Which Grand Cherokee Shall I buy? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-25-2020, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
johndahntu

Which Grand Cherokee Shall I buy?

Greetings and thank you to all who who read this post,

I am a single guy in my early 30's who's looking for a little bit more adventure than my current car can give me; so I'm looking at purchasing a second hand Jeep Grand Cherokee or possibly Liberty for some road trips out to the middle of nowhere with some minor offroading.....

Right now, I've narrowed my search down to a 2010 or 2011-12 Grand Cherokee (probably Overland 4x4) or possibly a 2008-2011 Liberty; as I think both of those vehicles would be good for camping out in the desert.

My question is, that of these three vehicles which would be the best for my needs. I know the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee will be a little bit more comfortable, but is it a less capable offroad vehicle when compared to it's predecessor? How would these vehicles be economically speaking?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-25-2020, 08:07 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

There is a how to buy a used 2011 and newer thread in the WK2 model forum.

The WK2 (2011 and newer) is far more refined and performs much better off and on road that a unmodified earlier WK. You will need to think about wranglers to get better off road performance. The older WK has a bit more suspension articulation, but you can get by just fine in the newer model. Otherwise the WK2 is a far superior vehicle.

I have a 2009 Liberty and 2011 WK2 Overland. They are quite different. The Liberty is a simple rugged vehicle, smaller, nothing fancy. The WK2 is larger and much more capable and comfortable. There are a wide variety of features you can't get in a liberty, and a V8 available.

The best for you is subjective, test drive them both. The Liberty, being simpler, would be less likely for something to fail and less money to fix. The WK2 offers comfort, safety, and performance features you can't get in a Liberty or earlier WK. Its also larger with a bigger payload and towing capacity.

Have fun shopping.

I was born to party, but I am forced to work
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 4 Old 01-26-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
johndahntu

Thank you so much for the insight! I'm definitely leaning toward the WK2

post #4 of 4 Old 01-27-2020, 05:53 PM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
I am glad I bought a WK2. Not sure what your price range is, it is money well spent.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in