Tire Tread Depth - Allowable Difference when buying 2 new tires - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
jbwest17
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Tire Tread Depth - Allowable Difference when buying 2 new tires

I'm in a dilemma. My wife's 2005 JGC (Limited w/ 5.7L) has a tire that has an irrepairable hole, that I have tried to plug twice, but it is still leaking. Tire shops can't patch it because it is on the edge of the tread, next to the sidewall.

I am using an old tire (from the first round of tires, this is the 2nd round) as the spare. I planned on buying 2 new tires to replace the spare and the tire with a hole in it, then putting the 2 brand new tires on the rear, leaving the 2 on the front, and transferring the 3rd (of the 2nd batch) to the spare.

They don't make the tire that I have now anymore, Goodyear Eagle LS, 235-65R17 iirc. I can only find 1 available in my area, so that rules out buying 2 new of that style.

Also, a couple of places I went to said they won't mount 2 new tires on the vehicle with 2 old ones (20k miles) because the difference in tread depth is too great and will damage the drivetrain, since it is full time 4x4.

So, here are my options:
1. Replace all 4, even though I have 3 remaining tires with good tread depth.

2. Buy the 1 new Eagle LS, and replace the damaged one, leaving me with 3 with 6/32 tread depth and 1 new one.

3. Buy 2 new tires of another brand, and put them on the rear with 2 old ones (20k miles) on the front.

So, I guess it comes down to this, are the tire guys just covering their butt on the drivetrain issues. I understand what they're saying, and it makes sense, but a lot of the time, these things are just for avoiding liability.

Does anyone know Jeep/Chrysler recommend minimum tread depth difference that is allowed?

Hope that all made sense. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 PM
TRZ
2008 WK 

For QuadraDrive II equipped WKs, the difference in tire circumference should not exceed 3%. I'd guess that QTII probably has the same limitation.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 PM
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbwest17 View Post

2. Buy the 1 new Eagle LS, and replace the damaged one, leaving me with 3 with 6/32 tread depth and 1 new one.
With that much tread depth difference it will cause issues with the t-case and then say good bye to any type of warranty when they see the tires tread depth difference.Just buy 4 and be done with it,at 6/32" your other 3 tires are getting close to needing to be replaced anyway.I work for Firestone and there policy is to recommend tires at 4/32"-5/32",not to make money but for safety factors(okay maybe a little to make money but not the main factor).Heck I replace my tires when they get to 10/32" tread depth,then again I start with at least 25/32"-28/32" tread depth on my new tires.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case

post #4 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
sabre364
2007 WK 

Is there a fuse or somethign we pull if we are running the spare it is very different in tread depth from the other 3 tires?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 08:30 PM
MacCherokee
2008 WK 

I would doubt that the circumference difference between new and worn would be more than 3%. These systems have a good margin built in them to account for such things. Otherwise the average Joe would nuke their T-Case with a improper tire inflation.

Cheers,

08 GC CRD Limited
06 Volvo V50 T5 AWD

Your direct access to Canada/US Dealer-only Auctions

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 09:06 PM
TRZ
2008 WK 

The 3% difference figure comes from a Jeep project manager / engineer who worked on the WK.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 05:45 PM
Emagg
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i work at a goodyear tire shop and also own a jeep commander unfortunately 3/32 differance is enough to make our vehicles throw a fit. it is nothing new the older grand cheerokes with quadratrac do it to since the early 90s. sorry but what i would do is buy 5 tires like i did and rotate you spare every time you take it in to have them rotated because if you have a flat and a new spare and worn tires you cant ue that spare either. sorry for the bad news but it is somthing we will have to get used to. to to bad the dealer did not tell us we hade to buy 4 tires every time i might have ended up with a liberty instead.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 PM
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

I'm glad I have a 242...

1995 ZJ 2" BB, 31x10.50/15 KM2's painted stockers, B&M RV shift kit, 18k cooler, Extended Energy sway bar links.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Madmike4790
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just got 2 new tires for mine and as soon as i drove it on a road not completely covered in snow i got vibrations and the t-case made noise. I thought i was getting a wobble or something was wrong with the t-case. I took it to this really good transmission shop around town and they said the vibes were caused by the difference in tread depth, but to fix it he put the new tires at opposite sides of the jeep. By that I mean he put one new tire in the front left and the other new one in the right rear. After that I have not had a single problem and I just drove it 5 hours straight without a single problem. Hope this helps.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in