P0340 Cam Sensor - '00 WJ 4.0 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
salimoneus

P0340 Cam Sensor - '00 WJ 4.0

Just bought this thing with 140k a few weeks ago, was running great until a week or so ago. Started stalling at stoplights, then started stalling randomly. Only code was P0340 Camshaft Sensor. Then it died in the driveway, cranked but no start.

-Checked battery
-Checked fuel pump/pressure
-Swapped Cam Sensor
-Checked Cam position sensor (geared shaft that sits below the Cam Sensor)
-Swapped Crank Sensor
-Swapped Ignition Coil pack

After all those thing, it behaves a little differently. Now it cranks for a bit, seems like it wants to start, but dies immediately with a bit of a jolt/clank.

Earlier when it was running but stalling, I tried shifting around cables near the PCM to try to get it to stall, but was unable to. Thinking it may still be a PCM or wiring issue?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Rusty's 2" BB
-Durango4x4 bumpers
-Stealth "cubbyhole" subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-25-2019, 11:27 AM
RedBolide

You might want to double check your installation on the cam sensor. There's a specific way to gap it so it reads correctly. If it's not gapped, it will not run right. Someone else here probably has more information on it. I've never encountered it personally, but I've heard about that issue.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
salimoneus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBolide View Post
You might want to double check your installation on the cam sensor. There's a specific way to gap it so it reads correctly. If it's not gapped, it will not run right. Someone else here probably has more information on it. I've never encountered it personally, but I've heard about that issue.

Thanks for the tip. I think you might be referring to the camshaft synchronizer, which is the part with the gear grooves on the shaft which mates to the end of the camshaft. I simply removed that and inspected to make sure it was fully intact, and replaced exactly as it was before.

The cam sensor is just the plastic cap that plugs in with the electronics that senses what the synchronizer is doing. I swapped that part out for a different once since it is known to go bad, but that did not help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Rusty's 2" BB
-Durango4x4 bumpers

post #4 of 6 Old 12-26-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
salimoneus

So I swapped out the PCM with another unit re-programmed, and the jeep is still cranking with no start. It seems like I've hit just about every common failure part but still no luck. I dread going into the auto shop but I don't know what else to look at here.

-Rusty's 2" BB
-Durango4x4 bumpers
post #5 of 6 Old 01-27-2020, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
salimoneus

Ended up being both a bad cam sensor and a dying crank sensor. Apparently the parts I swapped in for those two were also bad, and those were the first parts I swapped. /bonk

-Rusty's 2" BB
-Durango4x4 bumpers
post #6 of 6 Old 02-27-2020, 03:33 AM
Kcooks12

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Haha! Hate those deals... I have a box of old "new ish" jeep parts and wonder if keeping them around is more harm than good. Glad to hear she's all better.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in