I知 at a loss..

85 CJ7
258 inline
New fuel pump
New Weber carb
New distributor
New coil
New plugs

Timing light was bouncing all over and sputtered so darn much it occasionally would die. I did the ol nutter bypass thinking that was causing the sputter/timing off..? Now the timing/light has smoothed out/consistent after the bypass and a new coil (I think the coil smoothed timing light more than the bypass did). I still have a random sputter after all that and I can not figure out what the heck is causing this sputter. At times, it runs smooth as butter. I致e had compression looked at, I知 not sure but I trust the guy who said all 6 are fine with compression.

I致e had a couple shops try and diagnose it and they can稚 figure it out, either can I. I still don稚 know if it痴 fuel or electrical. I知 pretty sure it痴 not mechanical, like a sticky valve or something, as the sputter is totally random and doesn稚 seem to be specific to a certain cylinder or caused by anything that I can identify. The sputter is random, and through pretty much the entire throttle range.

If any of you have any advice...I壇 truly appreciate it!

Chris in KC

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

read up on some of the weber tuning threads on the CJ sub forum. Also which weber did you install? the 32/36 or the 38? the 32/36 is too small to tune properly on a 258. as for the timing marks moving around, pop the distributor cap and turn the engine clockwise until the rotor begins to move, the rotate the engine counter clockwise until the rotor begins to move the other direction. this will let you know if you have excessive slack in the timing chain/gears.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in