XJ Overheating Problem - I've Tried Everything - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-09-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Murphykid

XJ Overheating Problem - I've Tried Everything

I have 2000 Cherokee XJ Sport 4L with 99k miles and I have been having overheating problems over the last couple weeks.

So far I've replaced my thermostat, radiator cap, water pump, hoses, head gasket, and intake manifold. The radiator is ~3 years old.

My check gauges light will come on and when I check under the hood everything looks normal, the fans are running and what not. However, when I turn off the engine everything pressurizes. Coolant spills out of the overflow and the radiator cap starts to hiss and spit. Whenever I check the coolant before I go somewhere it always seems to be low.

I'm not really sure what else to try at this point so any input would be really helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2018, 07:42 PM
XJ-Ray
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Have you recently changed the coolant? There may be air trapped in the water jacket around the engine. This would cause a hot spot that would boil the coolant creating the pressure. This has happened to me twice, once after changing the coolant, and once when the coolant was allowed to get too low. When able, try to 'burp' the system by facing the vehicle up a steep incline, ~45 deg if possible, while the engine is cool, remove the cap and add coolant to try and get the air out of the water jacket. If this continues, there is a risk of the block cracking. Check your oil for a milky look, that can indicate a crack in the engine block and coolant in the oil. Also, if there is excessive moisture or a coolant smell to the exhaust, could indicate a cracked head.

2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ
4.0L, Command Track
Customized Ride Project
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 PM
matt_xj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Ray View Post
Have you recently changed the coolant? There may be air trapped in the water jacket around the engine. This would cause a hot spot that would boil the coolant creating the pressure. This has happened to me twice, once after changing the coolant, and once when the coolant was allowed to get too low. When able, try to 'burp' the system by facing the vehicle up a steep incline, ~45 deg if possible, while the engine is cool, remove the cap and add coolant to try and get the air out of the water jacket. If this continues, there is a risk of the block cracking. Check your oil for a milky look, that can indicate a crack in the engine block and coolant in the oil. Also, if there is excessive moisture or a coolant smell to the exhaust, could indicate a cracked head.

I just recently changed my coolant - it's a little bit of a process getting all of the air out of the system but it's not so bad and it's likely that air in your system is causing the problem. What I did: drained all of the coolant, swapped my water pump during the process, reattached all hoses, added coolant to the overflow reservoir, and started adding fluid to the radiator. As you're adding fluid to the radiator, it works it's way through the system and it pushes all of the air up, so you're adding fluid and bubbles are coming up. At a point, the bubbles stop coming up and the fluid is not going into the radiator on it's own anymore. At this point rock the jeep back and forth, up and down to burp it. More bubbles come, more coolant is working its way through the system, and keep doing this until no more bubbles and radiator again looks full. Then, you turn the jeep on so the pump can work the fluid through the system, but what happens is the fluid overflows out of the radiator cap because from what I've gathered (by trying this and failing previously), this is just part of working the fluid and air through the system. This happens for a few minutes, stick with it, then all at once the fluid from the top of the radiator cap is quickly sucked into the radiator and you need to add a lot more fluid. When this happened, I noticed that the temp gauge spiked and the engine was running hot. When I kept adding fluid and reached the intended levels, the temperature leveled out and everything seemed to be working fine. Total volume of the system i've read is 3 gallons. I think I was able to add less than 2 gallons before the point where I turned the car on, then once the fluid was getting worked through the system i was able to add about another 1 gallon. It's a little tedious, but it worked perfectly for me.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-11-2018, 08:15 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Have you taken an heat gun and verified temps? It is semi normal for a little fluid to pressure bleed off when the engine is shut off and the coolant quits circulating. Have you checked for a blockage in the coolant overflow line and the coolant overflow/recovery bottle. All coolant bleeding off should be going to the recovery tank, then when the cooling system cools back off, there will be low pressure in the radiator and it should pull coolant back in and refill the system. If you are not running a coolant recovery system, then yes, it will bleed off the excessive coolant and then will always seem low. Also, it should only bleed coolant to the recovery system, not out around the cap. It it bleeds around the cap, then you have an issue with the cap not being tight/fitting correctly or with the radiator neck.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Tags
cherokee , overheating

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in