Jeep Comanche 4.0 Ticking Noise - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
brocksta09
1990 MJ Comanche 

Jeep Comanche 4.0 Ticking Noise

Hello to all fellow Jeep enthusiasts,

New member here needing some advising on my ticking 4.0!!

First off, I like to consider myself pretty sufficient with engine diagnostics as I have many years experience working as a Motorcycle Technician. I constantly keep all my machines maintained properly and I am a "worry wort" about keeping them running at 100%. In other words, this ticking is driving me up the wall! I typically do all of my own repairs, with that being said: Here is the issue I am having with the ole' Comanche.

I have a ticking noise that can only be heard once engine is warm. No sounds at all during a cold start, not even a sound after startup while engine is still slightly warm after sitting for a slight amount of time. The abnormal sound cannot be heard while the engine is at idle, whether hot or cold. The ticking starts just above idle when the engine is warm. The ticking increases as RPM's increase. The sound is pretty noisy, can constantly be heard while driving, even at 60 mph. With my mechanical background with Atv's, Motorcycle's, PWC's it sounds like a very loose valve clearance. Which leads me to believe lifter, pushrod, or an rocker arm problem (or a combo of the three) There has not been any power loss nor drivability issues.

Now, the specs:
1990 Jeep Comanche Pioneer 4x4
I6 4.0 Renix
Auto Trans
Roughly 150,000 miles

A couple weeks ago, I replaced the Rear Main Seal due to its leaking. (ticking started before this) I inspected oil pan for and debris, found nothing out the ordinary. No metal, gophers, or anything that would raise concern. I peeked at the bottom of pistons, cam lobes, oil screen and from visual inspection, very minimal wear was observed. I checked the oil pressure, around 40psi at cold startup, roughly 18psi at idle after warmup, a tad below from what I read is normal.

I am just curious to see if anyone has any insight on this issue, or ran into this issue themselves. Any information will receive a great deal of appreciation!!

Keep on Jeepin'

Brock

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 12:57 PM
jokerchief462

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Most likely valve train slowly wearing. The Jeep 4 and 6 bangers are notorious for valve train rattle as they age. You can pull the valve cover and try to isolate to a certain cylinder and relace the rocker and pushrod in hopes of it going away but usually there is also wear on the valve stem where the rocker pushes. But in the meantime regular oil/filter changes with a good oil and weight for your driving area. Or it could be the start of the timing chain stretching and rattling on the cover plate. The rubber snubber in the case is know to deteriorate also with ager and lets the chain slap the cover. Best I got.

89YJ 2.5L TBI, AX-5, NP231 SYE, Ford 8.8, Yukon Grizzly, Tom Woods Shaft, 33" BFG T/As, 4" lift, Warn VR10000s.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
post #3 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 03:51 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

What brand of oil filter are you using?

Possible loosening torque converter to flexplate bolts.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/how...ocking-125547/

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
brocksta09
1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Or it could be the start of the timing chain stretching and rattling on the cover plate. The rubber snubber in the case is know to deteriorate also with ager and lets the chain slap the cover. Best I got.
Are the tensioners on these engines hydraulic or mechanical? Or do they not adjust, or stay staionary to mainting proper tension on a non-strectched chain?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocksta09 View Post
Are the tensioners on these engines hydraulic or mechanical? Or do they not adjust, or stay staionary to mainting proper tension on a non-strectched chain?
Stationary rubber inside the cover. What brand of oil filter are you using?

post #6 of 8 Old 01-12-2013, 09:09 PM
jeepdj5
1982 FSJ Cherokee 

Oil filter

Sent from my fsj Cherokee chief using JeepForum
post #7 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
brocksta09
1990 MJ Comanche 

Sorry for the slow reply guys, I have been very busy! I'm running a valvoline filter, due to my brother being a Sales Rep and they are free. I just pulled the valve cover to take a peek, nothing looks out of the ordinary but, I'm going to remove the rocker arms and push rods to inspect them along with valve tips, springs, etc to see what I can find. If everything checks out, I'm going to try a little thicker oil to see what happens. I did notice one thing the other day: I left the jeep idling with the electric fan running for about 30 minutes after driving long enough for the "ticking" to start. It was very cold outside and sleeting. I jumped back in and took it for a spin, the ticking subsided for a short period. Could this be a cooling issue? The dummy temperature light never comes on, nor does the engine seem to be over-heating. I swapped the cooling system over to the normal setup several months ago (Pressure cap on the radiator). I have no leaks, and it does not lose any water. I'm going to install a water temp gauge to keep an eye on the temps just to make sure.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-29-2013, 01:33 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Before I rn a thicker oil, I would drain a quart of oil, add a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and run it for a thousand miles. Also, if it ticks on start-up, shut it off for 20 seconds and re-start. Does the tick go away?

Tags
comanche , renix , ticking noise

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in