2021 G C Laredo X 4X2 rear end noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Cherden721

2021 G C Laredo X 4X2 rear end noise

Bought new January 2020. 6 cyl. 7400K miles now.
Since purchase there is a noise, sounds like a clunk (one) when I come to a stop. Foot on the break, complete stop. Each time. Sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Took everything out of the trunk area/
Dealer can't find it, since of course it will not do it for the tech. Possibly suspension area.
I just don't want to have the Jeep stop working and leave me on the highway.
Anyone else have this issue?
I like this Jeep and want to keep it, but this worries me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-25-2021, 07:43 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

Some of these transmissions clunk when coming to a stop. You can try reseting the adaptation parameters by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes. Sometimes that helps for awhile.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac
post #3 of 6 Old 11-26-2021, 03:05 AM
Roadijeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherden721 View Post
Bought new January 2020. 6 cyl. 7400K miles now.
Since purchase there is a noise, sounds like a clunk (one) when I come to a stop. Foot on the break, complete stop. Each time. Sounds like its coming from the rear of the car. Took everything out of the trunk area/
Dealer can't find it, since of course it will not do it for the tech. Possibly suspension area.
I just don't want to have the Jeep stop working and leave me on the highway.
Anyone else have this issue?
I like this Jeep and want to keep it, but this worries me.
It has 7,400,000 miles on it??? No wonder something is clunking.

Anyhow, maybe have a family member or someone else drive it while you sit in the cargo area and try to pinpoint where the clunk is coming from. Sometimes a noise may sound like it is coming from one spot when you're behind the wheel but a totally different area when you're sitting somewhere else.

post #4 of 6 Old 11-26-2021, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Cherden721

Sorry, should have been 7,400 {hundred} miles.
Could not find an EDIT tab to change it. You wouldn't happen to know where it is, would you?

I've already done the laying in the back, with the rear seats folded down, on the floor, listening.
Didn't work. Rode 10 miles this way. Had the person do fast stops and take quick turns.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-26-2021, 07:21 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
well its very intermittent. unless the sound was well everyone says many things about what sound sounds like but. light or heavy clunk. do you feel it when you hear it? If you dont its better then if you do....

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-26-2021, 09:02 PM
ColdCase
My Reality Check Bounced

2011 WK 

You won't be able to edit posts until you are out of the probationary period. Its an anti spam thing.

A light thud or bump when coming to a stop on a WK2 still covered by warranty is nearly always transmission related (harsh shift) or something loose in the cargo area or spare tire well. ELSD can also do this but the Laredo won't be equipped with ELSD. You also don't have a transfer case, which can also be the source of bumps. Its rare for cradle or suspension bolts or lug nuts to be loose from the factory. It can happen but those always seem to be easily demonstrated.

There are several threads in the WK2 Model forum on the topic : https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/

Unless you can demonstrate the bump to the tech staff, they will likely not be able to resolve the bump, unless there is a software update or they find low fluid. You do have warranty coverage for 36 month or 36,000 miles. If you can't reliably reproduce the bump, I've not heard of one stranding you.

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory;
Current: 2011 Grand Cherokee Overland V8, 2009 Liberty Rocky Mt V6
Previous: 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo I6, 1979 CJ7 I6 Quadratrac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in