Which GC is best for me??? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-19-2014, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Which GC is best for me???

Hello errybody!

Maybe if some of you have been around a really long time you might remember me. I owned a 94 ZJ 4.0 and a 99 WJ 4.7 and I'm thinking about getting either a ZJ or WJ again! I sold my WJ back in 06 and I have NOT had a Jeep since so I am VERY out of loop here. I need some help on which CG fits what I need most! I'm gonna list what I am looking for and hopefully you all can help me out!

I'm looking for this Jeep as a 2nd car. I am 18 months into daily driving a FR-S and after 50K miles I love the poop out of it! It's been really reliable and I get over 30MPG. But sometimes it effing pisses me off only having a tiny 2-door, manual car. The Jeep would see 20-35 miles of driving per week (still the bulk of the miles on my FR-S) but I would also use this Jeep on trips every once and a while and I'd like to take 2-4 ski trips to the mountains with it per year which is several hundred miles away from home! I might also do some mild wheelin' with it, but noting crazy. In this order here is what is important to me: reliability, modability, and fuel economy.

TIA for your input!

AND pictures just for fun!

My FR-S:

My old WJ:

2013 FR-S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-19-2014, 11:43 PM
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

Garage
a nice zj limited with the right bolt ons will get relatively great mileage ( 16-18 city ) have good cargo area and good looks along with being able to handle the weather and trails for 300,000 plus miles

what signature
post #3 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 06:52 AM
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Reliability: ZJ, hands down. You can abuse and neglect these poor things, and they'll hit 300,000 miles. That being said, my WJ never gave me problems. I put almost 40,000 miles on her, and it was all trouble free. I did routing maintenance and made sure it never over heated. There are plenty of WJs with 250,000+ miles, and a couple over 300,000. If you take care of them, they'll take care of you.

Modability: Again, ZJ hands down. They've been around longer, parts are dirt cheap, and the motor design out dates my parents. It's a very simple machine. The WJ wasn't difficult to work on, and the parts weren't really expensive, but there is a definite lack of aftermarket support (which has gotten better since I sold it, but not much).

Fuel economy: WJ. I got 30+ mpg on the highway a couple times. The ZJs aren't even close, even with mods.

I'm also going to add DD comfort: The WJ is more refined and much more comfortable as a DD. The suspension is more sophisticated, the steering and brakes are better, the seats are leaps and bounds better, the sound system is better... The 247 in the WJ is also 1,000 times better than the 249 in V8 ZJs. I even prefer it over the 242. It was idiot proof and effective.

March 2014 GCOTM. 1998 Deep Slate 5.9
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys

post #4 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

My ZJ was a big pile while my WJ was great. But I owned my WJ when it had 60-120K miles on it. Now most of the ones I see for sale are at 100K miles and up! Are there any transmissions I should stay away from? Either becuase they are bad units or hard to fix/replace.

2013 FR-S
post #5 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM
AgitatedPancake

2001 WJ 

Blaine is back! Holy crap it's been a long time haha. Were you always in norcal or somewhere else in the country?

Of course I'm biased towards the WJ though haha. If you want power, the 4.7's and 4.7 HO's make WJ's MOVE as you know which is great. The 4.0 is supposedly a slug because of the size of the WJ, though I haven't driven one myself to see. I will say the 4.0 I6 is known to last 300k+, but the 4.7's have a high probability of dropping a valve seat between 150-250k.

I'd personally be looking for a 100k 4.7 WJ Limited (H.O. is a benefit, but not necessary). Fix the obvious problems right off the bat, but go the extra mile and put $500 worth of balljoints, unit bearings, control arm bushings, and steering components into it right off the bat. Even on low mileage WJ's, the age is getting to a point where the rubber is deteriorating quickly, and I'd rather have my new vehicle drive like a new vehicle than to chase problems down 1 by 1 for the next few years.

To contact me, email
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 WJ 5 Speed Claytons LA's, 36" Iroks, 35 spline 9" rear, Custom Ruffstuff 60-9" front axle.
Build Thread:

post #6 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Hey Greg! Glad to see someone around here that remebers me! No I used to live in Michigan but moved to San Jose about 3 years ago!!!

Is there anything that can be done to help prevent this valve issue in 4.7s?? How are the 247s doing with super high miliage?? I know they are better the 249s which absolutly fail early. Auto trans with the 4.7 is good?? I'm leaning towards 4.7 WJ but I would also buy a 4.0 if it will cost me less over years of opperation. Thanks for the help!

2013 FR-S
post #7 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 08:29 PM
gcjeeping

2001 WJ 

Get a V8 Laredo with the selec-trac 242HD. Unless you like all the bells and whistles (that can go wrong, lol).

post #8 of 10 Old 01-20-2014, 08:49 PM
AgitatedPancake

2001 WJ 

Ahh Michigan makes more sense, that's what I remember! Do you ever make it up towards sac for street events? I haven't gone to any but would like to start, don't know where things happen around here.

I do agree that V8 selec-trac Laredo is about as ideal as you can get. No blend doors to worry about, 2wd ability with the 242HD is badass with the v8, and doesn't have any wear issues. It's just nearly impossible to find used haha. 247's last plenty well for 200k+, and are only a couple hundred if you ever need to replace it. As a bonus, you can put a 242HD in if the 247 ever gives you issues.

To contact me, email

01 WJ 5 Speed Claytons LA's, 36" Iroks, 35 spline 9" rear, Custom Ruffstuff 60-9" front axle.
Build Thread:

post #9 of 10 Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I don't know what "street events" you're talking about in Sac, lol. But I never really get up that way. I haven't gone yet this year but I guess I kinda go past that way when I head to the mountains!

I actually found a 04 4.7/242 Laredo locally but the dude wanted $7K and that just seems like a lot! I've seen 02-044.7/247 Laredo's for $4K.

Thanks for the input guys... I think that's the Jeep I really want. Is a 231 swap easy on a WJ or no?

2013 FR-S
post #10 of 10 Old 01-26-2014, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

What about towing??? I used to pull a 12' box trailer with my WJ but it was never more than 2.5K lbs loaded. Could a 4.7 WJ pull my FR-S which is 2.6K lbs plus an open car trailer? So figure 4-4.5K lbs over a long distance?? What about if it was lifted on 32s?!?!?!

2013 FR-S

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in