Stalled - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
diowil

Wow, I have never been on one of these forums before and have read a lot about the stalled problems elsewhere. I'm not sure who ever said I went 7 months without an oil change. I never said that I said we had one done at 3,000, 8,000 now at 13,000. I have only had the car for 7 months. So that means I have now had 3 oil changes in 7 months. I have to say I am really surprised by all your miserable lives on here except a few, Nick613 and Mukluk, that you have to spew it to other people. Really, everyone in this world can be nice and informative at the same time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I did not say you didn't have your oil changed in 7 months.
I said YOU never CHECKED your oil in 7 months, as evidenced by your original post where you made it obvious you don't even know how to check it.

You came in here on the offensive, ranting and raving about things you want to blame on Jeep that are clearly your own fault. Sorry if that truth hurts to hear, it's an expensive lesson to learn.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #18 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 04:41 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

You came on here demanding that Jeep do something, when it was you that should have done something, check the oil. did you verify the oil level after the 8K mile change to make sure it was full? it wasn't Jeep's fault that you didn't take care of your vehicle and most on here are brand loyal and will give you a straight response when you start shooting down their favorite brand.
thumperjohn151 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

post #19 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

I guess Fourtrail, Kruzin and CJ-Tim are the sort of people who'd say "she deserved it" because she was wearing a short skirt? Lighten up, guys.

While monitoring the oil level routinely by actually eyeballing the dip stick is a good idea, a great many people don't do that and shouldn't really have to for a car that's only months old (depending on mileage, of course). Given that a 10,000 mile oil change interval is more the norm in these days of CNC machining and synthetic oil, is it reasonable to expect a new vehicle to simply stall at speed due to oil starvation?

A quick check of the Owner's Manual (available online at https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehic...rs-manual.html, had anybody bothered to check before casting aspersions) reveals that the 2018 Jeep Renegade is equipped with "an automatic oil change indicator system" that "will illuminate in the instrument cluster when service is required" and which factors in certain operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow and extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures when it determines when to illuminate.

The owner's manual does follow all that with a note calling for an oil change "As indicated by Oil Change Indicator System" but states that the interval should never exceed 10,000 miles for standard duty, or 4,000 miles for severe duty.

Aside from all that, the owner's manual also reveals that the oil capacity is over 5 quarts, the exact amount depending on the specific engine. According to the OP, his dealer says that he personally is aware of over 30 Jeep Renegades that have used what must amount to over a quart of oil per thousand miles. If it was being burned, that would produce quite a bit of smoke. So where is all that oil going?

I can't see legal counsel at Jeep being okay with a vehicle design that allows the engine to abruptly shut down at speed due to something like a low oil level, much less be happy about the class-action suit that is coming sooner or later over the oil consumption itself, if nothing else.

Perhaps diowil should pay more attention to his vehicle, but by and large I doubt he's atypical of today's car owners.

If he is truly to be admonished, I'd say it should be for not knowing to avoid buying something made by Fiat in the first place...

"Let all the laws be clear, uniform and precise:
To interpret laws is almost always to corrupt them."

~ Voltaire
post #20 of 29 Old 08-14-2019, 03:58 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I deliberately stay away from new vehicles...for a number of reasons. But, it would be interesting to discover exactly HOW the Jeep stopped running when pressure went low, as well as how the pressure dove to the cellar.

I haven't read anywhere of a 'defeat' condition programmed into software where the motor is designed to stop running. I do know that lowered oil can cause starvation, on hard stops, turns, hard accelerations, and high, steady speeds if the drain-back isn't fast enough. So I could conceivably get HOW the pressure dropped, but not Why the shutoff. Does sound like a design flaw though???

All the same, it does pay to observe your ride closely until you understand her habits...whether 'she' is a car or wife!
thumperjohn151 likes this.
post #21 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt44 View Post
I guess Fourtrail, Kruzin and CJ-Tim are the sort of people who'd say "she deserved it" because she was wearing a short skirt? Lighten up, guys.

Wow, a correlation of pointing out an irresponsible vehicle owner to siding with a sexual predator.... Guess I need to re-evaluate my values....

