Metal Debris in Oil Filter - 2012 3.6L - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 08-07-2019, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
RSchultz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Metal Debris in Oil Filter - 2012 3.6L

Bought my 2012 Rubicon used two years ago w/32,000 miles. Changed the oil today, now 42,000 miles. I had a clean paper towel under the filter element when I pulled it out and I was about to throw it in the trash when I noticed a piece of metal on the towel. Pic is attached. This is a thin "shaving", perhaps about 3/8 to 1/2 inch long if it was straightened out. approximately 1/16 inch wide. Looked to be one piece but now two as I was taking it out of a baggie to take the photo. I saved the old filter. I bought a good 3 yr warranty so that is still in place for another year. I took the shrapnel and filter to the Ford service folks where I got the vehicle.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5267.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2019, 11:58 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

If stuff that big is coming from inside your engine, I would say it needs to be investigated further. No strange sounds?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
RSchultz
2012 JK Wrangler 

I haven't noticed anything unusual. Taking the frags and filter to a Jeep shop this AM. (80+ miles to nearest dealer).

post #4 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 08:39 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
dealer i would bet wont do much. you could send your oil to be analyzed. about the only way to check with no codes or obvious issues and not do total break down inspection.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
RSchultz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Jeep Shop (Hunter Dodge, Lancaster CA) looked at the pieces and didn't offer any useful advice. Tech said to look at the oil, which I saved) to see if it "glints" w/metal. I haven't done that yet, but I did just cut off the filter element medium from the end caps and took a look at it. Lots of metal bits, smaller that the pieces that originally dropped out but clearly metal. Given that there is metal in the filter, would the oil analysis offer anything? Any recommendations for who might perform an analysis? Thanks.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 05:56 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Blackstone is one of the better known ones. Yes they can tell a lot about how well the bearings are and other issues of contamination.Be it metals or about anything.
Yea the dealers do not want to do anything nothing new there. bet they would sell you a new jeep or even replace the 3.6 on your dime.

But like said by the other poster. That is a lot of metal, something let loose for sure. what it is going to hard tell until you know what type of metals are present. Looking at that i would guess a bearing(Babbitt type). But you say its runs and sound normal? No ticks, thumps? No codes?< yet. Does it use oil? no performance lose?

10k is a lot to run oil in these since it runs so HOT. Heat kills oil makes it break down much faster. I change the oil on our 3k but then again that about as many miles if that it sees a year so its every year. But i use our jeep off road 95% and street 5%. its in the garage waiting to wheel other wise and the garage is climate controlled as well.

post #7 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
RSchultz
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply. I change at 5k. When I made the first 5K I was set to change the oil but I couldn't get the oil plug out - really stuck. Instead of ruining the bolt, I took it to the dealer (Ford) where I bought it. The little sticker in the window gave the mileage for the next oil change (5K) when I bought it - so I assume they changed the oil - and put the plug in so tight. Well, they couldn't get it out either so they had to replace the oil pan. This change at 42K is the first time that I changed the oil.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
This just showed up on this change then. Ever over heat it? over rev it? just think out. still would send a sample to Black stone see what they think whats is it to day 30$? you will have to look it up . hard to believe that kinda shaving and no knocking or running rough . lets us know what you find out as you are like first i have heard of like this here since i have been here.

3.6 have issue but not rods and such failing that i have heard of. heads Oh yea well known to fail. mine lost one at 20k. they fixed it but left a bad taste. If not that this jeep is a off road toy i would have sold it after the head issue. Now i plane to go LS when this 3.6 goes south. or maybe it will make until im done wheeling it or destroy it wheeling it will be one or the other in the end. If i end it wheeling im going Buggy next time. I have had a jeep since 1975 this will be the last jeep, would rather have Buggy really. all my rowdy friends do. hard to keep up with them boys. my jeeps yellow and its the "short bus" of the group i wheel with for sure anymore. i tow anyway so why not have a buggy

post #9 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 PM
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSchultz View Post
Thanks for the reply. I change at 5k. When I made the first 5K I was set to change the oil but I couldn't get the oil plug out - really stuck. Instead of ruining the bolt, I took it to the dealer (Ford) where I bought it. The little sticker in the window gave the mileage for the next oil change (5K) when I bought it - so I assume they changed the oil - and put the plug in so tight. Well, they couldn't get it out either so they had to replace the oil pan. This change at 42K is the first time that I changed the oil.
Couldn't remove the plug so had to replace the oil pan? Who paid for the pan and who serviced it last? I've come across oil plugs tightened really tight also. If folks can't judge how tight to make them, they should use a torque wrench. FSM or owner manuals list the proper torque.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-13-2019, 10:17 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I have had shops over tighten things more then a few times dont surprise me at all. generally i do it but i had the wifes Excursion 7.3 done at a shop. well when i did it this last time that oil pan bolt was on there. i had to use like 3' feet of leverage to break that thing loose. Then i get to the filter and these are big filters, same thing. had to put a 3' pip on my oil wrench. It crushed the dang filter by the time it started to budge. never will they see me again they lost a customer for sure. I bet they could hear me cussing them out from my place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in