Low power and stall issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Seanwilder99

Low power and stall issue

So my 99 tj with a 2.5 5 speed has been acting up. It started cutting out really bad like the crankshaft position sensor was going bad. No codes tho, I replaced it. Stoped the cutting out. Problem solved right? Well not really. See, ever since I bought it if you lug the motor even slightly it’ll cut out until it gets to the right rpm. I’ve never seen one do this and I’m not sure what to check that would cause it. That problem still goes on. My jeep has also gotten a noticeable power loss since I replaced the sensor. I had to use a Standard ignition sensor since I was headed home from the beach and it was all I could get at such short notice. There’s still no check engine light. Could it be I just need the Mopar sensor? I know these keeps are super picky about what will and won’t work when it comes to sensors. Possible fuel pump? I’m really not sure. If anyone has a idea please let me know.
Thanks, Sean.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Seanwilder99

Or could this also be a bad throttle position sensor?? What do you all think?
post #3 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 09:19 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanwilder99 View Post
Or could this also be a bad throttle position sensor?? What do you all think?
Test it and find out.
Attached Images

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 7 Old 07-13-2019, 09:30 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Likewise, if you think your fuel pump may be going out, hook up a pressure gauge and check to see if it's within spec or not. Your pump should provide within 5psi of 49psi at the fuel rail when running.

How do your plugs look? Are they gapped correctly?
Have you tried resetting the Jeep's adaptive memory?
Connect a vacuum gauge to the intake manifold and see if anything seems amiss. Observe the vacuum reading as you slowly increase rpms to see if it drops and holds toward zero, indicating a blocked exhaust.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 7 Old 07-18-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Seanwilder99

So the fuel pressure is good if I remember it was around 40-43. I’ve reset the computer. I’ve ran my diagnostic tool on it and got nothing then I tried the on board diagnostic and got nothing. I don’t understand. Also I noticed if I’m idling and press the gas it’ll stutter when the Rpms come back down but then clear up and be fine. Bad ignition coil? Bad distributor pick up coil? I’m running out of ideas? Or just the fact I didn’t get a mopar crank sensor
post #6 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Mmorris88

Have you figured out the problem? I'm running into pretty much the same thing with my 2000 grand Cherokee limited
post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Seanwilder99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmorris88 View Post
Have you figured out the problem? I'm running into pretty much the same thing with my 2000 grand Cherokee limited
I wish. It seems to have settled down a bit, but still unsure. If you find out anything, let me know.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in