NP-229 Transfer Case, Slips into Nuetral - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-17-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
skylarxj106
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
NP-229 Transfer Case, Slips into Nuetral

-I'll keep it as short as possible and provide further details.

-Np-229 transfer case on a 1983 wagoneer is slipping in between 4wd and 2wd. While driving it falls out and i can hear a grinding noise in park and reverse. to get it back into gear I have to stick transmission into neutral, crawl under my jeep, disconnect the 4wd-2wd linkage, then I need to push the linkage towards the transfercase while kicking the jeep backward with my foot against the tire to reengage the axle. At this point I leave the linkage disengaged because it inevitably falls out again less than a mile down the road, rinse and repeat and limp back home.

-I modified the linkage so that it is so long that it can not move from any position other than two wheel drive. It still falls out and i have to do again what was described above, pull it off and move the jeep while pressing the linkage back in. This seems to reengage for a while.

-I drained about 1/2 quart of fluid out of the T-case and refilled it with 3 quarts... It was at this point that the T-case worked consistently for 30-40 miles without going out, usually went out every mile. Then while on a highway it cut out on me again... I thought filling it up fixed it! Anyways, I can still pop it back in by performing the same task, crawl under, transmission in neutral, disconnect linkage, press towards transfer case and kick the jeep backward while under it!

-So, limped back home now, sitting in the driveway, there is a small leak from the t-case....But it is small, i mean maybe a drop or two every hour and i filled it up less than a week ago. I am ready to fill it up again and try fixing wherever the leak is coming from but I can't crawl under it on the side of the highway again(steep banks/hills and no shoulders).

Could low fluid cause my T-case to slip into neutral?
Could the linkage not being properly aligned cause it to slip out even when already in gear? I assume there is some sort of mechanism to keep it in gear besides the linkage.

I abandoned the vacuum motor a long time ago and just stuck it in 2wd, the car is a summer only town car, I don't require 4wd nor will it be hitting any trails, not my daily driver but it used to be for 3 years.

At this point I am going to try to fix the leak but any advice input would be really helpful, if fixing the leak doesn't work I'm going to drop the t-case out and try to open it up and investigate, any input as to what could be causing this would be extremely helpful. No$$$ for new T-case, I know this is the popular go-to with drivetrain problems but If there is a simple fix I want to try anything.

Thanks for your time reading this, this has already been submitted on the IFSJ forums as well but I'm looking for help wherever i can find it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-17-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
skylarxj106
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
Even some passing knowledge on how T-cases work would be helpful, I'm know enough to get by on engines but Drivetrains are a whole new arena to me.

thanks,

-
post #3 of 4 Old 07-17-2017, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
skylarxj106
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
well, I put my wheels up onto blocks, transmission in neutral. Operated the linkage, manually operates well, switches between 4wd and 2wd, I can recreate the "neutral" condition where it sounds like the gears are trying to mesh. I'm thinking this is simply a linkage issue and not something more serious.

I am going to try stick it into 2wd right now, although i have tried before and that did not work :/

Will eventually be buying a twin stick shifter mechanism instead of replacing the vacuum motor, I think it will work much better.

I'll keep posted if I fix it for future reference

-

post #4 of 4 Old 07-18-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
skylarxj106
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

Garage
So, "Chevelleguy" over at the IFSJ forums suggested that I probably have worn out mode fork pads. This is most likely, I will try to F*** with the linkage a bit more but it's looking like this will be what I have to do. probably will simply be pulling the old one out and replacing the $10 forks instead of buying a new T-case. I will post pictures/updates for anyone in the future

-

Tags
transfer case , transfer case leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in