buying a jeep with salvage title - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
iroll919
1998 XJ Cherokee 

buying a jeep with salvage title

ive been lookin for a wj for quite some time now and came across a 2003 limited with 110,000 miles

its really clean and is silver which is the color i have been looking for

the only catch is it has a salvage title it was hit in the driver side rear quarter area but it has all been repaired and it seems to look and drive just fine

i guess my question is what should i be looking for?
i was also wondering what yalls opinions were on buying a salvage title vehicle
and what things you guys have had experience with

they guy is asking 6000 obo because of the salvage title and i figure 110,000 miles is kind of high

anyway what do you guys think

1998 xj, 1992 yj
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 06:13 PM
01Limited45324

2001 WJ 

I wouldn't buy a salvage titled car, but if you're willing to take that risk, go for it...

110,000 miles isn't very high, I've seen plenty of 4.7s go about 200,000 miles with basic maintnence.

To be honest, unless he has pics and/or paperwork documenting that the only damage was rear quarter panel, I'd walk away. I'd be too worried it was something a little more and I find out the hard way later on that there aren't any airbags anymore.

-Tom

2001 Grand Cherokee Limited
2002 BMW 530i
post #3 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 06:30 PM
XJH-007

I've owned 2 salvaged titled vehicles...and still own one (my 01 XJ). If you do a good enough job looking it over a salvaged vehicle can be a real steal.

My 92 XJ was salvaged (roll over). It looked fine on the outside but had a few issues...not mechanical.

*Leaky windshield
*Some body panels didn't line up just right
*Rattles
*Fading Paint

I put 184,000 miles on that XJ. She was a great vehicle and never stranded me.....the most annoying was the leaks.

Currently my 01 XJ is also a Salvaged vehicle (side swiped). It was fixed much better and has none of the above issues.

*Pop the hood/doors, and rear hatch and look around for crimped/bent areas not seen from the outside
*TAKE IT TO A CAR WASH and power wash it.....see if it has leaks
*Look under the truck for other things that look "out of the ordinary", odd welds, bent parts
*Look for missing trim, fasteners, or molding
*Look at all the body lines where a panel meets the door or hood or some dis-similar part....tweaked body's are easy to spot this way.
*Take a weak magnet to all the panels, large areas of bondo will not be magnetic.
*Tire wear, look for uneven tire wear. Typically people will try to hide this by buying new tires right before they sell.
*Drive it around and listen for rattles, creaks and odd sounds

Salvaged vehicles CAN be very good vehicles. I found that the "shotty" salvaged vehicles had other easily fixed things that the rebuilder just ignored (missing interior trim/fasteners). If they didn't put an extra $5.00 in the right fasteners, they probably cut corners somewhere else too.

A properly salvaged vehicle should be rebuilt above and beyond, making it "appear" to be in better shape then non-salvaged vehicles.

Scott-Crawlorado Native
I have an addiction.....
*00' XJ_T-n-T Y-Link/6" RE_OME's_33" KM2's
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland

post #4 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Treeslam

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've had 5 salvage vehicles: BMW 318, Corvette, Nissan Hardbody, Chevrolet Blazer & Toyota 4-Runner. I had good luck with all of them except for the corvette had a cracked tie rod which I didn't catch before I bought it. Anyway, you have to remember when buying for a good deal, you will have to also sell it for a good deal as everyone is cautious when buying. I will say that when i got ready to by a Jeep, I looked high and low for a salvaged/wrecked one.

94 YJ White (Sold 4/19/12)
07 JK Black (Sold 7/20/10)
09 Maxima(hers)
09 GMC(work truck)
post #5 of 9 Old 10-26-2009, 08:45 PM
Area.3.Fiftyone

1996 ZJ 

My current rig is an R title and after thoroughly looking it over, I cannot see what was hit or why it was salvaged in the first place.

Granted I only paid $500 for it and I really don't care that it has an R title. It all depends on who and how they did the repairs like other's have posted.

The PO hit a deer with mine and replaced the front end sheet metal and lights with aftermarket stuff but there was no structural damage. I plan on replacing it with OEM stuff from other salvage vehicles any way.

79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 04:26 PM
bigbluezj94

1994 ZJ 

you can get good deals on a salvage title but to me that doesnt seem like a good one. i paid 6k for my 99 with 100K on it in jan and it has a clean title... so thats fewer miles and its 4 years older... just something to think about

94 Grand Cherokee Laredo ZJ, lifted, 37s, yada yada yada
BigBlue build 33s, 6in lift and short arms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Buying a rebuilt is a gamble, it could be done well, or really poorly. For the most part, it shouldn't cause any reliability issues, but if corners were cut during the repair, and usually some were, then should you get in another accident, the damage can be a lot worse than it should have been.

-My business, being self-employed rocks.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
post #8 of 9 Old 10-28-2009, 08:51 AM
rugermack

1995 ZJ 

If you don't have the cash up front, some banks won't loan money on a vehicle with a salvage title.
And some insurance companies won't do full coverage either.

95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts
post #9 of 9 Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 AM
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

I wouldn't buy a branded vehicle unless I got the greatest deal anyone has ever gotten. (Or if my plan was to part it out).

Even if you inspect it and it turns out to be fine (it may very well be fine), it'll still be a PITA to sell it down the road because nobody wants a branded vehicle.

I was talking to a guy who was selling a WJ and he told me it was branded. I politely told him I was no longer interested because of that. He had the thing up for sale for a great price for a long time and later sent me another email saying he just decided to keep it since he couldn't sell it for anything more than nothing.

If you know it's a good one, and you plan on driving it till it's worthless anyway or plan on parting it out, then aside from insurance reasons I see no problem with it.

CZJ.

So I installed the flux capacitor but the Jeep just won't do 88 mph.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in