Is my clutch going out? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Andielarae

2012 JK Wrangler 

Is my clutch going out?

I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with a manual trans. When I push on my clutch it’s now making a very loud metal on metal sound. I also hear a whining sound. My Jeep has no difficulty going into gears. It’s also making a weird sound (can’t really describe) after I start my engine after it’s been sitting a while. The sound goes away after I get going down the road. Is this just my clutch? I took video of the sounds, but I can’t figure out how to post it? #Jeepgirlneedshelp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-23-2019, 10:36 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like the throw out bearing may be bad, which is part of the clutch slave cylinder.
This can go bad while the clutch itself might still be good, but if you need to replace it you might as well just do the whole clutch job while it's all apart.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 10 Old 10-24-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Andielarae

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice Kruzin! I've added a 2.5" lift with 35's. Do I need to upgrade my clutch? Which clutch do you recommend?

post #4 of 10 Old 10-24-2019, 04:57 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andielarae View Post
Thanks for the advice Kruzin! I've added a 2.5" lift with 35's. Do I need to upgrade my clutch? Which clutch do you recommend?
What kind of driving will you do? Is it a highway Jeep? Are you going offroad and you're on and off of the clutch a lot? What was 'wrong' with the one you've been using?

First, don't buy a bargain, no name unit.
Second, don't buy the most expensive 'race clutch' you can find.

AMS, Sachs, Luk, and CenterForce all come to mind as possibles. I'd go with a retail Sachs or Luk (same people basically) as AMS is spotty on QC and CenterForce is overkill, IMO. Get the premium offering that will carry all the needed parts for a complete job. Equal or exceeds OEM specs.

But, ask around...local jobbers may have the best input on what they use that's reliable and doesn't cause warranty issues.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 09:10 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andielarae View Post
I have a 2012 JKU Rubicon with a manual trans. When I push on my clutch itís now making a very loud metal on metal sound. I also hear a whining sound. My Jeep has no difficulty going into gears. Itís also making a weird sound (canít really describe) after I start my engine after itís been sitting a while. The sound goes away after I get going down the road. Is this just my clutch? I took video of the sounds, but I canít figure out how to post it? #Jeepgirlneedshelp
Hi Andielarae,
We're sorry to hear about your recent concerns. I understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for guidance. However, should you decide to visit your dealer, we would be happy to add a layer of assistance to this process. Our team is available via PM if needed.
Alex
Jeep Cares
post #6 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Andielarae

2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi Gutthans! Thanks for the help! I use my jeep as my day to day driver, which is a lot of highway/rush hour, so I'm definitely on/off my clutch a lot. I do take it off road, but no a lot and nothing hardcore (although I'd really love to). For a little while I've been hearing a slight whining sound when I pushed in on my clutch, but a couple days ago it started making a really LOUD screeching sound (almost metal on metal sound). It goes into gears with no problem. I just looked up how much a new clutch kit is and ..... WOW are they expensive!! If I can't afford to fix this right away, is it really bad to keep driving with it making that noise or do I need to park it right now? Any chance it is not my whole clutch and maybe just a cheaper part of it lol? Here is the youtube link to the video I took of the sounds it's making!
post #7 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Andielarae

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Alex! What exactly do you guys do to help?
post #8 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 12:33 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

As I mentioned before, the problem is likely the throw-out bearing. They are pretty cheap by themselves as a part and are a part of a full clutch job.
The problem is the labor it takes to change that throw-out bearing. It takes almost as much labor as a full clutch job. Either way, the drive shafts, transfer case and transmission all need to come off. With the high cost of labor (many hundreds of dollars in this case), it doesn't make much sense to do just the bearing then have to take it all apart again in a few months when the clutch goes bad.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #9 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 01:43 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzin View Post
As I mentioned before, the problem is likely the throw-out bearing. ... it doesn't make much sense to do just the bearing then have to take it all apart again in a few months when the clutch goes bad.
Sure sounds like a 'dry', failing release bearing.

You can drive until it seizes, at which time, one or several things will go wrong. It could come apart, or melt. Either will be unpleasant for you, AND the associated parts.

Proper diagnosis will require disassembly...the longer you wait...the more expensive it will likely become. Labor WILL cost as much as parts, unless it wrecks the input shaft when it comes apart... FIND SOMEONE to either do it, or help you do it SOON.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Andielarae

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Kruzin & Gutthans! Sounds like I need to replace the whole clutch ASAP, bc I definitely don't want to be flintstoning it to work!! You're right, it doesn't make sense to do ALL that labor twice within a few months time!! I appreciate all the help!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in