VW 1.9L tdi swap with a 42rle transmission - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
BlackTieTJ

VW 1.9L tdi swap with a 42rle transmission

Has anyone swapped a 1.9L tdi into a jeep TJ with the 42rle (4-speed auto) transmission? I've read of a lot of people doing the swap with the AX15 but haven't seen anything about the 42rle. Apparently the company TD conversions makes an adapter that will mesh the 42rle to the tdi, does anyone have experience with them? Any information would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 09:25 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Interesting. I've looked at the kit for the manual before, but didn't think there was an option for the automatic. I like the idea of this swap given the engine size and weight. Too many of the common diesel swaps that get talked about are just so heavy. IIRC the kits are not cheap though.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
BlackTieTJ

That is why I like it as well. A light engine with more torque than the 4.0 and better fuel efficiency. The 4.0 I have in my jeep now works great, I just thought this would be a cool project later down the line and wanted to see what was out there for ideas.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 05:50 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

As an owner of a vehicle with a 42RLE,I'd go a different route.
You are starting with a clean slate.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2018, 08:48 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
was three years ago. a guy in a Suzuki had a one of the vwI4s in his. was a stick though.meet him on the Rubicon at the springs at camp that year.

i was thinking the same thing the 42le stock has a rather low torque input. seems for the money one would look for a better trans or would have to have some "work done" to the 42 le. note sure how well that trans is in the support market for builds. but hey with enough money you can build anything. if that vw is shorter than say a I6. maybe you can stuff in a larger trans. trouble with any of the modern ones is controlling them. but even the auto 5 speed would be light years and even better fuel. 42le gear splits are horrible. 3 speed 2.56 1st and OD that fall off the table at what .67? they should have maybe went with the NAG. at least it can take 428 foot pounds at the input stock. not to long, fits in a jk. though if one was really doing this then the ZF8 with its 4.5:1 first good splits, yes it has a .67 OD but it has a .87 too. dont need that .67. maybe small tires on a car. all depend on if there room for a drive shaft

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in