What make and model is the external amplifier, and how many channels does it have? What make and model subwoofer?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #3 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Kevoo_11

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the response

The sound just cuts out no pop, no distortion, just poof for about .5 - 1.0 seconds. The radio illumination stays on, so I believe the unit is still active.

The equipment:

Back hatch speakers - cheap boss 150w 4ohm ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )
Amp - 4 channel 1200w Power Acoustik (I'm having the same issue with and without the amp connected, so I don't believe that this is the immediate problem)
Front speakers - These I'm not sure about - I pulled them from a wrecked XJ and the looked in good shape I feel like they're 150w pioneers
Sub - 1000w Pioneer - (Again the problem is exactly the same with and without the sub connected)

Would screwing up the polarity of the the speakers on install cause something like this? It's the only careless thing I can think that I may have done during install. Or possibly a bad ground on the head unit?

post #4 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 10:32 AM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My first thoughts was whether or not it was actual clipping, or something else. The way you described that it happens when the volume it turned up, makes it sound like clipping. Clipping occurs when the amplifier tries to overdrive the voice coils and makes them heat up and eventually burns up the coils. The times I've experienced this was when the amplifier's power was struggling to drive the speakers. This could be the case. Having the polarity wrong wouldn't cause this. What that will do is just have the audio sounding strange, from one speaker to another.

What I would do first is start ruling things out. Check each of your door speakers to make sure their terminals aren't touching metal. If not, start disconnecting one by one, while rechecking to see if the problem persists. If it persists, a shorting issue is ruled out, but clipping still may be a culprit. Do you still have the original speakers, or single speaker with a lower power rating that you can get your hands on?

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #5 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Kevoo_11

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
My first thoughts was whether or not it was actual clipping, or something else. The way you described that it happens when the volume it turned up, makes it sound like clipping. Clipping occurs when the amplifier tries to overdrive the voice coils and makes them heat up and eventually burns up the coils. The times I've experienced this was when the amplifier's power was struggling to drive the speakers. This could be the case. Having the polarity wrong wouldn't cause this. What that will do is just have the audio sounding strange, from one speaker to another.

What I would do first is start ruling things out. Check each of your door speakers to make sure their terminals aren't touching metal. If not, start disconnecting one by one, while rechecking to see if the problem persists. If it persists, a shorting issue is ruled out, but clipping still may be a culprit. Do you still have the original speakers, or single speaker with a lower power rating that you can get your hands on?

I don't. I tossed the factories as soon as I got it all wired and everything seemed to be working alright. I've got a pick n pull pretty close with about a dozen xj's in it, so it's not a huge deal to find one. I soldered and heat wrapped all of the connections, so I probably won't have time to pull em until the weekend. I'm gonna use blade connectors this time
post #6 of 8 Old 10-23-2019, 04:45 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh okay. That's awesome that you have those parts readily available. Closest one near me is an hour away. Even then it's not like they'd actually have a Wrangler, ANY Wrangler.

On a side note, the main reason I asked about the subwoofer and amplifier is because the thread post had me curious. With the amplifier being a 4-channel, having the subwoofer wired in as a 5th speaker is putting too much of a strain on the amp. With only the 4-ohm door speakers wired to the amplifier, it's pushing 100watts per channel (in theory), but likely less. So, that's pretty ideal for that set up. It's not overpowering, but not greatly underpowering either. But, add in a subwoofer with those and it's going to be greatly underpowering. To the point of damaging your equipment.

That's not the main concern at the moment, but I wanted to mention it.

post #7 of 8 Old 10-24-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Kevoo_11

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
Oh okay. That's awesome that you have those parts readily available. Closest one near me is an hour away. Even then it's not like they'd actually have a Wrangler, ANY Wrangler.

On a side note, the main reason I asked about the subwoofer and amplifier is because the thread post had me curious. With the amplifier being a 4-channel, having the subwoofer wired in as a 5th speaker is putting too much of a strain on the amp. With only the 4-ohm door speakers wired to the amplifier, it's pushing 100watts per channel (in theory), but likely less. So, that's pretty ideal for that set up. It's not overpowering, but not greatly underpowering either. But, add in a subwoofer with those and it's going to be greatly underpowering. To the point of damaging your equipment.

That's not the main concern at the moment, but I wanted to mention it.

I appreciate the help, but to your point I'm working on an XJ, which is why wrecked parts are so accessible. The pull a part by me has 2 yjs, a CJ, and a TJ that are all pretty picked clean, but at least 12 xj's and another 12 zj's.

My door speakers were not wired to the amp...they're running directly from the H/U. The only thing the amp was powering was the sub which should have had PLENTY of power to run it. Right now I'm getting clipping with nothing besides 4 door speakers wired directly to the H/U. If I can't find a short, a bad ground, or some other obvious reason the speakers are clipping out I'll have to wire them to the amp I've got and then determine if I can run the sub off of it too or not.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-14-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
Kevoo_11

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Gonna necro my own thread to laugh at myself. I tried grounding that damn thing in 5 different spots, but what finally solved the problem was to ground it to one of the two studs located at the very very bottom of the center console. I probably should have just run it to the firewall from jump street, but I'm stubborn and stupid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in