One quart oil filter on 4.0 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By X-Hibition

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-06-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

One quart oil filter on 4.0

I did a search and didn't see this addressed, but does everyone use the one quart filter on the six cylinder? Or is there some hidden incentive to use the shorter stock application?

1999 Jeep WJ currently sporting four Yakima bars with many accessories...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-07-2019, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

So while this post seems well read, it seems to lack in response, so I will elaborate. For the purposes of illustration I will use Fram part numbers. Not an endorsement, but you can cross these part numbers to whomever your favorite manufacturer is. Or not.

At the dawn of recorded time I worked in an automotive warehouse and would spend a lot of time in catalogs and looking at parts. I realized in the seventies that you could put the bell mouthed adapter on a stock Ford distributer and with the correct cap and rotor use the new 8 mm spark plug wires. Bigger/Better. I also found an agricultural application for a spin on 2 quart Ford oil filter. Two of those on a Trans Dapt oil filter relocation kit and you had as much oil in the pan as you did in the filters. Bigger/Better.

Anyway, the stock filter for the 4.0 is the PH16 which is 3.69" tall. The PH8A is 5.14" tall. Both filters have a 12 psi bypass valve, both share a 3/4-16 thread pitch, and differ by displacements of 38.82 inches cubed and 58.29 inches cubed. Bigger/Better. So since the taller filter physically fits within the confines of the WJ why not use it?

Merry Christmas.
Mattimus_LV likes this.

post #3 of 6 Old 12-08-2019, 12:53 AM
BHedlund1989
2000 WJ 

Garage
I've used both sized filters since I purchased my 4.0. I also always change around 3k with a high mileage synthetic and filter every time and have always had great oil pressure no matter what oil or filter I put on.

2000 WJ Laredo
IRO 3" on 265/75/16 JK takeoffs

post #4 of 6 Old 01-04-2020, 09:59 PM
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

l knownin some vehicles, a oil filter relocation is available. are there any for the 4.0? it would yield even more volume, and could make the use of the larger easier.

hard working private first class in the United States Marine Corps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-09-2020, 06:24 PM
Mattimus_LV

2004 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Hibition View Post
I did a search and didn't see this addressed, but does everyone use the one quart filter on the six cylinder? Or is there some hidden incentive to use the shorter stock application?
I've used the Motorcraft FL1A on my XJ and previous WJ (4.0L) with no fitment issues. Using the same filter on my current WJ Overland w/ 4.7L HO .

If the bigger filter will fit, there are really no downsides to using it.

Also, on a side note the Motorcraft FL1A is currently $3.97/shipped Prime right now (https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-FL.../dp/B000ARPVMU) which is crazy cheap for a good filter.

2004 WJ Overland
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2020, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
X-Hibition

1999 WJ 

Hey Andy, sorry for the delay. Trans Dapt has spin on adapters for the 3/4-16 thread pitch (Ford) which go to a remote filter base or sandwich style so you can plumb in an oil cooler, also. Single remote, double remote, go nuts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in