Darth Vader Built Project - 2003 WJ - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #181 of 185 Old 03-26-2020, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

One of the things that has been on the to-do-list is to inspect the spark plugs. Since I am not the original owner I did not know in what condition they were in. So I went ahead and removed the #1 plug, it was not bad at all. The gap was a bit over .045 (new s/b at .040). Since I was there already I said what the heck and went for it. I started on the driver side and then the passenger. Doing the driver side was not hard at all and the first three on the passenger side were about the same. Then came the dreaded #8, I had heard some many horror stories on the forum that I braced myself for a good time. I follow the suggestions on WJ jeeps.com as it related to that plug and guess what, it was a piece of cake for me. From beginning to end it only took me about 30 minutes (I used a stop watch) and the easiest part was the actual removal/installation of the plug. The picture below shows the combination of extensions and swivels that I used to get it done with.

Attached Thumbnails
Spark Plugs 1.jpg   Spark Plug 2.jpg   Spark Plug 3.jpg  

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 185 Old 03-31-2020, 03:55 PM
leadsled jeep

2002 WJ 

Yep it just comes down to the right tool for the job!

'02 4.7HO ~222k ml. 2.5" BDS Springs, All new control arms and Addco Sways. 245-70-17.
post #183 of 185 Old 04-01-2020, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
UncleWoody

Yep, I am a firm believer in that!

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"

post #184 of 185 Old 04-03-2020, 08:49 AM
TastyWheatLoaf

Garage
When I did the plugs on my 4.0 a couple weeks ago, first time doing them since I bought it as well. Old ones were worn to a gap of .07 😂
post #185 of 185 Old 04-06-2020, 08:40 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Plugs are the first thing I check when I buy a Jeep. I use Autolite iridium plugs on all of my 2000 4.0 and 4.7L and newer Jeeps. They last for a good 200,000 miles, so I never need to check them again. It beats changing copper plugs every 20-30,000 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in