Need advice asap! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 09-14-2020, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

Need advice asap!

I bought a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2 1/2 years ago and paid $20,000. 6 months ago my engine seized (5.7 Hemi). I had to fight with Chrysler to pay for some of it and it cost me a small fortune. I didn't have a car for almost 3 months because they had to tear the engine out and figure out what happened and then get it approved for partial payment from Chrysler. It was a nightmare fighting with the dealership I bought it from and Chrysler. I am a total Jeep lover by the way i have been buying Jeeps for 20 years. I never thought I would end up in such a ****y situation. I had planned on buying new tires and rims for my Jeep before this happened and had to put that on hold until I had my Jeep back and running. I need to add that before that happened I would be driving and coming off the highway making a left turn and the engine would just shut off losing all power of the vehicle. Extremely scary and dangerous to say the least. It hasn't done that since the engine was replaced thank God. When I got my Jeep back I ordered rims and tires from the dealership. Jeep rims, they came from Chrysler they are black rims that say Jeep on them. The dealership put the Michelin tires and my new rims on. I paid $2,700 for the tires and rims. I get it back and finally feel like the insanity is over and I finally have the Jeep I wanted. A week after my tires and rims were put on my tire light goes on. I call the dealership and tell them and they told me to bring it up and they would look at it so I decided to have the oil changed too. I go back and pick it up and they said they couldn't detect anything wrong with the tire pressure monitoring system because the light went off. So I take it and a day later the light is back on. I take it back up there and leave my Jeep running to make sure the light is still on and they took it in the back and I left. I get a phone call later that day and get told I owe $80 for them to try and diagnose the problem and they couldn't figure out why it was doing that. Then they tell me I need to replace the tire pressure monitoring system and it would cost almost $500. I was furious and went and picked it up and told them they were crazy they broke it there was nothing wrong with it before they put the new tires, rims, and tire pressure sensors on it. When i put air in the front drivers side tire the rear passenger tire reads on the dashboard and all of the tires read in a different location. This did not happen before I did not have any problems with it. What advice can someone give me i do not feel I should have to put one more dime into this Jeep. 😭

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-15-2020, 08:41 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

In the 2012 premium TPMS, the TPM is located under the left rear wheel splash shield and it monitors the tire pressure sensors. It determines which tire is on which corner by RF signal levels and software. If the software is confused by where the tire is, then there is something in the module, or a bad/corroded connection. The module is easy to replace once you get the tire and splash shield off. I doubt if all the replacement sensors are bad, but there would be a DTC set for that.

The system is suppose to self initialize/detect while driving more than 15 mph for 10-15 minutes. The dealer can manually resync and add sensor IDs, and if he is saying that fails, then you are back to replacing the module. You could try the universal reset, disconnect the battery for five minutes.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 19 Old 07-25-2021, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

Select terrain controller

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee recently noticed the lights on the terrain controller were coming on and off randomly. I turned the controller and it would not go out of auto. That is when it is lit up. When there's no lights there's nothing. I also have experienced twice in the past 24 hours while driving it feels like I just ran something over, there was a huge clunking noise. It scared the **** out of me because I thought I hit something both times. I'm assuming this has something to do with the terrain controller not working properly because I have never experienced this before. I also experienced my sun roof not closing the way it was suppose to. I had to keep hitting the auto close button and when it finally closed it opened in the vent position and I can't get it closed. The close button makes a clicking noise when I press it and the vent button makes a clicking noise when I press it but when I press the open button there is no clicking noise. I tried to recalibrate it and that didn't work and I tried disconnecting the battery and that didn't work. I am extremely frustrated! I bought this Jeep less than 3 years ago and have had one expensive problem after the next including having to replace the Hemi engine that seized on me only a year and a half of owning it. There are multiple other problems in have had to take care of which is to many to list right now. Can anyone give me some advice I cant keep dumping thousands of dollars into this Jeep. I am so disappointed and feel like I bought a lemon.

post #4 of 19 Old 07-29-2021, 09:59 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

The transfer case may be locked up and what you are hearing is the drivetrain windup releasing itself vis the weaker link, either the transfer case chain or clutch

Do you hear any clicking? There are a couple transfer case diagnosis threads in the WK2 forum. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/

What calibration procedure did you use? It sounds like your sunroof is binding or the motors are broken. There are also sunroof threads in the WK2 forum.

