Jeep axle ratios problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-14-2021, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
JC1970

Jeep axle ratios problem

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited, manual transmission with rear axle ratio of 3.21. It is factory rated with 1,000lbs of towing capacity. The same vehicle with axle ratio of 3.73 or higher is rated with a 3,500lbs towing capacity. Can I change out my differentials for the higher axle ratios? I want the 3,500lb towing capacity.

Side question; can I tow a 3500lb boat with my current version if I'm only towing the boat a mile, maybe 12x per year?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-21-2021, 01:55 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Yes you can change gears to 3.73. Either change gears inside existing axles or swap entire axle assembly. Sometimes people will swap the entire axle assembly because it can be cheaper.

I'd have no problem towing the boat 1 mile with your current setup. 3,500 lbs with the trailer, right?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-21-2021, 02:11 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
legally No. Nothing you add will change the rated amount. Long as nothing happens on the road few will care, if it does then it is a factor in any case.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

2020 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
legally No. Nothing you add will change the rated amount. Long as nothing happens on the road few will care, if it does then it is a factor in any case.
Kind of.

Insurance covers when you break the law, for example, when you're drunk.

But yes, there is risk you could kill someone and your insurance limits will not cover everything.

How much risk here? 1 mile flat roads? Easy boat ramp? Slow speed limits to the boat ramp?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-22-2021, 06:21 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The issue is mitigating circumstances . example would be say the incident was not in fact the towing vehicles fault but do to the FACT it is overloaded may play in how this case turns out... anyone gets harmed and now it gets into negligence, perhaps gross negligence.

INS, i never said a word about INS...

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in