TJ not starting - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 04-22-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

TJ not starting

The issues keep piling on it seems like. A few weeks ago it would crank and didnt start. After sitting for a few mins it started up and everything was fine. Yesterday it did it again except now it wont start period. Tried again today and nothing. Cranks fine just wont turn over. Voltage at the battery is fine. No loose wires from what I can see and it's not throwing any codes on the reader. Thoughts? And yes it has fuel lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-23-2019, 11:54 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked for spark and fuel at the cylinders?
post #3 of 18 Old 04-23-2019, 03:21 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Plenty of threads on this very subject: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/sear...rchid=69509945

As biffgnar suggested, start by determining if you're getting spark or fuel while cranking the Jeep. A quick shot of starting fluid down the intake will help with diagnosis -- if it briefly fires you're not getting fuel, if it doesn't then you're not getting spark.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

Its bizarre to me. I was out of town for a few days on business and when I came back it fires up without any issue. I haven't checked yet if it could be a fuel or spark issue. What could cause intermittent starting issues like this?
post #5 of 18 Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The fuel pump check valves that are supposed to hold line pressure are known to fail. Try cycling the ignition on but not to start for two seconds several times to allow the pump to build up line pressure, then turn it to start. If this cures the crank but no fire issue, you have a bad check valve.

Other possible intermittent issues are going to be electrical in nature and will require further troubleshooting to narrow down.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 04:53 AM
98ROADREADY
1998 ZJ 

Maybe silly question but when it won’t start has it been wet out or rained overnight? If so I would check the coil tower for jumping spark with someone cranking it over.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

It hasn't had any cranking issues at all. Just times where it wont turn over. Cranks fine and battery voltage is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
The fuel pump check valves that are supposed to hold line pressure are known to fail. Try cycling the ignition on but not to start for two seconds several times to allow the pump to build up line pressure, then turn it to start. If this cures the crank but no fire issue, you have a bad check valve.

Other possible intermittent issues are going to be electrical in nature and will require further troubleshooting to narrow down.
post #8 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

To be honest I haven't paid much attention on whether or not its rained previously but definately something to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ROADREADY View Post
Maybe silly question but when it won’t start has it been wet out or rained overnight? If so I would check the coil tower for jumping spark with someone cranking it over.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kappatos View Post
It hasn't had any cranking issues at all. Just times where it wont turn over. Cranks fine and battery voltage is good.
I don't believe you understood my post. At no point did I say nor imply your Jeep wouldn't crank, I suggested a test for a bad fuel pump check valve.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #10 of 18 Old 05-02-2019, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukluk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kappatos View Post
I don't believe you understood my post. At no point did I say nor imply your Jeep wouldn't crank, I suggested a test for a bad fuel pump check valve.
Sorry about that. Completely misread your original post.
post #11 of 18 Old 05-05-2019, 11:36 AM
brian-mcBride

2014 grand cherokee. i have had this difficulty for past 2-3 months now. Just doesn't start at any given time.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian-mcBride View Post
2014 grand cherokee. i have had this difficulty for past 2-3 months now. Just doesn't start at any given time.
Same exact thing with mine. Now I did take the advice from another forum member and "prime" the fuel pump a few times before cranking it over and it's been starting without any issues for the last week or so but again it's been doing it randomly where it just wont fire up.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-12-2019, 10:34 AM
brian-mcBride

Dear Mike,
Thank a lot for your reason. Can you please suggest me any other site. as i need same information as on urgent basis.
post #14 of 18 Old 06-23-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Mike Kappatos

Update.... so for the last few weeks everything was fine. Yesterday I was driving and while driving I felt the engine shut off. Didnt lose power because my radio was still playing but the engine shut off for a few seconds and then was fine after that. The rest of the trip and then a few hours later the drive home was fine. Today I pack up to head to the beach and once again it cranked but didnt fire. I primed it a few times and she fired up. I drove about 1/4 and stop a corner store and before I could put it in park it shuts off and wouldn't start back up. Tried starting for a good 15mina before I gave up. Swapped cars and went about our way. Fast forward 10 hrs later on our way back from the beach, I stop where i left the jeep just to see if itll fire up and sure enough it fired right up. Oh and a side note. A few days ago when I got in I noticed that the time was wrong by about 15mins back. Somehow while sitting it must have lost power or something and the time was off. I'm thinking that the radio power and my starting issues might be related but I honestly dont even know where to begin.. could it be a bad ground somewhere? Only thought I have.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-23-2019, 08:25 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

When you're switching the ignition on to prime the fuel pressure, are you hearing the pump kick on every time? If not, try swapping the fuel pump and horn relays in the PDC then try it again to see if that gets the pump working every time. Have you tried spraying a shot of starting fluid down the intake yet to see if the Jeep will fire briefly on the fluid when it otherwise will not start?

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in