post #5 of 19 Old 07-30-2021, 06:47 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

amazing -

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-06-2021, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I dont hear any clicking. I spent hours researching online what the problem could be. I ended up opening the hood and opening the fuse box and noticed a lot of the fuses were not pushed in all the way. I noticed after I did that my select terrain was going in all the positions sand, rock, snow and sport. That lasted a couple days and now it's back to being on auto only and the lights on it randomly coming on and off. My brother in law ended up taking my Jeep to work with him and took my sun roof apart. He said it was locked up but lubricated everything and now it is working normal again. This is where I have a problem. Everytime I take it anywhere I am lied to and told it will cost me thousands of dollars to fix and I already have 2 car payments I can't put thousands of dollars more into it. I appreciate your help it means so much to me!
post #7 of 19 Old 08-06-2021, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I also noticed when I was messing with the fuse box that the wire was kind of melted to the hose next to it. I had to peel the wire off the hose in order to open the fuse box and that didn't seem right to me.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-06-2021, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I just went to go to the store and now it's not going in reverse! It's shifting but it's like the brakes are on and it won t move. The select terrain is switching over to all the different modes. I have no warning light on my dashboard at all. I'm losing my **** over this! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
post #9 of 19 Old 08-08-2021, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I now hear a clicking and it won't go in reverse. It is shifting in reverse and the reverse lights come on but there is a whole lot of resistance and grinding. It is now parked in my driveway and I dont know what to do. The dealership rips me off and any outside mechanic doesn't want to touch it.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 10:44 AM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

This is hard to diagnose over the internet. Do you have a car savvy friend that can better pinpoint whats going on. Perhaps a local Jeep or off road club.

post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

Im going to look around and see if I can find someone. I'm in Cleveland Ohio, it would be nice if you were close your a genius when it comes to Jeeps. If you come across anyone in my area please let me know. I appreciate your help.
post #12 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I just requested to join the Northeast Ohio Jeep Club on Facebook. Maybe I can find a trustworthy Jeep mechanic that won't rip me off or tell me something needs to be replaced that doesn't. Thanks for your suggestion.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I take very good care of it as you can see and it's never been abused so I do believe all of the problems I have had are from defective parts.
Attached Thumbnails
20210809_170711_1628543424609.jpg  
post #14 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Boojo35
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
When you buy a vehicle, especially a used one, it is important to allow a maintenance and repair budget. In September you will have a vehicle that is 10 model years old. It may be normal for it to break from time to time.

You say that the dealership ripped you off but yet they provided you assistance on an engine that was well out of the warranty period. I am confused.

In general. Mechanics have families and bills just like the rest of the world. Many have very large tool payments. They have to. The overhead to run a shop is astronomical. So it costs a lot of money to get a vehicle repaired and it is justifiable. You bad mouth it but yet cannot do your own work. Yes. Your TPMS light can come on and not be because of your new tires, wheels and sensors. As you stated, it was a week after you picked up your Jeep that the light came on. Guess what? If they broke it, it would have come on right away.

Quote:
What advice can someone give me i do not feel I should have to put one more dime into this Jeep.
I really have no answer. It sounds like you want to own and drive a vehicle for free and everybody else is an idiot.

A picture of the outside of your jeep does not show abuse. Let me under the vehicle and under the hood and I will tell you if you abuse it or not. Poor maintenance is the worst abuse ever. Lots of those cars are still really shiny though.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-09-2021, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
jpayne76

I am well aware of how we all need to work and make a living to take care of our families. When you put $30,000 into anything I don't care what it is, the manufacturer should back it up and not act like they are unaware of the many defects these Jeeps have. I sure as hell don't expect anything for free I have worked my *** off for everything I have and I have a family to take care of too! By the way ever since my tires were rotated my tire light hasn't been on not even once. Someone knew what they were doing. The dealership wanted me to pay $500 to fix it though! I have maintained every vehicle I have ever owned as specified. A lot of issues I have had many Jeep owners have had and are just as frustrated as I am. Are you going to tell me that when driving 70 on the highway and your Jeep just shuts off and all power is lost is normal because of the year of my Jeep???? No it's not! I'm not only responsible financially for my kids I'm responsible for their safety too! This is a known issue and finally a recall has been made but still no part to fix it. So you've obviously misunderstood my anger and frustration. Would you really think that after the amount of money I have spent in less than 3 years that I should have a vehicle that can't be driven? If so your an idiot and need to keep your comments to yourself. It would be a totally different story if I paid $5000 for the Jeep. I obviously PAY for what I have and don't expect **** for free! So your saying I'm suppose to pay a lot of money for something I don't even need so mechanics can pay for their tools!!!???? Any person that works their *** off for their money and has spent the amount of money I have would feel the same way!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in