Snobrdrkid's 04 Overland Build Thread - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 08:58 AM
04Overland47

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
I could give them a call and ask what their warranty is.
Wouldn't hurt to try. Would also look at the copy of the rotor invoice I gave you and see if it says anything about a warranty.

2004 WJ Overland 4.7HO Graphite 127k miles / Powerstick Muffler / Superchips / Bilstein HD's / Addco Rear Bar / SOLD!
1998 ZJ Limited 5.9 SOLD!
2010 WK Laredo 5.7
2002 WJ Overland 4.7HO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 11:38 AM
SnowLeopard

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Overland47 View Post
Wouldn't hurt to try. Would also look at the copy of the rotor invoice I gave you and see if it says anything about a warranty.
I'd definitely do this. Rotors should last 100-150k without issue. I know they're the originals on my 4Runner, and it has 116k miles on it now. I could easily go another 100k on them from the looks of things. The original pads would've gone another 20-40k as well, but I thought they needed changed (thanks to the Toyota peeps) and was already swapping 'em out when I realized the folly. Ah well, all new pads makes you feel more secure, even if poorer!

I did the whole Kolak performance brake swap on my ZJ, and I don't think it's worth it really. Good rotors and ceramic pads are all you really need. The performance stuff seems of little if any advantage on a 4x4, unless you're rally racing or something. Even then, I don't know if it'd be worth the expense.

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
post #78 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I'd definitely do this. Rotors should last 100-150k without issue. I know they're the originals on my 4Runner, and it has 116k miles on it now. I could easily go another 100k on them from the looks of things. The original pads would've gone another 20-40k as well, but I thought they needed changed (thanks to the Toyota peeps) and was already swapping 'em out when I realized the folly. Ah well, all new pads makes you feel more secure, even if poorer!

I did the whole Kolak performance brake swap on my ZJ, and I don't think it's worth it really. Good rotors and ceramic pads are all you really need. The performance stuff seems of little if any advantage on a 4x4, unless you're rally racing or something. Even then, I don't know if it'd be worth the expense.
On my Blue Jeep I am on the 3rd set of front Rotors AND Pads, currently the Stillen Rotors and Pads. I haven't seen a rotor go as long as you describe, ever due to warping or rusting etc. I do think the Stillen setup will go the distance as they show little wear over the past 4 years.

I am looking at Centric Premiums right now, something with a coating so they don't rust out in a month!

~ 04 WJ Overland 4.7 HO | Graphite Metallic | Quadra-Drive | Vari-Locks | Bilstein 4600ís | ADDCO Sway Bar | Powerstick Exhaust | RB1 | SuperChips Tuned | Much More to Come ~

~ 04 WJ Laredo 4.0 | Selec-Trac | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Silent Armor 245/70/17's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon HU | Alpine Speakers, Amps, and Subs | Bilstein SS | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars | Lots of Cool Stuff ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | OME HD Springs | Bilstein 5100ís | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-

post #79 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
If you go with the premiums, be sure not to scrub off the coating with brake cleaner! I actually washed mine in the sink with dish soap and water before installing them.

~Chris
His: 2004 WJ - OME HD 'Kolak' Lift -

His: 1979 J-10 - 3" on 33s -

His: 2009 Expedition
His: 1978 F250 Custom -

Hers: 2000 TJ
Hers: 2010 Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
"You can't recycle tartar sauce."
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_80 View Post
Weird, I didn't realize you could use vomit as coolant.
post #80 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHager View Post
If you go with the premiums, be sure not to scrub off the coating with brake cleaner! I actually washed mine in the sink with dish soap and water before installing them.
Thanks for that tip!
I am looking at the Centric Premium Rotors, which are actually their basic rotors but, have the E-Coating. Then I am looking at the Posi-Quiet Loaded Calipers with Ceramic Pads. All of the above is $200 after returning the cores for $100, so $300 out the door upfront.

~ 04 WJ Overland 4.7 HO | Graphite Metallic | Quadra-Drive | Vari-Locks | Bilstein 4600ís | ADDCO Sway Bar | Powerstick Exhaust | RB1 | SuperChips Tuned | Much More to Come ~

~ 04 WJ Laredo 4.0 | Selec-Trac | MBP | OME HD 3" Lift | JKS TB | IRO Front LCA's and UCA's| Bilstein 5100's | Silent Armor 245/70/17's | Custom Front D.S. | Stillen Rotors/Pads | Tow Package w/ 3.73's | Moog HD Steering | Kenwood eXcelon HU | Alpine Speakers, Amps, and Subs | Bilstein SS | Auxiliary Transmission Cooler | Rock Lights | Light Bars | Lots of Cool Stuff ~

~ 05 Rubicon Unlimited 4.0 | 6-Speed | Dana 44's | Air Lockers | 4.11 Gears | Rock-Trac 241OR T-Case with 4:1 4-Low | OME HD Springs | Bilstein 5100ís | 245/75/16 Kevlar MT/R's on Moabs | Hansen Offroad Steel F/R Bumpers | Warn 9000xi Winch | Edge Performance Chip | Custom CAI | Hella Off-road Lights | Cobra 29 CB | Flash Lights | Recovery Gear | Fire Extinguisher ~

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-
post #81 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 12:35 PM
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
How much are their ceramic pads running?

