Wanna b ina Jeep - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kruzin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 02-18-2020, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Phinsfan

Wanna b ina Jeep

Hello All,
My Dad just gave me an old jeep he had sitting on his property. I believe it to be a 1970 CJ5. He said it was running great before the engine blew. axles, tires, body and frame look good.
Question: If I have to replace the engine, I don't want to drop another 4 cylinder in it. What do ya'll recommend. I will be using this as a beach cruiser/ deer hunter. No crawling or mudding.

Patrick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-18-2020, 10:05 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The cheapest, easiest route is to replace it with the same type engine (or rebuild it). Changing to a different engine will require thousands upon thousands of dollars of added work.
You can't just drop in a different engine. Transmission, cooling, electrical and more will all need changed as well.

If you're seriously wanting to take on that major a project, I'd start reading in the CJ tech section of the forums. There's been lots of this type of work done and documented in there. The FAQ in that forum has links to some of them, as well as a wealth of other good info you'll need to know.
riverzj likes this.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 3 Old 02-27-2020, 03:14 AM
Kcooks12

2001 TJ Wrangler 

What Kruzin said. For a beach and hunting rig the old motor should do just fine. You could run a self learning fuel injected setup if you wanted more reliability. Probably be in the 3-5k realm to pay someone to do it. If you're dead set on swapping motors... the jeep 4.0 is easy to work on and you could snag all the wiring plus a 5 speed from a wrecked TJ or YJ... probably nearing the 10k mark here. Then it's just a matter of the fuel pump, radiator, and miscellaneous lines. Other gas options are a chevy 350 with a turbo 350 3 speed auto... probably similar to the 10k mark. Of course if you want to get super crazy and cool, grab a Cummins repower 4 cylinder diesel.... but be prepared to spend 15k if you do it yourself and 25k if you pay someone to do it. I'm pulling all these numbers out of the air... but to give you an idea I did. 4.0 motor, rebuild with all new sensors and bolt on parts it was about 4k doing the work myself (minus the internals on the motor).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in