Stalled - JeepForum.com
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 08-08-2019, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
diowil

Stalled

Good morning. Two days ago I was driving around 40 miles an hour on a curvy road. My engine stalled and the power steering went out. Thank goodness no semi's were behind me. I called the dealership and took it in. Yesterday they called and said my oil was low and that would cause the engine to stall. I said "While Driving???". He said yes. He said he has had about 30 other people with the same issue. I said then why didn't my oil light come on. He said he couldn't answer that. So let me get this straight. I bought a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in December and the only way for me to know when to change the oil or that my oil is low is when I'm driving at 60 miles an hour and my car stalls resulting in me getting run over by a semi or car. I have read other posts where people are having the same issue. The Jeep goes through oil and no lights come on. What is Jeep going to do about this before someone gets killed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 08-08-2019, 04:37 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diowil View Post
I bought a new 2018 Jeep Renegade in December and the only way for me to know when to change the oil or that my oil is low is when I'm driving at 60 miles an hour and my car stalls resulting in me getting run over by a semi or car.

It is called a dipstick, it will let you know how much oil is in the engine, they have been around since the first engine hit the road.

You lost volume, not pressure and the idiot light on the dash is a pressure sensor. A responsible driver will regularly check the oil and not rely on the idiot light to let them know when it is low. With a 10K mile oil change interval, you cannot go the entire time between changes without checking the oil. The following is directly out of the owners manual.

Quote:
Checking Oil Level To assure proper engine lubrication, the engine oil must be maintained at the correct level. Check the oil level at regular intervals, such as every fuel stop. The best time to check the engine oil level is approximately five minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Do not check oil level before starting the engine after it has sat overnight.Checking engine oil level when the engine is cold will give you an incorrect reading.
thumperjohn151 likes this.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 29 Old 08-08-2019, 05:00 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to hear about your Jeep, but also sorry to inform you that what happened is entirely your fault.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 29 Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM
nick613

How low are we talking here? Does seem a bit odd to me tbh.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 29 Old 08-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What is Jeep going to do about this before someone gets killed.
Jeep includes an owner's manual with every vehicle they sell.
You really should read that manual, it teaches you a lot about your vehicle.
Like how to check the oil.
Jeep is not responsible for your neglect. 7 months without checking your oil is nobody's fault but yours.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
diowil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick613 View Post
How low are we talking here? Does seem a bit odd to me tbh.

I got an oil change at 8,000 miles. It wasn't time for another oil change. That is why I was asking why didn't my oil light come on if it was burning that much oil. I mean who is buying a brand new vehicle and then 13,000 miles your oil is almost gone. Most people wait for the mileage to reach when it is time again OR an oil light should come on right?
post #7 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:19 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most people wait for the mileage to reach when it is time again OR an oil light should come on right?
No.

Check your oil level on the dipstick at least once every few fuel stops; add more oil of the correct type (read your owner's manual) as needed.
post #8 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:30 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

An informed owner who wants to protect their large investment knows to check their oil many times between changes.
To just expect it to go thousands of miles without even bothering to check it is begging for an expensive breakdown. Most of us have at least a couple quarts of oil in our garages at all times for just this sort of thing.
Hell, they even sell oil at supermarkets so you can pick up a quart with your grocery shopping to top off when you need it.

Here's your owner's manual. Read it, paying special attention to section 8:
https://msmownerassets.z13.web.core....egade/9638.pdf

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:37 AM
nick613

A brand new vehicle should go between oil changes without catastrophic oil loss... Most people who buy new vehicles dont even know how to check their oil

post #10 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:41 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
A brand new vehicle should go between oil changes without catastrophic oil loss... Most people who buy new vehicles dont even know how to check their oil
Most people are smart enough to learn how to do that by reading their owner's manual when they buy the vehicle.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #11 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
diowil

Quote:

Thank you. That is what I'm thinking exactly. Yet no one has even mentioned why my oil light never came on if it was that low.
post #12 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 08:52 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

They call it an idiot light for a reason.
That light does NOT measure how much oil is in your engine. It's purpose is not to tell you you're low on oil. It monitors your oil pressure. When your oil pressure drops below a certain point, the warning light comes on. Your oil pressure will not drop that low until the engine is already almost out of oil and you're likely already damaging the engine.

Again, covered in the owner's manual:
Quote:
— Oil Pressure Sensor Failure Warning Light This light will illuminate if there is a failure of the oil pressure sensor. If this light illuminates, take it to an authorized dealer and have them inspect it

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #13 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 09:06 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Thank you. That is what I'm thinking exactly. Yet no one has even mentioned why my oil light never came on if it was that low.

I did in the first reply, the oil light is a pressure light, not a level light. It is most important to check the oil level of a new car regularly so you can learn it's pattern and find out if it does burn a little oil. Once you have checked the oil routinely for the first couple of oil changes then you will get a feel for how often you may have to add oil between oil changes. With what I see as stupid long oil change intervals, you must check the oil, this isn't 20 years ago where you changed the oil every 3000 miles/3 months and burning a little oil wouldn't drop the level enough to make a difference between oil changes.

post #14 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 09:07 AM
nick613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
Most people are smart enough to learn how to do that by reading their owner's manual when they buy the vehicle.
You have way more faith in humanity than I do.

post #15 of 29 Old 08-09-2019, 09:25 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
You have way more faith in humanity than I do.

All of the new nanny controls on new cars have made drivers dumb, along with driving the price of the vehicle up, people are helpless when it comes to doing the simplest things with their cars. Maybe we should bring back full service stations only and an attendant will check the oil for you, of course that would drive fuel prices up even further.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in