I will put together a participation trophy for the OP for best oil level checker of the year.

post #22 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 09:19 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I didn't even realize the gender of the poster, I rarely pay attention to that.
A bad owner is a bad owner, regardless of their chromosomes.
A female is just as capable as a male to check the oil, I see no reason to treat her any different than any other vehicle owner when it comes to something this simple. And you can be assured a male would have gotten just as much grief in the same situation.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #23 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 10:39 AM
desertdiver

Garage
dipstick

& while on the subject of oil. The dipstick who changed the oil may have not filled it properly - which then the dealer may blame the engine for "burning" oil so quickly... if you are truly burning oil then you have more problems than lack of oil. fouled plugs, sensors, worn rings, bad seals ( & not the cute ones at the zoo) no new car should burn that much oil, unless you have a diesel All comes down to owner responsibility - it's your car (unless the bank owns it), you have to take care of it, just like a kid, you're responsible to feed, clean up after it, take it to the DR when needed, and generally make sure there is nothing wrong with it and if so, have someone qualified to fix the problem. So, you didn't kill it, learn from this inexpensive mistake and become better -
post #24 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 11:22 AM
jp7430
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diowil View Post
Good morning. Two days ago I was driving around 40 miles an hour on a curvy road. My engine stalled and the power steering went out. Thank goodness no semi's were behind me. I called the dealership and took it in. Yesterday they called and said my oil was low and that would cause the engine to stall. I said "While Driving???". He said yes. He said he has had about 30 other people with the same issue. I said then why didn't my oil light come on. He said he couldn't answer that. So let me get this straight. I bought a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in December and the only way for me to know when to change the oil or that my oil is low is when I'm driving at 60 miles an hour and my car stalls resulting in me getting run over by a semi or car. I have read other posts where people are having the same issue. The Jeep goes through oil and no lights come on. What is Jeep going to do about this before someone gets killed.
I think the question was valid and was not answered. Unfortunate that there were so many to respond badly. No engine oil light = oil pressure was at least present, so, “why did engine stall”, was not really answered. I also agree with the concern of the engine stalling as the timing could have been worse! I would also state my wife blew an engine that had a sudden loss of oil from road debris puncturing oil filter...the engine never stalled but did lock up very quickly. It is not the norm for an engine to stall due to low oil level or pressure, without knowing further detail.
post #25 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 05:35 PM
nick613

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdiver View Post
& while on the subject of oil. The dipstick who changed the oil may have not filled it properly - which then the dealer may blame the engine for "burning" oil so quickly... if you are truly burning oil then you have more problems than lack of oil. fouled plugs, sensors, worn rings, bad seals ( & not the cute ones at the zoo) no new car should burn that much oil, UNLESS YOU HAVE A DIESEL All comes down to owner responsibility - it's your car (unless the bank owns it), you have to take care of it, just like a kid, you're responsible to feed, clean up after it, take it to the DR when needed, and generally make sure there is nothing wrong with it and if so, have someone qualified to fix the problem. So, you didn't kill it, learn from this inexpensive mistake and become better -
My diesel doesnt even come close to burning that much oil! And it leaks too, from the rear main seal, oil filter and oil pan gasket. I go through about a quart per 5k miles 2005 cummins with 240k miles...

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #26 of 29 Old 08-15-2019, 09:31 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp7430 View Post
I think the question was valid and was not answered. Unfortunate that there were so many to respond badly. No engine oil light = oil pressure was at least present, so, “why did engine stall”, was not really answered. I also agree with the concern of the engine stalling as the timing could have been worse! I would also state my wife blew an engine that had a sudden loss of oil from road debris puncturing oil filter...the engine never stalled but did lock up very quickly. It is not the norm for an engine to stall due to low oil level or pressure, without knowing further detail.

Stall is kinda the incorrect term for what happened. The computer shut the engine off because of a low oil level to protect the engine from damage. I will agree that Jeep/Fiat is at fault for their engine shutdown non warning and parameters under which the engine can be shut down. If Jeep/Fiat wants to use an engine shut down to protect itself when a low oil level condition is seen, it shouldn't shut down immedietly, but alarm and reduce power/limp mode until the vehicle can be driven to a safe place to stop.

post #27 of 29 Old 08-16-2019, 06:54 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Stall is kinda the incorrect term for what happened. The computer shut the engine off because of a low oil level to protect the engine from damage.
I am unclear as to whether that is an assumption, or if this was reported or published by Fiat??? That's my 'guess' as well, but is that notion confirmed?
post #28 of 29 Old 08-26-2019, 01:14 AM
thumperjohn151

1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

So let me get this straight. . . Are all you learned folks saying, or alluding to, that there are two(2) oil sensors in this thing: one for pressure, and one for level? And the only one the driver sees is the pressure? No warning for the low level, just 'engine shutdown'?
**New or used, always check your oil level**

I bought a new vehicle back in the mid 80's that used a quart every 1000 miles from new - at 6000 miles, and 2 oil changes later, I took it back to the dealer 'cause I figured something was wrong (rings never seated) and they said "Oh that's normal..." When I hit 12,000 miles, and the problem hadn't stopped (and the manufacturer* didn't want to do anything) I traded it off for a car I still own today...
post #29 of 29 Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
I am unclear as to whether that is an assumption, or if this was reported or published by Fiat??? That's my 'guess' as well, but is that notion confirmed?
Posts 9, 12, 14, 15, 18, and 25 of the following thread: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/...iving-4057514/
gutthans likes this.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in