New Engine Advice - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 02-10-2020, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

New Engine Advice

My '07 Wrangler JK (203,500) engine is finally failing. I now need to determine which way to go: new, used or rebuilt. I need to know where to find a new engine dealer. I also need to know a place that sells re-manufactured engines. This is my first time doing this, so I am looking reputable sources.

I dont want to get rid of this Jeep. 12 years single owner, she has been good to us.

Any advice/direction would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 03:24 AM
Kcooks12

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Where are you located? I know some decent engine shops in Colorado near the Denver area. Superior Engines has a 6 year 60k mile warranty on their rebuilds. They also have used motors here and there. Junk yard motors like LKQ or Central Auto Parts are hit or miss and a bit of a gamble. I would not personally buy an online or catalog motor but that's my preference based on horror stories. If you plan on keeping it find a reputable mechanic who will pull your motor, ship it or transport yourself to the engine shop, then back to mechanic to put it in. Or skip the mechanic and do it yourself if you can to save some money 😃.

You never mentioned.... what's wrong with your motor?
post #3 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 06:42 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Skill level?
What is issue ? compression, seized crank/rod, valves?

1) have tools, work space and experience - then use a local machine shop and DIY

2) No time, no shop to use or experience then - 'jasper' and use their suggested installer

https://www.jasperengines.com/

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 07:06 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I second Jasper. They're nationwide, stand behind their products and are OEM quality remanufactured parts. Every dealership I worked at for the last 20 years has used them.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 AM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentjones1 View Post
My '07 Wrangler JK (203,500) engine is finally failing. I now need to determine which way to go: new, used or rebuilt.
First question, what is "failing"?

As for replacement, I always try to use a local machine shop. They can interact with you over the course of the machining/rebuilding process. You also have a face to go to if there are issues with the engine. It is a longer and usually more expensive route, but a good reputable shop the lives and dies on it's reputation will usually give a better product.

This route usually entails you pulling/installing the engine at a minimum. The more you can do as far as disassembly/assembly the more money you can save. If you are unable to R&R the engine or looking for a turn key experience, then you will need to go to a reputable automotive/offroad shop and work through them.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #6 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcooks12 View Post
Where are you located? I know some decent engine shops in Colorado near the Denver area. Superior Engines has a 6 year 60k mile warranty on their rebuilds. They also have used motors here and there. Junk yard motors like LKQ or Central Auto Parts are hit or miss and a bit of a gamble. I would not personally buy an online or catalog motor but that's my preference based on horror stories. If you plan on keeping it find a reputable mechanic who will pull your motor, ship it or transport yourself to the engine shop, then back to mechanic to put it in. Or skip the mechanic and do it yourself if you can to save some money 😃.

You never mentioned.... what's wrong with your motor?

I am in California. My compression on 2 cylinders is 60, 2 at 65 and 2 at 70. The compression test was done by the dealer. They advised a new engine. They recommended that even knowing that they wouldn't be doing any of the work. So they didnt stand to make any money. The head technician said that when they see compression values this low, they will begin to get misfires codes and it tends to go downhill from there. The Jeep has 205,000 miles it
post #7 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
Skill level?
What is issue ? compression, seized crank/rod, valves?

1) have tools, work space and experience - then use a local machine shop and DIY

2) No time, no shop to use or experience then - 'jasper' and use their suggested installer

https://www.jasperengines.com/

Jasper is great. I have one in my landcruiser.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdaddy2000 View Post
First question, what is "failing"?

As for replacement, I always try to use a local machine shop. They can interact with you over the course of the machining/rebuilding process. You also have a face to go to if there are issues with the engine. It is a longer and usually more expensive route, but a good reputable shop the lives and dies on it's reputation will usually give a better product.

This route usually entails you pulling/installing the engine at a minimum. The more you can do as far as disassembly/assembly the more money you can save. If you are unable to R&R the engine or looking for a turn key experience, then you will need to go to a reputable automotive/offroad shop and work through them.

My engine is just tired. My compression on 2 cylinders is 60, 2 at 65 and 2 at 70. The compression test was done by the dealer. They advised a new engine. They recommended that even knowing that they wouldn't be doing any of the work. So they didnt stand to make any money. The head technician said that when they see compression values this low, they will begin to get misfires codes and it tends to go downhill from there. The Jeep has 205,000 miles it
post #9 of 16 Old 02-27-2020, 10:47 PM
jeepdaddy2000

1971 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentjones1 View Post
My engine is just tired. My compression on 2 cylinders is 60, 2 at 65 and 2 at 70. The compression test was done by the dealer. They advised a new engine. They recommended that even knowing that they wouldn't be doing any of the work. So they didnt stand to make any money. The head technician said that when they see compression values this low, they will begin to get misfires codes and it tends to go downhill from there. The Jeep has 205,000 miles it
Those numbers seem incredibly low to me. I would redo the test myself and insure I got both a wet and dry reading.

Not saying the engine isn't tired, but I would recheck that info before dropping 2 plus G's into a new engine.

Paperwork will ruin any military force.
Chesty Puller
post #10 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 04:01 AM
Kcooks12

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Agree those are very low numbers. Probably 160 - 170? I would redo myself or get a second opinion. If you're not having poor performance, engine codes, getting smoke from the exhaust, fuel in the oil, or coolant and oil mixing I wouldn't worry about it.
post #11 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 07:29 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree some more testing, what is leaking compression would be helpful, a simple test would answer that, Valves, rings, gasket, unlikely pistons.

Compression leak down test. compressed air feed into cylinder and determine where air escapes...

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #12 of 16 Old 02-28-2020, 11:43 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I thought this sounded familiar...
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/...ion-s-4385611/

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #13 of 16 Old 02-29-2020, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Performance issues:
Compression test low readings (already mentioned); I will be taking it to another mechanic for another test.
Smoke from exhaust varies between white and black
Gas mileage has been cut in half
Various error codes (O2 sensors bad when brand new; misfires)
Loss of power when going up gradual inclines
Complete loss of power for maybe1 to 2 seconds before re-engaging (RPM gage will drop to zero before shooting back up to 2500 RPMs; this is new)
Speedometer is giving inaccurate reading (says I am going 40 on the freeway when I know I am going around 60)

I can wrench on alot of things on my Jeep, but rebuilding an engine is not one of them.
post #14 of 16 Old 02-29-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Yep, since last posting on the other thread, it has progressively gotten worse.
post #15 of 16 Old 02-29-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
vincentjones1

Luckily, no other fluids are mixing with the oil. I am thinking one of the reason it could be smoking is the rings are going bad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in