JEEP PROJECT: Fuel setup - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-09-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Wranglerwild098

JEEP PROJECT: Fuel setup

Hey All!

So, I have built a Jeep over the past 2 years... unfortunately I had to take about 8 month break (health). I recently looked into my fuel setup and was wondering if someone can explain it to me.

Chevy 350 ... I have the original Jeep TJ gas tank (2001). I was told I can use this, but I need to replace the pump with a hose? I'm confused on this... my engine has all stock parts from '78 camaro (everything rebuilt) so it has a mechanical pump.

I've searched this on this website and others... Can someone help me with this?

should I block the mechanical pump... and just install an external - fuel filter - reg- carb? I was told to stick with the mechanical pump because they are more durable and easy to replace if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-09-2019, 12:46 PM
fxrsliberty

The fuel pump in the tank will over power the float bowl style carb unless you build a return loop. The Jeep should have the lines already. If you stay with the mechanical pump, your tracking the tank down and finding a way to remove the fuel pump and add a pickup strainer.
Leaving the TJ pump and plumbing the lines is easier.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2019, 11:58 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
The fuel pump in the tank will over power the float bowl style carb unless you build a return loop.
You need to regulate the pressure down also. Keep the oe pump IF it has enough output to feed the V8 and get a bypass regulator. Then you won't have to worry about vapor lock.
https://www.holley.com/blog/post/sel..._for_your_car/

post #4 of 4 Old 03-11-2019, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
Wranglerwild098

Alright thanks for the advice. Right now the body is off I’m finishing up lines/suspension.

I’ll just remove the mechanical pump and block it. I’ll try to run the original Jeep pump... I was told on another forum I’ll have to install an external pump to the regulator to the carb.

But I have somewhere to start so I appreciate the info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in