Jeep XJ 4.0 tire dragging, skipping, noise from T-case or Auto gearbox. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 03-31-2018, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
l000p

Jeep XJ 4.0 tire dragging, skipping, noise from T-case or Auto gearbox.

Hello fellas, recently I've got myself a great banger a Jeep Cherokee XJ 4.0 1998 limited with Select track transmission * I believe I have 2H, 4H Part Time, 4H Full TIme, 4L*. Everything is great it is equipped with all the possible features and I got it pretty low, just 500 pounds and it's in a red color which is just better. It has 81k miles on the clock, stamped until 60k. On the day I've got it I checked the gearing, transfercase wise, switched between all of them no prob, but on 2H a whining sound appeared from the T-case, that is what I assumed then, which I guessed that might be a stretched chain in the T-case, because after switching back to 4H Full Time the noise disappeared. On that day I towed a Huinday Santa Fe 2005 with it 100 miles with a A-bar no prob, safe 50 miles/h. Then I had to let the Jeep rest for a month with no driving. Yesterday I've changed the engine oil, filter, air filter, differential oils and resealed, T-case oil and waiting on parts for the auto gear box filter. The oil in the T-case was clear, no metal shavings on the probe, the oils in the diffs was a lil thick, but OK, the diffs seemingly were in a grate shape no metal shavings on both *rear one had no magnet*. So I went on a drive and tested the gearing again, the problem appeared again, this time not only in 2H but continued after switching to 4H etc. The whine is harsh, *sound like a turbine but a lot louder* but no metal sounds, I can not describe it, it's not like anything I've heard, It's coming from the drive train T-case or gearbox, I can not tell. The other thing is that when the whining appears, and only then, when I try to make a full lock turn the vehicle starts to skips it's tires or drag them, bide on the pavement on either 2H or 4H, which is interesting. The whining continues even if the vehicle is moving but T-case is in Neutral and box is in Neutral as well, which is even more interesting. It's more prone and clear when the vehicle is at slow speed 10 m/ph or when I'm slowing down to that speed from 20 m/ph down to 0. No whine on revving either on Drive with brake applied, Neutral or Park. The more interesting part thou' is that if I shut off the car at 2H or 4H and let it sit for a while the whining disappears until I switch the gearing again. The other thing I''ve done is to check the T-case lever linkage and readjust, the linkage is not bend and in good condition. The oil in the gearbox is to the correct level as well. My skills are until here and I really want some advices or guesses on what the problem might be. Please more experienced mechanics then me, which are plenty in the forum, give me a hand or a tip that I can follow.
There is a stamp on the T-case with a model number 242.

Thank you for your time and patience.
All best, l000p !

Tags
cherokee , jeep , transfercase , transmission , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in