transmission issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 02-02-2016, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

transmission issues

so all of a sudden my trans is whining and wont shift unless i wind it up to about 3500. when it does get into gear it wint shift passed 2nd. and jumps in and out of gear. to me sound slike my transmission is toasted. looking for second opinions what do ya think

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fluid?

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 18 Old 02-03-2016, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

the line blew off a few weeks ago i changed it and filled it up fresh fluid still full

post #4 of 18 Old 02-04-2016, 09:34 PM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

It's time for a rebuild

its a rusty one

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90-yj-frame-swap-build-up-1434246/
post #5 of 18 Old 02-05-2016, 10:17 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovett86 View Post
It's time for a rebuild
I'd try for a band adjustment as a last resort,he might be able to squeeze some time out of it.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #6 of 18 Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 AM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Possible, but some of the bands require the valve body to be removed, unless he is comfortable doing that he is better off pulling it out to be rebuilt or putting in a used one

its a rusty one

post #7 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 AM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

There are 2 bands and neither require the valve body to be removed, just need to drop pan and remove the filter for the rear band. The rear band is only applied in reverse or manually shifted low/1st, it is only applied in low/1st for engine braking not the actual gear, so for your problem you don't really need to worry about this band. The front band is only applied in 2nd, you will not have 2nd gear if the band has failed in any way. The front band is adjusted externally, its a little forward and above the shift linkage, a tight spot to get to BTW. I doubt its a band adjustment issue, because as bands wear they gradually get out of adjustment not all at once. When it finally shifts out of 1st, does it really feel like you are in 2nd or is it possible its shifting from 1st to 3rd, I ask because it kind of sounds like that's whats going on with how you describe the problem.

The whining sound, does it whine anytime the engine is running, sitting still, or only when you moving? If it whines with the engine running and sitting still sounds like a pump or hydraulic problem. If the whine is only when moving you probably have a hard part failure, like a bearing, clutch or gear set failure. Since the fluid was replaced recently, what does it look like, smell burned? I would drop the pan and check for debris, clutch material or metal.
post #8 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

im a mechanic so that wouldnt be an issue but i found a used for 440 i was thinkin of throwing that in not deal with the bull and then have it fail in a liottle while again. new ione got a warranty and run tested
post #9 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
There are 2 bands and neither require the valve body to be removed, just need to drop pan and remove the filter for the rear band. The rear band is only applied in reverse or manually shifted low/1st, it is only applied in low/1st for engine braking not the actual gear, so for your problem you don't really need to worry about this band. The front band is only applied in 2nd, you will not have 2nd gear if the band has failed in any way. The front band is adjusted externally, its a little forward and above the shift linkage, a tight spot to get to BTW. I doubt its a band adjustment issue, because as bands wear they gradually get out of adjustment not all at once. When it finally shifts out of 1st, does it really feel like you are in 2nd or is it possible its shifting from 1st to 3rd, I ask because it kind of sounds like that's whats going on with how you describe the problem.

The whining sound, does it whine anytime the engine is running, sitting still, or only when you moving? If it whines with the engine running and sitting still sounds like a pump or hydraulic problem. If the whine is only when moving you probably have a hard part failure, like a bearing, clutch or gear set failure. Since the fluid was replaced recently, what does it look like, smell burned? I would drop the pan and check for debris, clutch material or metal.
first start up oots fine throw in rverse its ok u start moving with it in drive u can go for like 30 seconds then its whining like a baby and then it diesnt want to stay in gear and i have to rev it to pop in
post #10 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

fluid looks like it came out of the bottle no bad smell
post #11 of 18 Old 02-06-2016, 02:15 PM
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I'm just guessing the whine is coming from the pump starving for fluid then, hard to tell over the internet but the pump will make a whine type noise if its pumping air, just like if it was real low on fluid. Maybe its possible that the filter is clogged or loose causing the pump to starve.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

im just gunna get a used one you think i should take the pan off and change the filter bfore i put it bck in
post #13 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 10:58 AM
lovett86

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Always

its a rusty one

post #14 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
erndizz
1996 ZJ 

alrighty then
post #15 of 18 Old 02-08-2016, 12:11 PM
TIPPEDITOVER
Brakes are for quitters

1978 CJ5 

Auto trans with alot of miles/wear that haven't had the fluid changed out frequently will often times experience slippage after a complete fresh fluid change. The frictions and steels were relying on the old nasty viscous fluid as a component to help prevent slippage.

Yes, I agree just R&R with a known good unit and back to motoring with the least amount of trouble. Flush out the cooler and lines real good.

Ongoing CJ-5 to CJ-6 Build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in