stroke/rebuild a 4.0L please contribute your knowledge and advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
DoctorTim

2002 WJ 

stroke/rebuild a 4.0L please contribute your knowledge and advice

So my 1996 4.0L is going in for a rebuild sometime soon due to a knocking noise and bad exhaust valves

My father said he would pay for it.

What I would like to do is to stroke the 4.0, but that costs a big chunk of money and he said no to the part where it costs a lot. I need to find a way to increase the stroke of my motor for as cheap as possible. I don't care how much more liters my motor gets, anything helps, im serious, even if it gets it to 4.1L

Informational websites about stroked motors are way too lengthy and technical for me to understand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 09:51 PM
JeepinJarhead03

do it right, do it once

if money is an issue, it may be better off for you in the short, and long run, to see if you can find a 4.0 that's not knocking and still runs pretty well that someone doesn't want / or cheap , IE the for sale section here

Heck, even a running 4cyl might get you by while you save up money and get parts as you're able to afford it

ya need to decide if you can afford to get the block milled and cleaned up for the new build before going down that road, it can be cheap to fix mechanical problems, but not prepping your block correctly on a new build is a great way to drain your investment out your oil pan in 10k miles
post #3 of 6 Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM
flatlander757

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanked View Post
Informational websites about stroked motors are way too lengthy and technical for me to understand.
Then obviously anybody with information to contribute is wasting their time replying to you.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=jeep+4.0l+stroker

SOLDThe lumbering steel-laden pig - 2003 TJ - 40" LTBs - D60/D70HD - 5.86s - Detroit lockers - 110" wheelbase

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 12:10 PM
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

jeep strokers.com
post #5 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 12:22 PM
gremlinsteve

2006 TJ Wrangler 

yep..jeep strokers.com has a low buck recipe. no rewason to rebuild the stock 4.0 stock again..

except tuning....you will not have any luck there in my opinion. i do not like piggy backs and you have nothing else available.

ill put my two cents in for a stock rebuild to keep you going since you are obviously money strapped.

steve-o
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2011, 12:28 PM
herbiehind
1999 TJ Wrangler 

dino svvys' adjustable map sensor .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in