6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 99 Old 06-23-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by caronaxtr2 View Post
Sub'd... Like where you're going with your WJ. Do you know what the yard got the 242HD out of? I have a line on an 04 WJ Overland 4.7HO from Carolina & thinking about picking it up as my next build & want to do the 242HD swap on it if I can.

If you could let me know what you do to dim the LED's i'd appreciate it. I've been replacing all the old lights with LED's & have he same issue. The LED's are too bright when everything else is way to dim.....

Great Build. jealous how clean your rigs are over there. NY salts so much our older rigs just end up being a pile of rust.
It was either a 02 or 03 4.7 limited that the case came out of at the yard. I was shocked they had a total of 3 HD cases on hand. It's a yard where they pull the parts themselves and don't have the best records on what they came from.

I'll keep you and others posted on the light solution, as of right now I just found out a have to drop the transmission after the pin on the manual shaft lever got snapped off while assembling the valve body back into the transmission, not the greatest of news but will resume the lighting and other projects after that's fixed.

Thanks for the compliment, I've taken good care of her all these years aside from putting ~120k miles on it since the initial buy but she still runs great and has been very dependable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

-03 WJ Limited; Check out my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 06-23-2018, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
IRO transfer case skid plate and Tom Woods double cardan rear drive shaft in over the last couple days.

Have I mentioned how much I hate nut plates...! The 4 hole plate for the skid was a major pain for some reason. Overall the skid looks awesome and the clearance and approach angles look great at first glance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 99 Old 06-23-2018, 05:18 PM
UncleWoody

What TC do you have? I just installed mine on a 247 QD and the DS I got from Tom Woods was not the same as yours.

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"

post #34 of 99 Old 06-23-2018, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWoody View Post
What TC do you have? I just installed mine on a 247 QD and the DS I got from Tom Woods was not the same as yours.
I saw yours earlier today, looks nice.

I ditched the 247 recently in place for a 242HD. I knew it was eventually going to nuke itself with a 6.5" lift and bigger tires... Plus... 2WD!

I really wanted to get rid of the slip yoke and full time 4WD.

If the front vari-lok axel goes anytime soon the plan is to swap out for a non vari-lok D30 unless something else comes up for a hell of a deal.

post #35 of 99 Old 06-24-2018, 11:30 AM
UncleWoody

Well that is a relief!! I thought for a second that I had screwed my order.

"If we can really understand the problem, the answer will come out of it, because the answer is not separate from the problem"
post #36 of 99 Old 06-28-2018, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
I did an LED swap in the map lights some time ago using tape light as I had it on hand vs. buying replacement LED lamps for the stock housings. Had some ghosting issues due to sloppy work that was shorting out on the metal mounting plates I used at the time and since I hacked the factory lamp sockets out I figured it was time to fix this, however this time around I wanted to add a night vision mode as the 5000K tape light is very bright on the eyes at night.

I didn't take enough pictures to do a writeup but it's fairly straightforward to do using a switch to flip the negative between the Red and the 5000K LED tape strips. I used some plastic this time around to ensure I had no bleeding of the voltage on the mounting surfaces.

UncleWoody likes this.

Last edited by Brallen86; 06-28-2018 at 03:38 PM. Reason: picture resize
post #37 of 99 Old 07-03-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Good news and bad news today after a call from the transmission shop here in Reno;

The bad; At nearly 200K the transmission is in need of some drastic love, had the old man and I not accidentally snapped a detent off the manual shift lever during the reassembly of the solenoid body who knows how much longer it would have held out...I hear these transmissions are pretty damn stout though. So this will most likely put a damper on phase 2 of the build for a while after I lighten the ol' wallet for the repairs and start setting funds aside once again.

The good; they're able to beef it up a little for me in the process for a couple hundred more and include a new external transmission cooler. I opted to forgo the temp sensor for now as that seemed fairly straight forward and I wasn't about to slap a last minute gauge somewhere in the cab without putting thorough thought into it. The plan for this is to somehow get it integrated into the Ipad once I have that molded into the dash.

Looks like it'll be done this upcoming Thursday but I'll be out of state until the following week while attending High Sierra Music Festival with some friends and family...major Jeep separation anxiety in these neck of the woods but at least the fest will be a good distraction in the meantime.

post #38 of 99 Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Also thinking something like these mini PWM dimmer/controllers may be a good solution to handle the dimming of the extra bright LEDs;

https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Contro...mer+controller

My only concern is that I'm not sure how, or if, a PWM controller will affect the lighting circuit. Or cause any unwanted feedback on the electrical system. The risk seems low and at the cost willing to try it out to see how it goes. Will report back sometime in the near future once I have the Jeep back in hand and some time to work on it.

post #39 of 99 Old 07-10-2018, 05:04 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brallen86 View Post
Good news and bad news today after a call from the transmission shop here in Reno;

The bad; At nearly 200K the transmission is in need of some drastic love, had the old man and I not accidentally snapped a detent off the manual shift lever during the reassembly of the solenoid body who knows how much longer it would have held out...I hear these transmissions are pretty damn stout though. So this will most likely put a damper on phase 2 of the build for a while after I lighten the ol' wallet for the repairs and start setting funds aside once again.

