'04 to '06 rear speaker pod wiring question - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
cjstefan

'04 to '06 rear speaker pod wiring question

Hows it going everyone? So I just picked up a set of speaker pods from an 04 to 06 to put in my YJ that I've installed a TJ roll bar in. My question is, the bar has the small holes for the support pin to go in but I don't remember seeing holes for the wires to go in (it has the pad on and its pouring down rain). Are the wires run inside the roll bar or are they on the outside of the rollbar, behind the pad? If they're on the inside, does anyone have a pic of the hole or can I just drill a large enough hole without compromising roll bar strength? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The wiring is on the driver's side outside of the rollbar, under the padding. I wouldn't drill the rollbar to run speaker wiring.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-11-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
cjstefan

So then do the wires for the passenger side go up the passenger side of the bar under the padding?

post #4 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjstefan View Post
So then do the wires for the passenger side go up the passenger side of the bar under the padding?
No, I only said the wiring goes up the driver's side, it connects to both speakers.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
cjstefan

Well I can tell everybody that the early TJ roll bar and the late TJ speaker pods do not lineup at all, mounting hole wise. Where the regular sound bar bolts on to the sides of the bar, the holes are spread apart much further and wrapped around further to the sides. Where the two supporting pins go into the center bar, those holes don't exist on the early TJ bar. I'm going to go to the salvage yard where I bought the pods, buy the center bar from the TJ I got the pods from and swap it out so I don't have to drill through the existing bar. As far as the 2 holes on the sides, I haven't decided if I'm going to drill new holes in the bar or drill new holes in the speaker pods. If I drill the plastic on the pods I'll have two extra holes that are empty from the original mounting bolt locations. Figured this may help anybody who's trying to swap from an early TJ sound bar to late TJ speaker pods
post #6 of 7 Old 07-12-2019, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
cjstefan

Jerry, I'm not using a one piece sound bar. That's what I have now and I have the wires running up the driver side. I'm swapping to the separate late model pods, which have two separate connections. The way the wires come out of them, it looks as though they go into holes in the center bar, much like the support pin
post #7 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 08:18 AM
williambmac

2005 LJ Wrangler 

there should be no problem using later style speaker pods on that roll bar. I removed the pods from my LJ and installed the early style tj sound bar. my buddy took the pods and installed them in his 2000 tj. we both just had to drill new mounting holes.
the wiring is all on the outside of the roll bar under the padding. the harness runs up the driverside and across to each pod.

2005 Rubicon Unlimited, 4" Clayton long arm
35" Mickey Thompsons, lots of stuff
Black Magic Big brake kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in