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #82 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
How much are their ceramic pads running?
About $40 a set.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-
post #83 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 12:43 PM
ChrisHager

2004 WJ 

Garage
If you double that, you can pick up some sweet Hawk LTS pads...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Just sayin'.

~Chris

Quote:
Quote:
post #84 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 01:31 PM
OutlawDave

2001 WJ 

Quote:
Ive never even heard of most of these pads, what are some others that are good. Once my rigs to the point it needs new pads I may consider something new.

2014 Rubicon JK X
3.6VVT / NSG370 / 241OR / Dana44HD with E lockers / Rubicon Express 3.5" / Fox 2.0 shocks / Heat venting hood / Smittybuilt 10k H20 Winch / 4.88
-------------------------------------------------------------

JEEPForum.com - May 2017 WJ of the Month
JEEPForum.com - 2017 WJ of the Year
SOLD to LGrocks 1/13/19
post #85 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 02:20 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07
Installed a new CCV Hose and valves on the engine. Those are breathers for the valve cover that go into the resonator. Replaced those to try and slow the oil burn which is about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles which isn't bad but seems to be the 4.7 "norm"
I just received my CCV hose. Can you tell me if there where any hiccups or issues with replacing the stock piece that might help me out? I see its on the back of the engine near the firewall.

I sure appreciate the link you shared for purchase.

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #86 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
If you double that, you can pick up some sweet Hawk LTS pads...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Just sayin'.

Tempting, for sure. I might try and sit on them for awhile and see if I can come up with a few extra dollars for something "nice"

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-
post #87 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled jeep View Post
I just received my CCV hose. Can you tell me if there where any hiccups or issues with replacing the stock piece that might help me out? I see its on the back of the engine near the firewall.

I sure appreciate the link you shared for purchase.
It was tight with all the wiring harness on the passenger side. I worked my way back there after moving some of the wires around minding not to put too much pressure on them. As far as the hose itself, you just have to really get in there and yank it off. I twisted, wiggled, and pulled and then it came off. Make note of where the original one snaked through the other wires, tubes so you can put the new one back in the same spot.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-
post #88 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 07:20 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Gotcha thanks!

For a WEAK and IGNORANT sheople, SERF-dom is a Reward, not a Curse. W1CCW
post #89 of 617 Old 10-13-2015, 11:41 PM
SnowLeopard

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrkid07 View Post
On my Blue Jeep I am on the 3rd set of front Rotors AND Pads, currently the Stillen Rotors and Pads. I haven't seen a rotor go as long as you describe, ever due to warping or rusting etc. I do think the Stillen setup will go the distance as they show little wear over the past 4 years.

I am looking at Centric Premiums right now, something with a coating so they don't rust out in a month!
I'm on the factory discs on the 4Runner, and they have 116k on them. They might be halfway through their life. Stillens are what you have?

I do like Posi-Quiet brake pads and think they are well made and work. I had the performance pads, etc. recommended by Kolak on my ZJ. I'm not sure there was any perceivable difference. Pads with metal in them, even the partial metal, may last longer, and their fade resistance is supposedly superior, but they also wear out your rotors faster. I've yet to notice brake fade with the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads with stock rotors. I know I'm not driving a Jeep anymore, and every day I think about it, wishing I were one of you still. If I'm ever in a position where I can do so...

"Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads"
post #90 of 617 Old 10-14-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
snobrdrkid07
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
I'm on the factory discs on the 4Runner, and they have 116k on them. They might be halfway through their life. Stillens are what you have?

I do like Posi-Quiet brake pads and think they are well made and work. I had the performance pads, etc. recommended by Kolak on my ZJ. I'm not sure there was any perceivable difference. Pads with metal in them, even the partial metal, may last longer, and their fade resistance is supposedly superior, but they also wear out your rotors faster. I've yet to notice brake fade with the Posi-Quiet ceramic pads with stock rotors. I know I'm not driving a Jeep anymore, and every day I think about it, wishing I were one of you still. If I'm ever in a position where I can do so...
I have Stillen Rotors and Pads on the Blue Jeep and they are excellent.

On the Overland, it has Napa Premium Rotors and Pads, not so excellent. I am still shopping around, it may be less of an immediate purchase.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~

-Michael-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in