Jeep Cj rocker arm help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-14-2021, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
GregorySawyers

Jeep Cj rocker arm help

Hey I have a 77 CJ with the 4.2, I recently started getting a horribly loud ticking/ rattling from the engine at any deceleration while in gear. So I pulled the valve cover and found several rocker arms had a decent bit of play. , I went ahead and ordered replacements for all of them and got them in today. When I got them torqued to 21 ft/lbs which is what my Chilton's guide said, the new ones had more play than the old ones. Anyone know what I did wrong? The rocker arm replacement I got was the MELLING MRK5412 which is recommended for my year and engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

The play is likely from the lifters going bad. Did you start the engine before checking the free play? If not, the oil drains out of the lifter and you will have excessive clearance. Need to run the engine a short amount of time to 'pump up' the lifters. Also did you check your pushrods for straightness when you had the rockers removed?

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 3 Old Today, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
GregorySawyers

No I haven't run it yet with the new rockers. I did find that when I first torqued the bolts down they seem to be pretty solid but after a few minutes it was like they weren't tightened all. I did pull all the push rods and check them over and put them back in their original holes and they all seemed fine. I'm fairly certain the old rockers were just pretty worn. the engine itself was apparently rebuilt about 50,000 miles before I got it and I've only put about 20,000 on it. Would lifters wear out that quick or was the person wrong about when they rebuilt it. I'll crank it when I get off work today to see if that will fix it. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in