Poor Mans Diff Skid - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-17-2008, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
mud-dog27

Poor Mans Diff Skid

ok i know some will say this is useless but for the jeeper on a budget where something is better than nothing this will be a project for you its not my idea(i stole it from i guy who came into my shop at one point) but ive never seen it on any forum so i figured it toss it out there

The Poor Mans Diff Skid

needed supplies
*1 stock diff cover(dana 30 in this case) $20 at JY
*5 nuts for spacers
*5 longer bolts(havent got specs on them yet)
Tools
*band saw
*plasma cutter
*grinder or file
*welder
*drill
Note if ya dont have these im sure it could be done with other numourous cutting tools these are just what i had access to

so you take the band saw and cut it just above the fill plug(5" front bottom of cover) then remove a U around the plug bung(i used plasma for that)

as you can see its fairly thick

then to space it out from the diff itself weld the nuts to your skid and bore out the threads with drill and slap a coat of rustoleum on there and its ready to go

i will try to post up some pictures ASAP of it mounted but theres -13*C winds outside and i draw the line at -5 for workin so i will head to the hardware store tomorrow and get those 5 longer bolts so i can post up thread pitch and such

and yes i know this is not as good as a HD skid or cover but its also no where near as exspensive and its meant for the guy on a budget who needs a small project

89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Jzilla
1984 CJ7 

Nice post man i'd have never though of that in a million years and i have come up with some pretty wild stuff before..
post #3 of 7 Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
mud-dog27

thanks, and ill try to get pics up of it mounted ASAP as soon as it gets above 0*c damn cold front were gettin hit with is rediculous combined with no garage equals frozen hands that dont work right

89 wagoneer LTD. , 32x11.5R15 wild country RVT, 15x8 AR baja rims , surco safari roofrack w/spare tire kit , cobra 19 DXIII w/ high gear mic. 4' whip on a 3" heavy-duty spring , 4.5" rough country full leaf pack lift kit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 01-11-2009, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
mud-dog27

ok i know its a little delayed but this has been by far one of the weirdest winters we've had here in a long time and its been down right miserable cold wet and windy but today was sorta nice so i figured id get this thing together and heres what the finished product looked like

bolts- 5/16x1 1 1/4" w/ flat and lock washers

overall im happy with it and it sits maybe a 1/4" away from the actual diff cover and like i said earlier i know its no comparison to a HD cover but its not ment to be as i dont see the need in spending that kind of money on a diff i can replace for the same cost this was built for the guy with a budget in mind and it will serve its purpose

post #5 of 7 Old 01-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Jzilla
1984 CJ7 

looks good man, i hate that your having all that bad weather, i think it was in the high 40,s here in louisiana today and thats chilly to me, i have a lot of work to do on mine, i broke a motor mount and every time the engine torques it knocks a hole in the oil filter, and i thought i would wait til it warmed up a bit to work on it, but i guess you would be working on yours if you were here in a short sleeve shirt propally. im gona try to find another front cover and follow your guide line on this thread thanks for the info.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-11-2009, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
mud-dog27

40*F is about 8*C which is a little warmer than what were gettin but id take it its just this stupid amounts of rain we gettin the biggest dump of snow in a long time followed by monsoon weather im just glad i dont live farther up the valley from me where the rivers are breakin their banks and everyones under water should be interesting went i get a chance to hit the trails or whats left of them or the roads into em i can only begin to imagine how messed up the back roads are gunna be after this winter we got hit with atleast i wont have to worry bout bangin my front diff up now

post #7 of 7 Old 01-13-2009, 09:29 AM
visa
1994 YJ Wrangler 

that looks good! i did some thing simalur to that on mine using using another cover. not as strong as the $$$ covers but still hold up well to rocks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in