Darth Vader Built Project - 2003 WJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 185 Old 03-16-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Thanks for the comments guys, the more I look at it it seems to me that what I will need to do is to cut the cat and move it closer toward the engine and then find a muffler that is about the same size as the cat and put it in that location. The reason for this line of thought is that the skip plate goes right over the current cat is. Another option would be to eliminate the cat and put the muffler in the cat's current position and forget about the skip plate for now. As a side note, I got about 22" between the transmission member and the rear CA member. I hope that I get more input from the forum community, someone with this kit has done this before!!

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 185 Old 03-18-2018, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Yesterday my son came over for a visit so I recruited him to help me to center the front axle, that went well without too much of an effort. After that I finally took the GC for a spin around the block to help settle the suspension. Nothing fell off that I know of. Now I have to go through my punch list and double check everything that I did, from control arm lengths through torque specs of all the bolt and nuts. Once this is done then I think I will go and clean up all the oil leaks to set up baselines, change the fluids, order and install the new tires and get an alignment. For the alignment I think that I will use a local "Off Road shop" on the notion that they know what they are doing. Finally I will continue to work on the exhaust.

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"
post #33 of 185 Old 03-18-2018, 09:03 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Good idea about the Off road shop, They "should" (key word there) know a little more about how alignments on lifted vehicles then the average shop!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 185 Old 03-20-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Here are some "after lift" pictures. If you are wondering about the blue tape on the fenders it marked the pre lift axle center. just a reference point. The front axle moved about 1 /12 inches forward, the rear axle stayed the same. Those are the stock tires that came with the GC when I bought it, 245/65/17. I am going to replace them with 265/70/17 tires on those stock rims.
Attached Thumbnails
After Lift 1.jpg   After Lift 2.jpg   After Lift 3.jpg  
grayWJ4x4 likes this.

post #35 of 185 Old 03-20-2018, 05:07 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Get the tailpipe figured out?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #36 of 185 Old 03-21-2018, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

More or less. Today I went to Auto Zone and bought some couplers and a piece of flexible pipe to experiment with the routing. If that works ok then I will probably buy an inexpensive muffler (around $40) with a down pipe because a tail pipe will definitely not fit beyond the start of the rear upper control arms. This will probably be a temporary set up until I am satisfied with the routing, placement and size of the muffler and then take it to a muffler shop to do it for real. I am taking baby steps with this thing. I also went to the "off road" shop and talked to them about the alignment and setting up of the pinion angles, they do that kind of work.
97Mule likes this.

post #37 of 185 Old 03-23-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Well like I posted yesterday I tried the flex hose and it did not worked, it does not flex enough to get around the control arm member. I even cut the outlet pipe of the cat to make as much room as possible and it did not work. It looks like it needs to be a custom job from the point where the "Y" ends (before the transmission member) all the way to the back. The "off road" shop that is going to do my alignment recommended a local shop that does custom exhaust systems, I will take the GC to them and see what they have to say. I hope that it does not cost an arm and a leg.

I am still surprised that members with this IRO kit have not commented on this issue. Oh well!

post #38 of 185 Old 03-23-2018, 09:15 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Not sure many have this system like u have on the back! Its looks like a relatively new product!

post #39 of 185 Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 PM
GhostJeepWJ

2002 WJ 

Garage
Contact Kolak, if I'm not mistaken his (very popular) 3" exhaust system makes certain bends to it to clear long arm kits and such.
At this point, it's worth a shot.

It's not the Destination so much as the Journey!! - Cpt. Jack Sparrow

2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 HO
2" IRO Spring Lift w/Bilstein 5100s 245/75/R17 Goodyear Armour Shield

post #40 of 185 Old 03-24-2018, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Ghost, yes I did talk to Kolak before about this issue. Since this kit is new he was not sure whether his system would work because of the triangulation of the rear 4-link.

Meanwhile I went ahead with the next part of the plan, I went ahead and changed the fluids on both differentials, transfer case, transmission oil and filters and the engine oil and filter. While I was at it I also replaced the transmission oil pan with a Dorman pan with a drain plug.

post #41 of 185 Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Well today it was a busy day, went to BigO tires and ordered the General Grabber AT2 in 265/70/17 and they will be installed on Tuesday as soon as they get to the shop. I also went to the offload shop to make an appointment for the alignment, that will be on Thursday. After that I went to talk to the custom muffler shop and got that end started. He won't be able to get started until 3 weeks but he wants for me to take the GC to the shop to plan it out and order the necessary parts that will be needed.
97Mule likes this.

post #42 of 185 Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

We got new shoes!!! Got the tires installed and they look great. Now I need to plan out the front fender trimming. Like usual it rubs in reverse, inner lining rubs etc. I think that I am going to start by removing about an inch of the edge of the bumper in front of the tires and a bit on the bottom, I disconnected and jacked the tire up and it hits the edge. So far nothing is hitting the back of the tire that I know of but time will tell. Since some of you guys have gone through this process I will venture to say that this process is trial and error.

The final lift numbers ended up at a total of 37 1/2" front and 38" in the rear. This is ground to edge of the fender well.
Attached Thumbnails
After lift and tires 1.jpg   After lift and tires 2.jpg   After lift and tires 3.jpg  
Taylornic and frankencat like this.

post #43 of 185 Old 03-28-2018, 05:30 PM
Taylornic

Looking really good. I have been following along with your build, as I will be using the same lift and tire size. Looking forward to your exhaust update.
post #44 of 185 Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Thanks Taylornic. The guy at the muffler shop is pretty busy, he won't be able to start on the exhaust until April 16th. Meanwhile it is alignment day tomorrow. I think that in the mean time I will work on the fender trimming first then the engine maintenance items like spark plugs,TB, etc.

post #45 of 185 Old 03-29-2018, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Just got back from the alignment shop, they set caster to 5.5 degrees, set the pinion angles and squared the arms; they were a bit off. The only thing that they flag was that I have a rear drive shaft vibration at acceleration, the shop claims that I might need a double cardan drive shaft for the rear. I do not recollect reading anything about this on the forum (needs research). What do you guys think?

The other thing that is on the back of my head is whether to upgrade the rear sway bar. Driving back and forth to the shop I noticed a bit of roll but I am not sure yet. I probably need to drive it more to get acquainted with the vehicle behavior and tendencies and then make a decision.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in