XJ Coolant Bubbling Out of Reservoir Tank? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
mrkevelev

XJ Coolant Bubbling Out of Reservoir Tank?

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0 L, 4x4). I had my engine idling for about 10 minutes. I then shut it off. About 2 minutes after I turned it off, the coolant began to bubble out of the overflow/reservoir tank. It was fine when the engine was running, and the temperature gauge was sitting right in the middle. I checked all the fluids a few months ago, and haven't had any issues. The only thing that's changed is that the weather has gotten a bit warmer (transitioning from NY winter to spring). Anybody ever seen this before? Also, the thermostat was replaced about 2 years ago, and the coolant level was good. I've been keeping an eye on it periodically since my TUPY head swap last year. So really there haven't been any changes in the last few months.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-12-2019, 06:46 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The first thing that comes to mind would be the radiator cap is old and not holding pressure as it should. Next in line would be you may have some air in the system that needs to be worked out.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
mrkevelev

Mukluk,

I don't understand the part about the pressure cap. If it leaked, wouldn't less air be trapped in the system? Isn't it positive pressure inside the radiator? What about the fact that it occurred only after I shut the engine off?

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2019, 02:00 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Increasing the pressure on the cooling system increases the boiling point of the fluid. Stopping the engine also stops the flow of coolant, allowing areas of coolant in contact with the cylinders to absorb more heat as it just sits there (heat soak). If the radiator cap is weak and providing less than the correct pressure rating, it will allow the fluid in these hot spots to boil, producing bubbles and spitting into the overflow tank.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
mrkevelev

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Increasing the pressure on the cooling system increases the boiling point of the fluid. Stopping the engine also stops the flow of coolant, allowing areas of coolant in contact with the cylinders to absorb more heat as it just sits there (heat soak). If the radiator cap is weak and providing less than the correct pressure rating, it will allow the fluid in these hot spots to boil, producing bubbles and spitting into the overflow tank.
The cap is providing a good seal. I should've mentioned this earlier, but i recently installed a new cap a few months ago (must have forgotten).
post #6 of 6 Old 05-14-2019, 04:09 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The spring rating is what's important. Did you install an 18lb cap?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Tags
boiling , coolant , overflow tank , overheating , temperature

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in