lifter noise? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 10-11-2021, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
shebacat

lifter noise?

Hi there; I have a 2007 jeep liberty with a 3.7lt. with 214,000 kms. I noticed what sounded like a lifter noise coming from the left bank. This lifter noise is only present at idle warmed up, as soon as I increase RPM the noise goes away. My first thought was a bad lifter, so I replaced all lifters on that bank and no change. I then talked to a local machine shop and was told it could be a loose valve seat, which they said was quite common for this engine. I then replaced both heads for new casting units and still no change. Now they are saying it could be a bad piston. I tried to narrow down which cylinder by disconnecting the spark plug coils one at a time and listening with a piece of hose. It was very hard to determine which cylinder, cause it sounds like the whole left bank. Listening right at the top of the exhaust manifold. Any thoughts of where I should go from here cause the parts are already killing me. Thanks for any help. Shebacat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-11-2021, 03:04 PM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

You suspect a ticking lifter lets start with a detergent to clean any sludge varnish from passages -
1 bottle "RISOLONE" a oil detergent.
Check oil pressure with a mechanical gauge. Will let us know if a pressure problem.
Tell us What oil brand, weight, and change interval?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-14-2021, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
shebacat

Hi jtec; sorry for the confusion I'm new at posting. OK ,I added a bottle of Risolone and took it for a short drive. The engine sounds a little quieter but warmed up and idling there is this ticking noise [lifter?]. I'm currently using Quaker state conventional 5/30. Changes every 3 months or 5000Kms. Performed live oil pressure test 80psi at idle cold 1300 rpm. and 90 psi cold at 2000 rpm.. warmed up 75psi at 800rpm and 80 psi at 1000 rpm and 90 psi at 2000 rpm. I checked the engine noise again and it sounds more of a rattle cold and speeds up with rpm. I can actually hear it while driving.. When warmed up, the noise turns into something that sounds like a lifter noise at idle and yes it speeds up with rpm.. Checked with the hose and the ticking noise is loudest at the left head and the center of the timing cover. Interestingly enough when I replaced the heads I looked at the tensioners and noticed the right tensioner plunger was out about 1/4" and the left tensioner plunger was about 3/8". Also when I tried to put the grenade pin in, the right one took about 3 tries and the left one took about a dozen tries before it finally compressed enough to put the pin in.. I also noticed the right tensioner did not have the restrictor plate while the left one did. I didn't replace the timing chain set because the guides didn't show a lot of wear. Now, when I shut it off I can hear a slight quick rattle coming from the timing cover. Could I have a bad tensioner?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in