CPO 2017 Grand Cherokee - Portfolio Protection Warranty? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-21-2020, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
kbomby2

Garage
CPO 2017 Grand Cherokee - Portfolio Protection Warranty?

Hi All,

First time Jeep Owner here!

Last week I was forced to trade in my GMC Sierra due to the fact that a carseat couldn't fit in the back seat... First time parent problems...

In any event, I recently got into a CPO 2017 Grand Cherokee Limited with about 26K miles. Love the vehicle so far, glad I decided on the Jeep! At the dealership, the finance guy talked me into getting an extended warranty / service contract from a company called Portfolio Protection. He claimed it would cover just about anything that could go wrong with the vehicle, including electrical issues. Cost me about $2,500 over the lifespan of the loan, or ~30 / month.

When I got home, I was talking to some friends who picked up a 2015 Jeep Compass from a different local dealership, and they got an extended warranty through MOPAR.

Knowing this, I wanted to poll the Jeep community on a few things, as this is my first time owning one.

1. What are the most common maintenance / repair issues with Grand Cherokees?
2. If I have a CPO Grand Cherokee, so the drivetrain is covered to 100,000, is it worth it to add on another $2,500 for an extended service contract?
3. Is it odd that I was not "upsold" the MOPAR service contract?

Just looking for some advice on whether or not I should cancel the Portfolio Protection Service Contract (I have 30 days), and/or if I should look into adding the MOPAR one instead.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-22-2020, 01:11 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

In general, third party warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. The dealer makes more money on aftermarket warranties, its not uncommon for them to push them. MOPAR warranties have been better, and you can buy those at any dealer, on line at a discount, and have the Jeep serviced at any dealer.

Worth is subjective, but if your limited has luxury features, they can be expensive to fix, a radio now days is over a grand.

This topic comes up often the the WK2 subforum, where you will also find a buying used and high mileage threads that will give you an idea of what are the most common probems. By far most don't have issues.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/

Never Argue With An idiot. They'll Lower You To Their Level And Then Beat You With Experience!
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in