What sealant to use on a leaking #11 head bolt? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
CarComp
2002 WJ 

What sealant to use on a leaking #11 head bolt?

I have my whole engine assembled for awhile now. I have been tracing down a pretty substantial coolant leak. I replaced the radiator (it needed to be replaced, it was full of crud), and bypassed the heater core. I have found that the leak looks like its coming front the head gasket near the #11 (i think) head bolt... The one that goes into the coolant jacket. I probably didn't use enough goop / the wrong goop / forgot to goop / reused the goop. Who knows. But now its full of coolant, and i need to pop it out and seal the thing, and put it back in.

What kind of sealant should I use? I'd rather not drain the coolant out of it again, but I will if I must. I'd rather use a putty type sealant, or a 'mechanical' sealant that works by displacing the water (like silicone) and then its just stuck in there and hardens. I have regular white 'thin' thread sealant and I also have some RTV black. I will purchase something else.

I don't wanna get into the argument about reusing the head bolts. I already found out that its fine to reuse them. Also I am not tearing it down again to fix it. If i can't seal it up, its just gonna leak. This would make 4 times having the head off if I were to dismantle it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-24-2021, 11:51 PM
AZSobo
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Location: Somewhere in the desert west of New Mexico and east of California.
I have the same question, have possible leak @ #11.

I want to put a new bolt into #11 - coolant system full, don't want to drain, which sealant for this application, would Permatex High Temp be a good choice?

2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 30x9.5 15 Tires on Alum. Rims, Tomken Bumpers front and rear - Everything else Stock
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Boojo35
Web Wheeler
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Permatex thread sealant. It is a liquid type teflon sealant made specifically for threads.

If you cannot fix it with a hammer then it has to be an electrical problem.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-26-2021, 06:49 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Permatex aviation form a gasket

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in