The good; they're able to beef it up a little for me in the process for a couple hundred more and include a new external transmission cooler. I opted to forgo the temp sensor for now as that seemed fairly straight forward and I wasn't about to slap a last minute gauge somewhere in the cab without putting thorough thought into it. The plan for this is to somehow get it integrated into the Ipad once I have that molded into the dash.

Looks like it'll be done this upcoming Thursday but I'll be out of state until the following week while attending High Sierra Music Festival with some friends and family...major Jeep separation anxiety in these neck of the woods but at least the fest will be a good distraction in the meantime.
I googled the festival just out of curiosity. Who are these people? ......by the way ,good work so far!

post #40 of 99 Old 07-10-2018, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Mule View Post
I googled the festival just out of curiosity. Who are these people? ......by the way ,good work so far!
If you mean the shop, it's General Transmission in Reno NV.

If you mean the festival, it's being going on in Quincy CA since 98 if I recall correctly. One of the best festivals I've attended to date. My folks moved my brother and I up to the mountains from the bay at a really young age and took us every year (Dead heads so what else would you expect haha) so it's become somewhat of a tradition at this point. We typically have a group of 40+ and growing every year that we attend now. The music is a mix of bluegrass, rock, classic rock, funk and some edm for the most part. If you live close by and enjoy the type of music, mixed with 4 days of camping, I would highly recommend it. People travel from all over the world as well, I met a couple from Australia and another from Germany this year.

One of my friends was rocking an arb awning on his 4runner at the fest and it looked pretty sweet, might have to add this to the wish list for the jeep. Anyone have any experience with them?

I guess I should add some Jeep updates as well to keep on topic. Just took her out for a spin today, the bill from the shop hurt but I can honestly say the transmission feels better than ever and so far the gas mileage after the 242HD swap looks to be improved after rididng the 247. I still need to do some actual long term mileage runs to be sure, should be taking a trip up to CA by next week so I'll report back. The main noticeable difference is that my front end seems like it is much happier turning at tight or full lock than ever before, no more hopping and the old transfer case felt like it still had a decent amount of life in it when I dropped it and spun the yokes.

The shift kit doesn't seem very noticeable with relation to what others have posted, seems quicker but still smooth in my opinion.

The shop also rebuilt the transmission with a HD kit, a HD torque converter and added an external cooler after discussing usage and potential options when it arrived at their location last week. I opted out of the temp sensor at the time being as I wasn't present to pick out a gauge and they didn't want to be responsible for picking one out or locating an installation point. So that'll be added at a later point in time.

If anyone is looking for a used 247 hit me up, it's just a big ugly paper weight for me at this point in time.

Thanks for the compliment though. I'm thinking one of my next updates will be a fender cut and roll for the front. I've seen some pictures and I really like the look of them when they're rolled after being trimmed. Looks like you can get a decent roller for under $75 on amazon... If it extends far enough after the trim that is.

post #41 of 99 Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 PM
97Mule
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Garage
Roller for the trimed fenders, Hmm

post #42 of 99 Old 08-09-2018, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Well it's been a while and not much is new, started a new job as the owner of a flooring shop, so that's taken up most of my time lately.

Recently replaced the front passenger window regulator.

Need to replace a boot on the new moog drag link end at the pitman arm that disintegrated after less than a couple hundred miles. I think it had a pinhole in it before I installed it so I picked up some Energy Suspension replacement boots to address rather than replace the whole unit given its brand new.

On a positive note, I found a flopped grand local to my area that has a LSR front winch bumper I may snatch up. Going to take a look at it in person next weekend and hopefully take it home to slap on the jeep for a fair price. Looking forward to losing the stock bumper.

post #43 of 99 Old 09-19-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
JKS discos on order and anxiously awaiting delivery 5 minutes later haha.

Planning on putting funds aside for the rear long arms and exhaust next unless I can get this local guy to pull the LSR bumper I've been nagging him about for a month now.

post #44 of 99 Old 09-25-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Brown Santa delivered the goods today so I slapped them on pretty quick after getting home today. Install was a breeze, wish they came with posts or brackets to hold the sway bar up. Tested it out a bit after, found an old picture for the best comparison I can find at the moment.

post #45 of 99 Old 09-30-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Brallen86

2003 WJ 

Garage
Finally picked up the front bumper for the Jeep today. Came with a set of ProComp fog lights and a ZJ washer reservoir. Not to shabby if I don't say so myself for $400 total.

Gonna try to get it all done Monday when I head back to my shop in CA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in